Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation/Therapy/Baoding Balls

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited September 2014 in Meditation

Kia Ora,

Many moons ago whilst travelling through Asia with my ex we came across "Meditation Balls" ...(The pair we bought in Asia have long gone-where I don't know)

Anyway I had not seen them around for years then on Tuesday I was op shopping (a favourite past time of mine) and came across a pair begging me to buy them, so I bought them and then again today in different op shop I came across another pair so I bought those too... It's weird how in the space of a couple of days I find two pairs (They are two different sizes and weights)...

I quite enjoy using them....Do any members here use them? Or have tried them ?

For those who don't know what they are "a short introduction youtube clip"

Metta Shoshin . :) ..

Comments

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Never tried them with both hands at the same time, but yes, I used them many years ago.
    My only quibble was, when they fall (which especially at the beginning happens quite often) they make craters on the floor...

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2014

Could you use golf balls? ;) .

( cheap Spiny version )

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

yes, but the ringing sound isn't quite as melodic... and you have to keep shouting "Fore!!"

bravehawk
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited September 2014

@SpinyNorman said:

( cheap Spiny version )

You could but the effect wouldn't be the same once you got them going. They have bells or something inside them so when you get them going they hum.

I bought mine in the 80s and still use them from time to time but they are a little big.

I tried to post that few hours ago but it said the newbuddhist domain name was not renewed. Glad to see its back

• I began with a single pair. One for each hand. Once a certain level of skill was reached I added a second pair. If you stay with it you'll be amazed what you learn to do.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

My wife bought two of these recently at the local op shop as a toy for my kids!

I had no idea they had anything to do with meditation......

Your kids with these balls, @Bunks....
    you will think it is even less about meditation when you see what they do to your floor!

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I had a pair, and no matter how much or how hard I practised, I could never get as good at spinning them as the person in the video so I gave up....

I became rather proficient at spinning them with my right hand.
    Rather less with my left hand.
    But never ever attempted to spin them at the same time with both hands.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:

( cheap Spiny version )

Kia Ora @SpinyNorman,

Billiard or snooker balls should work just as well...Not that I've tried them...

Billiard balls might be expensive though. ;)

• I have those, both smaller ones with ringing sound and bigger ones made of stone. Haven't been an avid user but at least they do stimulate the muscles and nerves in the hands (and probably elsewhere as well) and helped me with 'text claw'. Don't know about their meditational qualities though, I guess they'd be more helpful with the Daoist energy circulation practices.

(Btw, Chinese imperial eunuchs used to call their thing 'bao' (meaning 'treasure', they kept it in a jar for burial), so... I just wonder... )

Shoshin

@SpinyNorman said:
    Billiard balls might be expensive though. ;)

Billiard balls don't do the "cling-cling" sound!

Anyway, I ain't spending my dosh on a load of balls. :D .

@SpinyNorman said:
    Anyway, I ain't spending my dosh on a load of balls. . :D ..

Kia Ora @SpinyNorman,

You can always ask a friend if you can play with their balls . :D ..

mmobravehawk
  • @Shoshin‌,
    :D You are very good with jokes. No offense to @SpinyNorman‌ though.

Sometimes I just set the jokes up. ;) .

@SpinyNorman said:
    Sometimes I just set the jokes up. ;) .

Kia Ora,

And other times you don't . :D ..