Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Student Of The Path

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Nice to hear from you Jay.
    Sending love, light and blessings your way.....

lobster
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

John (me) is lay, Jason (moderator) is lay but extremely knowledgeable also I think.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Jayantha said:
    So it looks like my ordination date is confirmed. 110 days until I take lower ordination on my favorite holiday... Saturday, October 31st. Halloween!

Awesome. I hope they let you costume up as a 'Buddhist Monk'. o:) Bravo. Congratulations. Much metta.

I will be there in my best behaved spirit form if not in person ...

May all be auspicious. May all be well. May all be inspired. May all realms benefit.

edited July 2015

Will this be an open or closed thing? Will visitors be there?

If so....I'll plan the NB carpool! =) ... I told you I was coming to WV awhile ago....so this event looks like a good as time as any. If not....I understand....but the seed has planted for a NB roll up on you, nevertheless :mrgreen:

Around Halloween in WV folks....get ready....road trip to see our Brother/Monk Jay!!!!!!

RuddyDuck9

Sounds good. :)

I'll start a thread in Members only for anyone interested in meeting up/going.

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited September 2015

Started a little series as my countdown to ordination(Halloween 2015) begins...

http://jayantha.tumblr.com/post/128363009686/towards-ordination-part-1-two-months-to-go

[TOWARDS ORDINATION : PART 1 - TWO MONTHS TO GO.. AND NOW FOR SOME INFORMATIONAL POSTS.

As of yesterday(9-1) I am exactly two months out from my Pabbajja(The “Going Forth” from the life of a householder to that of homelessness) and I decided it may be good for my friends who are interested in following my journey if I would start making the occasional post explaining about what I’m getting myself into and what the ceremony is about.

Firstly I’d like to explain what this ordination means. This is only the first of two ordinations. In many ways it’s the least important and more minor of the two. I will not be a full fledged Bhikkhu(male monastic) after this ordination, but a samanera (Novice monastic). A Bhikkhu follows 227 major rules and close to 10,000 more minor ones, a samanera is not very different then myself as an Anagarika with the exception of following one more precept(that of not handling money) and wearing two of the three red robes.

Of course from the outside it looks like a big change, and I suppose it is considering I will have my head(and eyebrows) shaved and wear red. In essence as of Halloween, I will look like a monastic to any casual observer, but I will only be a monastic in training, a probationary monastic as it were. A year from now is when the big ceremony requiring 10 monastics and more occurs, after which I can truly be a Bhikkhu.

So I wanted to end with this sutta that I have memorized and will be reciting in the Pali, that is a summation of the change of life I am about to undertake. The Buddha requested that we always remember these 10 things:

XI. Discourse on the Ten Dhammas

Thus have I heard. On one occasion the Sublime One was living at Sāvatthī, at Jeta’s grove in the park of Anāthapiṇḍika. There the Sublime One addressed the bhikkhus thus: “Bhikkhus.” “Venerable Sir,” they replied. The Sublime One said, “These are ten things, bhikkhus, which one who has gone forth into homelessness should reflect upon always. What ten?

• “I am now changed into a different mode of life [from that of a layperson],”should be reflected upon always by one who has gone forth.

• “My life depends on others,” should be reflected upon always by one who has gone forth.

• “I must now behave in a different manner,” should be reflected upon always by one who has gone forth.

• “Does my mind upbraid me regarding the state of my virtue?” should be reflected upon always by one who has gone forth.

• “Do my discerning fellow bhikkhus, having tested me, upbraid me regarding the state of my virtue?” should be reflected upon always by one who has gone forth.

• “All that is mine, dear and delightful, will change and vanish,” should be reflected upon always by one who has gone forth.

• “I am the owner of my kamma, heir to my kamma, born of my kamma, related to my kamma, abide supported by my kamma. Whatever kamma I shall do, whether good or evil, of that I shall be the heir,” should be reflected upon always by one who has gone forth.

• “How do I spend my nights and days?” should be reflected upon always by one who has gone forth.

• “Do I take delight in solitude?” should be reflected upon always by one who has gone forth.

• “Have I gained superhuman knowledge which can be specially known to noble ones, so that later when I am questioned by fellow bhikkhus I will not be embarrassed?” should be reflected upon always by one who has gone forth.

“These, bhikkhus, are ten things which one who has gone forth should reflect upon always.” Thus spoke the Sublime One. The bhikkhus were pleased with and appreciated the Sublime One’s words.

edited September 2015

oh and also, a funny episode from a few weeks back:

This is a recent facebook post of mine, one in a series of ongoing posts related to being out in public in sarongs and robes:

"After 6 months wearing my Anagarika clothing i finally got the comment ive been waiting for. As usual lately today im in town,this time west, deeper into WV in the town of Romney bringing garbage to the dump and water samples to the health department. I stopped at subway and while im waiting for my food i hear "whats with the dress man?" not in a mean way, but in a surprised confused tone.

I turned around with a smile and saw two big burly contractor dudes who looked right out of the hills of Scotland and told them im in training to be a Buddhist monk. He looked at me thoughtfully, nodded his head up and down, and left.

It was an interesting encounter, and it seemed to me that I gave him the last answer he expected. I really enjoy these little encounters, they give me a chance to practice conversations that i suspect will be common in my monastic life.

Mostly what I get are shocked double takes, as in they saw something abnormal quickly and had to turn back to confirm what they thought they saw. It is especially funny for me when it happens with little girls, who seem the most expressive in terms of wondering why this person is wearing a dress. I've been asked if I was a Hare Krishna, and once of twice someone guessed Buddhist right, but mostly people have no clue and some decide to satisfy their curosity with a few questions."

federicaCinorjer
  • If this is the path you have chosen
    If you are comfortable with your decision
    If you feel have prepared well for this journey
    Then good fortune and success to you on your journey
    Don't ever stop learning

Peace to all

BunksdantepwCinorjer
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Good on you @Jayantha - your humility and honesty are inspiring!

• jayantha.tumblr.com/post/128875850322/towards-ordination-part-2-what-do-you-need

TOWARDS ORDINATION: PART 2 - “WHAT DO YOU NEED?” - THE FOUR MONASTIC REQUISITES AND A MIND NOT YET READY TO FULLY LET GO

There is a phrase I’ve heard once or twice so far as I come close to my ordination, and it’s the title of this article. It’s a phrase that fills me with slight dread, but one that I will have get used to hearing as once I ordain because soon “my life depends on others”, as the sutta in the previous article tells me to keep in mind.

Once I ordain, the four requisites of food, clothing, shelter, and medicine, are items I no longer will have the ability to provide for myself. This was a wonderful invention of the Buddha who created the fourfold assembly of male and female monastics and lay persons. This four-fold symbiosis meant that monastics could not do what was so often seen near 1500 years later in medieval Europe, where monasteries were fortresses that had their own lands, their own indentured servants, and ruled over the populace rather than depending on them and being beholden to them as Buddhist monastics are.

As a monastic living at Bhavana I will need shelter to live. Bhavana itself is that shelter, if it closed down because people did not feel it worthy to donate to and keep it going, then I would be without shelter. If there was no one anywhere to provide me shelter, I could no longer be a monastic. The same goes with food,clothing and medicine, which come either directly from people helping the monastic out or out of general funds donated to Bhavana for these purposes. Then of course there is clothing. The basic monastic clothing is a very simple three robe and a shirt affair, although it gets more complicated when it comes to winter clothing and the like.

The great thing about the Buddhist setup is that because I am beholden to the lay community, if I am a bad monk or don’t fulfill my end of the bargain, they can(and should) stop supporting me. A Buddhist monk is not supposed to be above reproach and untouchable. A Buddhist monk is not supposed to be able to hide behind a large institution that will hide what they’ve done wrong and shelter them, giving them a lifetime tenure of safety regardless of how they act. Of course there are places in the Buddhist world where this is EXACTLY what happens, because life is not perfect, but it wasn’t originally setup this way.

The Great Maha Kassapa, my favorite disciple of the Buddha, said that “he ate the countries alms food a debtor” until he became awakened. I am given these four requisites by lay persons, and this is a debt to be repaid. How does a monastic repay their debt? By striving in the practice, and teaching what they’ve learned. By being an example of the Buddha’s path for others to follow, which of course does not mean being perfect, but honestly striving with confidence, humility, and endurance. This is what I plan to do to the best of my ability.

So with that explained, back to my own experience and the reason for this post. Keep in mind that this post isn’t some kind of veiled attempt to “get” anything or claim that I am in need of anything. This is also not meant to dissuade those who want to help make sure I have everything I need. In this post I want to continue my plan of documenting experiences on the path, showing insight into the mind-states and thoughts that arise on the path of renunciation.

So what happens when I hear “what do you need?”? As stated above a slight feeling of dread arises as this is quite a complicated question and I am often unsure as to the proper answer. There are also feelings of joy in witnessing someone wanting to perform an act of good will and generosity. This is a brand new experience I often times don’t know WHAT I need, so I’ve spoken with the other monastics here about how they handle the situation.
    When I hear “what do you need” a balancing act comes up in the mind between asking for what I truly need, and what I don’t REALLY need but want. Between trying to ensure I do have everything I need, but not appearing to ask for too much or be a burden on those kind and generous enough to ask. In the end I’ve given people a few choices between helping me acquire clothing for winter, and the monastics in general needing more cloth for robes and the like, as most premade robes are not made for westerners and don’t fit well. I will be making my own robe as a monastic in the near future, something I am greatly looking forward to as a connection with the Bhikkhus of old who did such.

Another aspect of the mind in the process of renunciation, is the great American concept of self-reliance, which is a great skill for anyone to have, including monastics who often have to make do with what little they have. This however can also lead to thoughts such as “oh I’m going to need shirts, oh and a winter hat, and this or that; but what if no one asks and its winter and I’m cold! I know I can spend money now so I can make a “gift to myself” and buy these things with my own money!”.

I have always been self-reliant, never needing much help from others, and unskillfully not taking it when I DID need the help. This is something however that I’ve worked on greatly for the past half-decade and that I continue to work on as I move towards becoming a monastic. Totally letting go and REALLY allowing your life to be in someone else’s hands is quite a scary concept, but one truly essential to the life of a renunciant.

Of course then once I purchased the items I feel guilty because my own fear has led to me denying someone else the benefit of practicing generosity with me. Monastics are said to be a “field of merit”. Meaning that lay persons can practice generosity and freely giving by helping out the monks, which in turn also leads to the lay person sowing the fruits of being able to “let go” more and more themselves. Fear however has led to me robbing others of that opportunity, but since this fear is rooted in one of the most basic survival instincts, it is deep and pervasive in the human psyche. For this reason I am kind, forgiving and not too hard with myself.

I’ve heard it said that the more you give up, the more you get, and I see the wisdom in that statement as I ever so slowly move towards its acceptance, it will take some time.

SpooglelobsterCinorjer
    edited October 2015

jayantha.tumblr.com/post/131754726598/one-week-till-ordination

ONE WEEK TILL ORDINATION

As of tomorrow I have one week until my Sāmaṇera(novice monk) ordination. Since I have been documenting my “journey into homelessness” these last few years, I figure it might be beneficial to document my experiences as I come down to the final days of lay life.

While this ordination is important, and I am excited about it, I am also tempering this excitement with the fact that it is only the next step in the process to becoming a Bhikkhu, with Sāmaṇera ordination I am half way there. The day I become a Bhikkhu is the day I have been waiting for, for half a decade now.

That being said I had a thought occur to me at lunch yesterday that a week from now I’d be sitting in robes eating from a bowl, and that would be only a small part of the changes I will need to adapt to. The past half year or so has seen me memorizing all of the lines I need for my going forth, two of which from a sutta where the Buddha explains the 10 things that those who have gone forth should always keep in mind, has become a focus for me:

• “I am now changed into a different mode of life [from that of a layperson],” should be reflected upon always by one who has gone forth.

• “I must now behave in a different manner,” should be reflected upon
      always by one who has gone forth.

The past few months have seen me becoming more keenly mindful of my actions, some of which conform with monasticism, and some of which stem from 37 years of lay life and I’ve had to gradually work on habitually changing. A year into monastic living it is still an ongoing practice for me to learn how to “slow down” in body, speech, and mind.

Once I don the robes, I take on a 2600 year old tradition and my actions not only reflect upon myself, but that tradition and all other fellow monastics. This responsibility is not lost to me and I would never want to do anything through my actions that would harm how the sangha is viewed.

As I continue to go deeper into the practice, I see even further how much one must give up to attain the goal(Nibbana) and truly live this life as the Buddha intended, including the very notion of self itself. Truly going for the goal of the holy life is no easy thing, a goal that I’m not sure I’ll come close to in this life, but I see no other point to becoming a monastic then the ending of dukkha. The line below is part of my request to the senior monastics to be given the going forth:

• Venerable Sir, accepting this orange robe, please give me the going forth for me to practice the holy life to overcome all samsaric suffering and attain Nibbana]

and of course we have the Buddha's final words, which have called to me for years now and can be seen at the top of jayantha.tumblr.com: "Appamadena Samppadetha"- "strive with diligence" towards the goal.

Truly living this life will be hard, and only time will tell if I have what it takes, but I know from experience that if I continue to practice insight will comes in its own time, so I continue to do the best I can in following the path of the Buddha. It is well said many times in the suttas that becoming a monk doesn’t guarantee you peace and happiness, but having to actually put in the work will. I could sit around living a comfortable monastic life, or I can go for broke and live this life the best I know how, only time will show the results.

federicalobsterWalkerDavid
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2015

^^^ Outstanding!

May all go well. Your efforts are indeed part of 'the longest journey'. Go for broke. Nibbana or Nothing. Good plan. Don't forget to put it on Youtube for us feeble minded cyber fellowship followers ... <3

• ^^^ Wonderful news. Bravo. Look forward to pics and vid <3

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Aaaaawwwesome!!!

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Congratulations Jayantha.

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Nice one @Jayantha

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Well done

silver
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

Sadhu. :)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Such a nice young man!

Invincible_summer

public picture album is up, with some serious and funny moments captured:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10207528751757436.1073741841.1248631145&type=1&l=56d2c2d3c8

lobsterBunksVastmindInvincible_summer
  • ^^^ When will you be a full Jedhi?

BhikkhuJayasaraVastmindInvincible_summer
  • ^^^ Discipline is hard for padawans ... they must ensure they are not tempted. Bravo. You have an elder monk as confidante? Not sure what the term is? <3

@lobster said:
    ^^^ Discipline is hard for padawans ... they must ensure they are not tempted. Bravo. You have an elder monk as confidante? Not sure what the term is? <3

When I go out of the monastery it is proper for me to go with a more senior monastic yes.

• Buddha-DudeBuddha-Dude Canada Explorer

Stay focused and dedicated.

• :) Sadhu. Sadhu. Sadhu.

• Peace to you.

• That is awesome! Thank you for sharing this special part of your life with us <3

silverWalker
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    • Applauding and bowing *. (It looks ridiculous, but I mean well!! :lol: )
  • You have shared your quest.
    You have taken us on your journey.
    You have reached your gate
    and passed through
    May you walk your path in peace.
    May your lantern burn bright
    Even into the darkest night.

Bunks
  • Good question and answer <3 My question never comes up but then I never ask it ;)

Formal representation of the Buddha Way requires questioning the Sangha as if the Buddha Jewel is present.

Can we have access to the Q&A Buddha Box? o:)

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

This is great. Much metta to you.

_ /\ _

• ^^^ as always many thanks for sharing your journey. As lay practitioners many of us are familiar with some of the experiences you so honestly mention. Bravo.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Yes, thanks @Jayantha, for sharing your experiences. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all about it. This paragraph stood out to me, especially one particular phrase: "Now some words on my mind-states during seclusion. They ran the gamut as I’ve already explained. I would say in general my most common mind-state was peaceful determination. A determination to continue with this seclusion and with my practice, regardless of what arose. I’m no stranger to working through all kinds of negative, depressive and strong aversive/emotional mind-states."

That peaceful determination phrase just sorta registered with me as something important - the way to look at things in life, or something like that.

And the last paragraph was helpful: "Waking up each morning, doing all the “duties” and practices of a monk, and learning how to set my own purpose (a monk is a free agent, it is up to them to work on their own practice, their own education, their own purpose, no one can tell them or give them these things), I really feel like during this seclusion I finally made the switch over. I can’t say I remember when exactly the switch “clicked” in my mind, but there was a definite mindset change..."

Definitely, everyone sets their own purpose in life, but we're all too often unaware of it.

The graphics were excellent - the pale gray background and the double-spacing makes it a lot easier on my eyes. People just don't realize how important it is to choose wisely how their blogs etc. are going to look. Nice!

WalkerCinorjer
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Always find your posts interesting @Jayantha Thanks for sharing.

• Our ways differ, but I like your heart.

Peace to you

A talk I gave to college students and beginner meditators on what it takes to be a successful meditator.

and Q&A

edited April 2016

A talk I gave to college students and beginner meditators entitled "Right Effort and Right Attitude: what it takes to be a successful meditator."

and Q&A