Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Would you fly on the Boeing 787?

Would you fly on the Boeing 787?
There is suggestion that corners are being cut.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Not only would I fly in it, I'd pitch a small tent and make my home in it. Come what may, I'd have fun flying while it lasted!

There are so many ways to die, to choose from, this may be as good as any other.
    (I may however, buy earplugs to shut out the desperate screams of all the other passengers, while I try to meditate my way into a fortunate rebirth.)

She said, ever the optimist....

lobsterVastmindJeffrey
  • hi
    No need for the earplugs the Oxygen masks the others are using
    will muffle the screams allowing you to meditate in peace.

slainte

Hamsaka
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I'm never going on a plane again! :eek2: .

• I thought the 787 was great after a number of rides on the 777. It's smoother, quieter and roomier. With a way better entertainment system.
    If they start dropping out of the sky I guess I'll feel differently about them. Likely they would all be grounded long before it got any more dangerous to get on one than on any other plane of that type.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited September 2014

Please, we're flying to Buenos Aires next week-end...
    Let's not even mention things like plane crashes to me right now...

• I was on 15 planes last winter. I'm a believer.

What model does British Airways have?
    I'm flying with British...

Anything British is bound to be reliable. :p .

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited September 2014

@robot said:
    I was on 15 planes last winter. I'm a believer.

Ditto. My hubby works for the airlines.

Try not to live in fear. Anyones chances of dying in a plane crash are pretty slim.
    If your looking for places that your most likely to die....don't get in a car....or don't wake up tomorrow.

If it does happen.....there's nothing you can do about it anyway.

• @DhammaDragon said:
    What model does British Airways have?
    I'm flying with British...

They have lots. Here you go:

http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/British-Airways

edited September 2014

I've done hang-gliding, flown in light aircraft and been ferried around in army helicopters with mad pilots, but I still hate flying on commercial airliners. I know they're quite safe really, but they just feel so claustrophobic. :-/ .

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited September 2014

Most people would be more surprised how the bags of mail are treated....and dead bodies are in cardboard boxes in cargo.

That big bag of mail fell in a big puddle in a rainstorm? "F" it....

That dead guys arm fell out of the box when the ties came undone?
    Toss it back in

Unless it's a military or someone important that people are watching...bodies aren't sacred to people who don't know you.

.. :D ..

They have tightened up on some rules and it depends on the airline...now, You have to be in a casket first or body bags, etc, so liquids and smells don't escape...but like I said...depends on alot of things/locations.

OP...your welcome. Discussing bodies on planes is how you meditate on death...not the fear of beforehand....hahaha

DairyLama

@SpinyNorman said:
    Anything British is bound to be reliable. :p .

My grandpa was British and was highly unreliable...
    :D ..

vinlynDairyLamaBunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    Please, we're flying to Buenos Aires next week-end...
    Let's not even mention things like plane crashes to me right now...

You're 28 more times likely to die driving to the airport than on the plane (if it's any consolation)

Buddhadragon
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    I've done hang-gliding, flown in light aircraft and been ferried around in army helicopters with mad pilots, but I still hate flying on commercial airliners. I know they're >quite safe really, but they just feel so claustrophobic. :-/ .

It's the sardine effect. And they're designing them to be more claustrophobic all the time. Now passengers are getting into fights over reclining seat backs. Road rage has taken to the skies.

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Cabin-Rage.....

I love the dramatic music in the background!

Any chance a media outlet gets to dramatise ANYTHING to do with flying (knowing one in ten people has a fear of it) they'll run with it.

• I despise flying on commercial aircraft. It doesn't help that I'm 6-4. My favorite plane is a C-17. Definitely the most leg room.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Over the years many flights to and from Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia. As the years passed, the treatment of passengers declined. We were treated especially badly on a KLM flight from Indonesia. But the worst was when I was moving back here to the States after living in Thailand. My bags were overweight...I knew that...fully expected to pay the extra fee, but the person at the ticketing window at LAX just screamed at me to throw away some of my belongings. I haven't flown in the 4+ years since. My only consolation was that on most of my flights I could go business, which once on the plane was pretty nice.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

. :coffee: .. Astral travelling's the only way to fly . :om: ..

Bunks

@vinlyn said:
    Over the years many flights to and from Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia. As the years passed, the treatment of passengers declined. We were treated especially badly on a KLM flight from Indonesia. But the worst was when I was moving back here to the States after living in Thailand. My bags were overweight...I knew that...fully expected to pay the extra fee, but the person at the ticketing window at LAX just screamed at me to throw away some of my belongings. I haven't flown in the 4+ years since. My only consolation was that on most of my flights I could go business, which once on the plane was pretty nice.

LAX = worst airport I have been to.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Bunks said:

In some ways, yes. Although once back around 1970 I was flying into Rochester, NY, and the pilot announced: "We are now landing at the Monroe County Airport in Rochester, New York. Welcome to the 19th century."

Bunks

@Bunks said:

The name "LAX" doesn't inspire much confidence. :p .

Bunks
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    The name "LAX" doesn't inspire much confidence. :p .

. :coffee: .. @SpinyNorman is that short for laxative ? and if this is the case then all I can say to @vinlyn is, I'm sorry that they gave you a hard time, but that's life....and s@*t happens.... . :D ..