Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I love red

Not really. It's okay. But I used to. It was the first thing I remember having a 'favorite' of.

I took some time yesterday and examined this phenomena of 'favorite'. If pressed, I suppose blue is my favorite color now but when did it become so? As I looked at it, I determined that red stopped being my favorite color long before I identified it as such - so I kept responding to the question, "What's your favorite color?" with, "Red!"

Is it mental laziness? Perhaps that's part of it. I think though, that it was primarily simple loyalty to the me that decided that red was my favorite color that got me to not question it any more and just automatically and unconsciously answer that question the same way long after it stopped being true. And to make it worse, I didn't even realize that I was doing it.

After twenty-five viewings or more over a twenty-five year period, is Circle of Iron still my favorite movie? Seriously? After all the movies I've watched since then? If so, wow. Unlikely though. Favorite song? Same thing. How about it - blondes or brunettes?

How little do I really know about myself - whoever 'myself' happens to be. How much clearer would I see myself if I would simply wipe the slate clean every moment? How much better would I know myself if I forget who I think myself to be? Anywho, just thoughts...and thought to share them here.

lobsterBunks

Comments

• I have the same thing about rooting for rival teams. The 'big ten' is a conference of college football (you know with helmets and shoulder pads). The conferences are regional. I want to root for every team in my conference but I don't want them to get the glory if my favorite team cannot. So I tell myself I am rooting for these other teams in the conference but it is a lie. In reality I want all those teams to fail to get a better result for my team. Even when a player gets injured on one of these rivals a part of me is sad to see these young men who work so hard get injured, but another part of me is like: "sweet now their team is weaker".

yagr
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@yagr

I don't have favorite colors because to me there impact really depends on what other colors they are contrasting with.
    ....Which is pretty similar to how I think of myself... as a nexus where a data stream meets my responses to it. A no mans land between the fluidity of truth and the ego's efforts to rival it.

Perhaps the biggest delusion is thinking there was ever a you to know.

yagrEarthninjaBunksDavid
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Having favourites seems like hard work these days. Blue is nice though. ;)

yagranatamansndymorn
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Sadhguru says that favourites are because of karma.

Everything is an accumulation of karma/memories. The fact you like red or a certain movie is based an previous karmic accumulation.

Any volition we have ever intended has moulded us into who we are as a mass of conditioning. Likes, dislikes...

Free from ignorance = free from karma = free from red!

yagrlobster
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

redbit - plop!

Sorry - had to punish someone!

Geddit! Strop!

Nevermind!

yagr
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I'm not too big on favorites.

yagr
  • My favorite day is tomorrow :p

yagr
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I have a hard time answering what my favourite .... is, simply because I don't usually prefer one thing over another.

As to colours, purple used to be my absolute favourite years ago.
    Now I love greens, especially those in the cool range of the spectrum and some brilliant reds.
    Can't decide whether green or red is my favourite, though.
    I usually answer "My favourite colours are green and red."

I am a bit of a fetichist about books, too, and simply love to carry my favourite books around with me. I always think they might come handy for an imaginary situation I have not yet been able to determine, like being kidnapped by aliens or finding myself stranded somehow on an island without anything to beguile my days, go know...
    Problem, again, is I can't settle for one favourite, so I end up schlepping about six books in my handbag.
    All handbag bottoms are resented and I have overdeveloped shoulder muscles as a result of my book neurosis.

yagr
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2014

oops

• These are a few of my favorite things...

JeffreyyagrBuddhadragon
  • @yagr said:

How much clearer would I see myself if I would simply wipe the slate clean every moment?

You would be . . . transparent . . . all your favourite colours would get through . . . :clap: .

yagr
  • @lobster said:
    You would be . . . transparent . . . all your favourite colours would get through . . . :clap: .

Yes well, how could I tell a color from a sound though?

It has occurred to me on occasions such as this, that you took another spin on the wheel just to show up and make me smile.