Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thai Theradavadan abbot predicts own death, sleeps in coffin

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/760000-abbots-case-to-be-discussed/

Glad there's no supernatural stuff in Buddhism!

Chaz

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I can predict my own death.
    I can categorically state, without any fear of contradiction, that it will happen, one day.

Now, where's that shroud....?

Bunks
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2014

I noticed this ad at the top of the piece:

Ads by Google
    15-Minute Retirement Plan

:D .

HamsakaDandelion
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    :D .

Those rotating ads...I hate them. When I opened it the ad was about a dating service to meet Thai women...which is pretty supernatural, too.

• The monk started sleeping in a coffin? By this I assume the temple keeps a stack of coffins around and the man dragged one into his sleeping quarters. It's nice they finally took the man to a hospital for treatment.

Claims of people being able to predict their own death fall into the broad category of people who die either because they're old and decided it's time, or some life-long husband/wife died and they lost the will to live. Even this old skeptic acknowledges that the mind can be so powerful a controlling force on the body that under the right conditions we can shut our own body down.

@federica said:
    Now, where's that shroud....?

I think those are supplied by the National 'Elf. :D .

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

This os why seeking the truth isn't as helpful as just being open to the possibility of truth.

Seeking truth can drive you nuts.

DaftChrisHamsaka
  • Maybe it was the new Ikea coffin-bed.

Zenshin
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Oh those quirky Thai Theravadins. What will they do next?

vinlynChazlobster
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

I wouldn't be all that surprised if someone knew they were going to die shortly. I'd be surprised if it had anything to do specifically with "Buddhism", other than perhaps being mindful of the body.

CinorjerVictorious

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    I wouldn't be all that surprised if someone knew they were going to die shortly. I'd be surprised if it had anything to do specifically with "Buddhism", other than perhaps being mindful of the body.

Good point. Particularly if somebody had been practising like that for years and was very mindful indeed.

Victorious
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@vinlyn said:
    http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/760000-abbots-case-to-be-discussed/

Glad there's no supernatural stuff in Buddhism!

The other day you were glad you were a Theravedin/Secularist (whatever that means) so you must be having one hell of a week.

Actually, there's nothing supernatural about knowing you're about to die. Meditation practices such as Shamatha are meant to allow the practitioner to recognize the moment and to not cling to life in the face of it. You don't have to be a Buddhist to know that either, both my father (Methodist) and father-in-law (Lutheran) knew their ends were coming in a matter of days and were peacefully resigned.

Sleeping in a coffin is a bit wierd, maybe a touch crazy, but superstitious?

Makes me glad I'm a religious, Tibetan Buddhist. We deal with the death of our body in a much more pragmatic fashion.

Victorious
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

That monk was geographically lucky to just get away with a canonical knuckle rap.

In North America, we are all well indoctrinated since being knee high to a TV, that to not stake anyone found sleeping in a coffin is just an open invitation to join the undead.

Besides..I am not sure that sleeping in a coffin is really much of a practical prep for cremation.
    Perhaps the available urns were a tad too uncomfortable.

vinlynToraldrisChaz