Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Introductory books on Dzogchen?

ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-  East Coast, USA Veteran
edited September 2014 in Meditation

Anyone know of good books or sources of Dzogchen teachings? I'm in the position again of wanting to learn about something that I couldn't find a teacher for (in my area), and Sam bleepin' Harris kept talking-up Dzogchen in his new book (Waking Up). He said as opposed to other practices that just "hope" you notice the absence of self, Dzogchen trains you how to look directly and perceive its absence, which I would like to know more about.

I wouldn't say my current/former meditation practices haven't gotten me anywhere, but I'm always in the market for better tools (or just more tools to try).

Hamsaka

Comments

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

After reading the Wiki, I think there may be a lot about Dzogchen that's not going to help me without a teacher. I'm looking for meditation instructions primarily, something I can use... if anyone can find that, I'll give them a cookie.

• This is Rigdzin Shikpo who is a Dzogchen teacher.

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

@Jeffrey There's a start. The other night I was actually allowing myself to feel all of my frustrations and fears at this point in my life, challenging myself to stare into that abyss and realize where they came from.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Lama Surya Das is a Dzogchen Lama, I believe....

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I have taken up Dzogchen practice recently, with a Shenpen group.

Lama Surya Das is a Dzogchen lama, as @federica said, and he has a very interesting introductory book on Dzogchen, with a CD with meditations, called "Natural Radiance."

Another introductory book which I found pretty useful would be Julia Lawless' "Beyond Words: Dzogchen made simple."

@Citta is also a Dzogchen. His teacher, Namkhai Norbu, has some very good books, which you can find on Amazon.

Toraldris
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

If you have an audible.com subscription, there are several audiobooks by Lama Surya Das, two or three are recorded teachings and then a book or two. I've been curious about dzogchen myself, I might grab one of these audios . . .

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Here is a link to Dharmaseed and eleven or so teachings by Lama Surya Das, looks like on his first book. This is where I'll start rather than with an audiobook.

Toraldris

I'm watching this right now and have learned a couple things: ("Introduction to Dzogchen" by Chögyal Namkhai Norbu).

edited September 2014

After completing a video on YouTube, similar videos come up to select. I'm watching one by a very fast-talking man by the name of Alan Wallace now. Reminds me of the new Doctor (Who), Peter Capaldi. I'm sure I'll be fixated on listening to Dzogchen teachers for some time...

DOH and YouTube lets you change speeds, but it won't let you go to something like 75% (even though it lets you speed up to 125%). Half-speed is too slow. Guess I just won't bother with all the things he says that I can't quite make out (mostly the names of lamas).

edited September 2014

I'm just having a field day here. It feels like another time I need to set aside all that I've learned, or think I've learned, and start from scratch. That doesn't invalidate the experience that I've had, nor does it mean I'm going with Dzogchen, but I don't feel like I've been putting the right amount of effort into getting to the bottom of "this". I need to be a beginner again for a time.

lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Nothing wrong with that!

lobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    I'm watching one by a very fast-talking man by the name of Alan Wallace now. Reminds me of the new Doctor (Who), Peter Capaldi. I'm sure I'll be fixated on listening to Dzogchen teachers for some time...

Alan Wallace is a wonderful teacher.
    He wrote this wonderful book on meditation, "Genuine Happiness," and another one on Lojong, the name of which slips my mind right now.
    And if you don't mind my adding this banal comment, I find him vveeerrryy attractive and handsome..
    :clap: ..

Toraldris

I love this here. They're pointing to the knowing (rigpa), not the known (the contents/arisings). In Shikantaza we're the awareness/knowing, but that's not what we're paying attention to... we're paying attention to everything else.

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

@AldrisTorvalds‌, a lot of what Ajahn Sumedho talks about is resting in awareness, just goes to show what someone told me on this board over two years ago that all turnings of the wheel of Dharma are as inherently empty as everything else.

And another, longer video about "Realizing No Self":

edited September 2014

@Lonely_Traveller said:
    AldrisTorvalds‌, a lot of what Ajahn Sumedho talks about is resting in awareness

But what's "resting in awareness"? Dzogchen seems to be pointing back at the awareness; like trying to look at yourself (as the awareness/knowing), instead of what's arising. It's a 180-degree turn from what I've understood Shikantaza to be, for instance. Observing what's arising/passing is something I'm familiar with. This is one reason I was looking into Dzogchen, that it seemed a different tactic.

Knowing the knowing? I'm not sure, it feels like trying to see your reflection without a mirror. Maybe what's actually being experienced is the nature of mind?

I think it's very subtle. Trying to realize that you are the mirror.

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    edited September 2014

Or realising the mirror and the mirrored are one and the same thing. I don't think any of us are really expressing what we are trying to say very well, probably because what we are trying to express isn't really expresable in words

Toraldris
    edited September 2014

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    I think it's very subtle. Trying to realize that you are the mirror.

But the mirror is the knowing, isn't it? Unaffected by what it reflects.

edited September 2014

@SpinyNorman said:
    But the mirror is the knowing, isn't it? Unaffected by what it reflects.

Yes, exactly. I think that's the entire point, and it's profound in its simplicity. If you take yourself to be the knowing, there's really no problem in what you are. Our problems arise when we take ourselves to be anything else. What I'm getting out of this so far is that other practices attempt to show you what you're not; Dzogchen cuts to what you are (rigpa). I may be incorrect about all of this, but I'm fascinated regardless.

It's a little reminiscent of "consciousness without surface" in the suttas. Not that I'm saying they pinched it from the suttas or anything... :D .

ToraldrisZenshin
    edited September 2014

@SpinyNorman said:
    It's a little reminiscent of "consciousness without surface" in the suttas. Not that I'm saying they pinched it from the suttas or anything... :D .

Whatever works. :)  

Zenshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora,

All this reminds me of a limerick I heard Alan Watts use:

"There was a young [wo]man who said though it seems I know that I know what I would like to see is the "I" that knows me when I know that I know that I know !"

Metta Shoshin . :) ..