Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Scotland Remains Part of the UK

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora,

It's over....Scotland remains part of the UK....

Metta Shoshin . :) ..

Comments

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

That's... great for everyone who didn't want to split, and not-so-great for everyone else? :D I've no idea how to "feel" about the issue. It would seem strange to me if Alaska wanted to secede from the United States, but I'm not sure if I could take any stance.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I think it was the right decision, based on what I have read. But not it's time for GB to take some actions to make all of the parts of the nation to feel equally represented.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited September 2014

Kia Ora,

I was speaking with a Scottish friend last night, she's moving back to Scotland in December...She'll be sad, she wanted independence....

It's interesting...If they did become independent, the nightmare would begin...Money, passports, and other important documents would all need to changed over...

Perhaps it's for the best and as you say @vinlyn Westminster needs to come to the party and allow Scotland and Wales more say in what goes on....

I feel sad for the Yessers and happy for the Noers, in equal measure (The Middle Way)

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

@Shoshin said: I feel sad for the Yessers and happy for the Noers, in equal measure (The Middle Way)

I'm with you there, though I'm not sure that's the Middle Way exactly. :D;)  

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    That's... great for everyone who didn't want to split, and not-so-great for everyone else? :D I've no idea how to "feel" about the issue. It would seem strange to me if Alaska wanted to secede from the United States, but I'm not sure if I could take any stance.

It seems pretty lame that Alaska is a state and not a province but hey.

robot

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    I'm with you there, though I'm not sure that's the Middle Way exactly. :D;)  

Kia Ora,

If the Yessers won... I'd be sad for the Noers but happy for the Yessers...I'm definitely somewhere in the middle . :D ..

edited September 2014

Yeah same here. I should've researched this while it was going on. Not much to be done now... (that's not to say I could've done anything, lol).

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    It's over....Scotland remains part of the UK....

55% "No" to independence, apparently higher than the polls were suggesting. I kept thinking of Mel Gibson in the film Braveheart for some reason. :D .

• Hi
    The scots have nothing under their kilts afterall

Slainte

edited September 2014

It reminds me of that old joke:
    "Is anything worn under the kilt?"
    "No, it's all in perfect working order."

ToraldrisVictorioushow
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

HURRAAAAAH!!

(Being part Scot, part British and quite a bit more of several other things, I for one am delighted!)

Well at least they're less likely to invade England again now.... :p .

• Now it's all over I hope the government do the decent thing and go back on all their promises for more powers to the Jocks. And actually, talking of power, they should be made subject to North Korean style random rolling blackouts, and their internet should be censored so the only search term they can use is "England is great".

Alex the salmon and the Scottish National Party should now be held personally responsible for the entire cost of the ballot, and should be presented with the bill, all personal and party assets should be seized and auctioned, and any shortfall should be added to tax bills/deducted from benefit payments in the land of the free.

And to finish; as a direct punishment to the yes voters; Buckfast and Irn Bru should be outlawed, and all stocks be destroyed in public.

You know, you wouldn't even have a Jock if it wasn't for a Geordie getting drunk and going over the border and mating with a pig. That's a historical fact that is; happened circa 1325. The Sweaties lack gratitude; that's their problem. They wouldn't even have roads up there if it wasn't for the English (and the Irish who probably built them; Paddies have always been good with a shovel).

Rant over!

• Well I'm not, and it's really nobody's business but those, like me, who actually live here.

The Yes campaign achieved a huge 46% of the vote, no mean achievement in the face of a Westminster Establishment led campaign including ALL the media including the BBC. What is shows is there is deep discontent with the UK and how it is run. I don't see anything delightful about that.

Hamsaka

@Tosh said:

They wouldn't even have roads up there if it wasn't for the English (and the Irish who probably built them; Paddies have always been good with a shovel).

Yes, they are just so ungrateful. Too many viewings of Braveheart if you ask me ( and even there the Irish saved the day ).
    :p .

Tosh
    edited September 2014

I just noticed that here in the UK the news coverage has background music which sounds like it's from the film "Gladiator"....it conjures up a strange image of Alex Salmond in the arena wearing a kilt.... :D .

@poptart said:
    Well I'm not, and it's really nobody's business but those, like me, who actually live here.
    The Yes campaign achieved a huge 46% of the vote, no mean achievement in the face of a Westminster Establishment led campaign including ALL the media including the BBC. What is shows is there is deep discontent with the UK and how it is run. I don't see anything delightful about that.

Though to be fair a Yes vote would have had a major impact on the other bits of the UK.
    But do you think Westminster will honour the promises made for greater devolution? I'm dubious that they will.

Kia Ora,

It says "this video is not available in your country". :D .

• We can't view your video @Shoshin, but this one is pretty funny if you like that kind of thing:

It makes me smile.

The Westminster politicians are now scrabbling to make capital out of the No vote. Not very edifying.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Tosh said:
    We can't view your video Shoshin, but this one is pretty funny if you like that kind of thing:

It makes me smile.

The Scots have their picturesque Highland Fling, the irish their energetic 'Riverdance', the Welsh have Nantgarw and the English have their Morris Dancing.... Whatever your opinion of the above, Life is celebrated through Music and Movement. I don't think there's any nation on the planet that does not have such exuberant expression of their personality and culture.

• Well, one good thing that comes of this, the government in London had to promise a bunch of reforms and such when they realized those crazy Scotts just might do it.

ToraldrisHamsaka

I believe to now recant on those promises will prove to be an unmitigated disaster, and national tragedy. We MUST follow through with the assured reforms, or it would be political and national suicide. There is no choice. WE must comply and deliver the goods.

Toraldrisvinlyn

My guess is that the promises won't be fully delivered, and that this whole thing will re-play in 10 or 20 years.

Hamsaka
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2014

@Shoshin said:
    Kia Ora,

I was speaking with a Scottish friend last night, she's moving back to Scotland in December...She'll be sad, she wanted independence....

It's interesting...If they did become independent, the nightmare would begin...Money, passports, and other important documents would all need to changed over...

Perhaps it's for the best and as you say vinlyn Westminster needs to come to the party and allow Scotland and Wales more say in what goes on....

I feel sad for the Yessers and happy for the Noers, in equal measure (The Middle Way)

Why would introducing new money, passports, and other docs be a "nightmare"? It sounds kind of exciting, like a fresh start.

@poptart How much of a majority would have been required for secession? A simple majority (51%), or more? How close was the 46% vote?

• I think out of great compassion, we all ought to pray for the happiness of this unfortunate 'Yes' voter:

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited September 2014

I wondered, what about all those Scots living in England and further abroad. Did they get to cast mail-in ballots, or would they have to return home to vote?

No, I think there was a condition of residence to register for the vote.

• @SpinyNorman said:
    No, I think there was a condition of residence to register for the vote.

And the age was lowered to 16 years old.
    :o

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited September 2014

Alex Salmond resigns eh! It's lucky they didn't win then.

I guess 19th Sep will be celebrated as Dependence Day in Scotland now and I bet William Wallace will be spinning in all five of his graves.

vinlyn
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2014

@Tosh said:
    I guess 19th Sep will be celebrated as Dependence Day in Scotland now and I bet William Wallace will be spinning in all five of his graves.

It might become like those "Burning Man" festivals they've been having in desert regions of the US the last 10 years or so. Britain will get burned in effigy, or something. :p . September is the month when those festivals occur, too. Scotland is right on schedule.

Tosh
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2014

@Tosh said:
    And the age was lowered to 16 years old.

Really scraping the bottom of the barrel for votes, eh? So, how close to winning was the 46%? Did it require a simple majority, or 2/3, or what?

I think it might be interesting if Scotland got independence. It might develop closer ties to Norway, with which it has historical and linguistic ties, not to mention the potential for collaboration in oil production technology, and so forth. Kind of intriguing to speculate. From across the pond, anyway. ;) .

• @Dakini said:
    So, how close to winning was the 46%? Did it require a simple majority, or 2/3, or what?

Just a simple majority.

@Dakini said:
    I think it might be interesting if Scotland got independence.

Yes, it would be. It would also drastically change the rest of the Union, I think.

• Look on the bright side. This time it was decided in the ballot box instead of the battlefield.

Hamsaka
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Images of a sweating Mel Gibson, in blue face paint, wig askew, double handing his ballot into the box and crying "freedom", does seem a tad more civilized.

• @how said:
    Images of a sweating Mel Gibson, in blue face paint, wig askew, double handing his ballot into the box and crying "freedom", does seem a tad more civilized.

Cinorjer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2014

wow! A pity that the most recognizable Scotsman to fight for freedom is Australian.

ToshzenguitarSkeeterkbChe
  • zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

Not that I'm really qualified to comment on this...but I'm a little disappointed your flag won't be changing to pop like one of these colorful designs:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/03/will-this-be-the-uks-new-flag/284234/

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2014

THIS ONE! Probably a bit too wild, though, for the conservative Brits.
    http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/newsroom/img/mt/2014/03/UnionJack2.0/lead.jpg?n20smi

• I am curious. Who is allowed to vote in the referendum?
    Is it any british citizen residing in scotland?

• @hermitwin said:
    I am curious. Who is allowed to vote in the referendum?
    Is it any british citizen residing in scotland?

Yes, or any citizen from the EU membership or British Commonwealth (most countries that were part of the British Empire and who choose to be part of the Commonwealth).

This explains it better:

http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/the_independence_referendum/faqs_for_young_voters.aspx

• Thanks tosh. I just wonder how many % of the voters are of scottish descent.

Anyway I always root for the underdog.
    I was hoping yes would carry the day.
    The English was brutal towards the scots after defeating them in 14th/15th century.
    of course today, a scot can be the PM of britain.

Still, it would have been really interesting to see Scotland becoming independent.
    It would still be part of EU, so it should be fine.

I dont believe the naysayers.

The germans paid a lot to unify their country in 1990. Today they are the strongest economy in EU.

"How the Scots invented the Modern World."
    My mother has this book. It's incredibly fascinating and I recommend it.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2014

@Tosh said:

Yes, or any citizen from the EU membership or British Commonwealth (most countries that were part of the British Empire and who choose to be part of the Commonwealth).

Anyone from anywhere in the EU or the Commonwealth who was living in Scotland at the time? So someone from Romania who had moved to Scotland months before the referendum could vote on Scotland's future? An Aussie or Canuck or South Asian on a temporary work assignment in Scotland for a year or two could vote on Scotland's future?

I'd say that if a potentially significant number of disinterested parties were allowed to vote (I wonder if it's possible to count how many of such people registered for the vote), the 46% Yes result is especially meaningful. I wonder how the vote would have turned out if there had been some kind of long-term residency requirement for "foreigners". How was residency defined, and what was proof of it?

Oh well. What's done is done.

• @Dakini, there's a school of thought that the whole of the UK should've been able to vote since it affects us all as a whole.

FROM THE UK NEWS:

LONDON (The Borowitz Report) – In the aftermath of Scotland’s “no” vote in the referendum on becoming an independent country, Queen Elizabeth II, of Great Britain, took to the airwaves on Friday morning to inform the people of Scotland that she “graciously and wholeheartedly” accepted their apology.

“Although the matter of independence has been settled, one question remains very much open,” she said in an address televised across Scotland. “And my answer to that question is this: yes, I forgive you.”

The Queen made only scant reference to her obscenity-laden tirade on Thursday, in which she reamed the Scots for even considering breaking away from the United Kingdom.

“Like any parent with a naughty child, I became a little cross,” she said. “I forgive you for provoking me.”

The Queen ended Friday’s address to the Scottish people on a conciliatory note. “Let us all, each and every one of us, move forward now as one great nation, enjoying the benefits and the history of our glorious and historic union,” she said. “Even the forty-five percent of you who are 'beep beep'[edited for decency].”

DairyLamaCinorjer
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Tosh said:
    Dakini, there's a school of thought that the whole of the UK should've been able to vote since it affects us all as a whole.

Sort of like when Governor Rick Perry of Texas brought up secession, and many in the rest of the country said please do!

ToshHamsaka