Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Karma and the Smartphone

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

A blog entry from Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche with a few reminders of how to mix Modern Technology with Buddhism....

" In the modern era we need to be even more convinced of virtue, having resolve in terms of who we are and how we want to manifest. Generally, the best approach with technology is to consider our dignity and concern for others....

Even though technology has advanced our ability to communicate, the five basic parameters of karma are still in place: raising the intention, deciding to do the action, preparing to do the action, doing the action and having no regret. We can decide to either apologize or to chastise an individual, and once the "send" button is pushed, the karma has been initiated. Afterward, if we sit there satisfied, it is a complete karmic act. That action does not go unnoticed"

In what ways are you mindfull about communciating with the latest technology?

In what ways are you not?

First, heres his blog entry .....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sakyong-mipham-rinpoche/karma-and-smartphones-how-to-use-technology-from-a-buddhist-perspective_b_3365310.html?utm_hp_ref=buddhism

Me? I'm trying to cut down on texting. Especially with people I'm trying to be tighter/closer with. Talking and discussing issues out needs to be done/learned in person....bonding isn't the same over text...hahaha
I've caught myself texting over pretty big subjects just bec I'm trying to avoid conflict or discomfort.

ToshShoshinBunkslobster

Comments

• @Vastmind said:
    Me? I'm trying to cut down on texting. Especially with people I'm trying to be tighter/closer with. Talking and discussing issues out needs to be done/learned in person....bonding isn't the same over text...hahaha

That's a good one; me too.

Another thing I do is not to look at the caller ID of who is calling me; I just answer the phone rather than vet my calls. Maybe this is an 'A.A. thing' where we often get calls from other A.A. members, in particular guys I sponsor. I'm always telling them to pick up the phone (rather than a drink) so it's unfair that I try to avoid them when it's inconvenient for me to take a call. Or can't be bothered.

So I pick it up and say "Hello?" and go from there.

Shoshinlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora,

"We can tell if we have been served well by technology if we feel uplifted, informed or delighted by it. These are signs that the encounter was virtuous"

Metta Shoshin . :) ..

Vastmind
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I haven't got a mobile phone and don't want one. Horrible things, they make people very unmindful and neurotic about communication. So there! :p .

Vastmindlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    I haven't got a mobile phone and don't want one. Horrible things, they make people very unmindful and neurotic about communication. So there! :p .

Kia Ora,

Not smart enough to have one perhaps . :D ..

On a serious note, I have a friend (a very happy Buddhist) who doesn't have access to a computer or a mobile phone, and he doesn't miss them one bit...He likes to 'write' letters and only uses the landline when necessary...

Metta Shoshin . :) ..

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited September 2014

@SpinyNorman said:

Funny you say that...I caught and continue to catch alot of smack from people bec my children are not allowed to have phones until 18. For alot of reasons. I'm not judging those who have....but I sure have received buckets of judgment for not. My 18 yr old for her b-day got her very first phone (iphone). The pic is in the member thread...her smile says it all....hahaha. I'm proud of her though....she caught alot of peer pressure for not having one and that same judgement I'm sure was harder for her to take as a highschooler than me. It was for all good reasons though.....

One laptop in the house...for homework, and I am there to supervise. No gaming systems...until they were about 8 ( and that's cause my mother-in-law bought it
    for them .. :grumble: ....) I have Strict rules/times on it...... One TV in the house....I've just tried to be very mindful about what they were exposed to and had access to...especially as young children...and FWIW...I am seeing it pay off as they get older. AFA their ability to be connected and feel for others and have a sense for what RL really means .. ;) ..

Side note...I have a cheap old phone...but when I just learned/saw what facetime was !!!

.. :eek: .... who knew the Jetson's stuff would happen one day? lolololol

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited September 2014

The smartphone technology has some positive things, though.
    Until two months ago, I had no idea what Twitter was.
    Now, thanks to Twitter, I'm receiving information from different Buddhist sites directly on my phone, anywhere, anytime, which would take me hours to collect surfing on the net.

Edit: forgot to add that I have many friends scattered all over the world and technology has brought us closer.

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

^^^ I know, right!!!!! Thanks to Skype my mom gets to see the kids and family talk to family all the way in Africa!

BuddhadragonShoshin
  • The question is who is using who.

We are entering a symbiotic relationship with communication technology. Full integration is still evolving.

Next generation HUD and reality enhancement devices will add benefits and of course potential pitfalls.

Twitter, Skype/Facetime/VOIP, can be used positively. Like Facebook, they can be addictive slot machines.

Skilful usage is everything.

Well that is my opinion, which is deformed rather than informed by the Internet generation and the smart correct keyboard (corrective typing) that is making my mistakes redundant, without my permission...

VastmindHamsaka
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited September 2014

@Vastmind said:
    ^^^ I know, right!!!!! Thanks to Skype my mom gets to see the kids and family talk to family all the way in Africa!

Same here! Grandma and uncle in Buenos Aires see my son through Skype.
    Last week, my son had his birthday and we were able to blow the candles together.
    Impossible to believe fifteen years ago!

@lobster said:
    The question is who is using who.
    Skilful usage is everything.

Technology is at the service of communication.
    Communication comes uppermost.
    We have the chance to bridge distances with our beloved. We have the chance to communicate with people from different cultures. We have the chance to learn without recurring to an encyclopedia every time.
    It's technology being at my disposal, not me getting enslaved by techonology.