Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Western non-theism

zenguitarzenguitar Bad BuddhistNew England Veteran

Hail, precious Sangha. Can anyone think of a Western philosophy or spiritual movement that is non-theistic (or at least not theistic) and focuses on disciplining the mind, like Buddhism? I can think of one at least: Stoicism. Any others?

A related question, which can probably spark tomes of debate: Why did theism (in the form of Christianity) become so influential in the West, whereas in East Asia, this has been sidestepped largely in favor of non-theistic worldviews like Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism?

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited September 2014

Skepticism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_skepticism

As for your latter question regarding theism in the West, I think that's a massive question and not so straightforward. Confucius - for example - certainly believed in gods; for definite though there's a difference in emphasis in his teachings from Christianity as in Confucius didn't believe that the gods really cared about our moral behaviour; he believed they were happy if the right religious ceremonies were performed. He believed that the relationship between us and the gods was similar to that of a peasant and a king.

As for the spread of Christianity, the Romans had a strange relationship with it; often at different times and places they made Christianity illegal and persecuted Christians, eventually making the religion legal, and then adopting it as their official religion (Emperor Constantine I think). So wherever the Roman Empire spread, so did Christianity (though that might be a huge simplification).

zenguitarToraldrisDavid
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@zenguitar said:
    A related question, which can probably spark tomes of debate: Why did theism (in the form of Christianity) become so influential in the West,

Largely because Constantine made Christianity the state religion of Rome.

whereas in East Asia, this has been sidestepped largely in favor of non-theistic worldviews like Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism?

As a rule, religion reflects the culture it's found in. The success of that religion is dependant on how flexible the system is. Christianity adopted elements of religions it encountered as it spread westward. There's a lot of paganism found in modern Christian traditions and practices. Coincidentally, Buddhism went through similar conditioning as spread from India.

These changes occurred because they worked within a given cultural context. If Christianity was unworkable it was discarded.

This was a natural process - one similar to survival of the fittest. It also doesn't seem to be intentional or forced. A bunch of Christians just didn't up and decide to add Christmas trees to observances to the birth of Jesus, and even though there was institutional changes were made, like the observed day if His birth, it wouldn't have stuck if it simply wasn't working, culturally.

zenguitarHamsaka
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Given six or seven hundred more years, I wouldn't be surprised if Christianity et al grew up a little.

No offense intended, but the Abrahamic folks are relatively young.

FWIW.

zenguitarToshlobster
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

I love how @Tosh brought up Skepticism, but as a Skeptic I've never viewed that as a "philosophy or spiritual movement". That's why I'm a Buddhist too. :)  

zenguitar
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Simply recognizing yourself as a human being is a kind of philosophy or spiritual movement, if you want to get really nondualistic about it.

zenguitar
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Yeah, I don't think I ever chose to be skeptical or had to nurture my skepticism. I certainly never had to lean on my faith in skepticism.

It's kind of a loaded question @zenguitar‌

I don't think theism is any more popular in east or west because it really varies from individual to individual (the need for belonging aside)

zenguitar
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited September 2014

/. delete plz ./

• @AldrisTorvalds said:
    I love how Tosh brought up Skepticism, but as a Skeptic I've never viewed that as a "philosophy or spiritual movement". That's why I'm a Buddhist too. :)  

Skepticism is intelligent and healthy, but not to be confused with cynicism.

And not to be confused with the original Cynics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynicism_(philosophy)

Which is another non-theist school of thought.

Hamsaka
  • zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

Thanks everyone, a lot to ruminate upon here.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@genkaku said:
    No offense intended, but the Abrahamic folks are relatively young.

Not really any younger than Buddhism.

Chaz
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2014

Moved to 'General Banter'.
    'Advanced Ideas' is for the discussion of controversial or obscure matters relating to the Suttas and teachings and the interpretation of same.

Thanks.

• maybe some forms of psychology . . . . eg
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@lobster said:
    maybe some forms of psychology . . . . eg
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy

I love Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
    Though we stray from the philosophy heading, I would add Emile Coué and William James.