Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

concept/illusion/delusion

any concept is an illusion

taking that concept (illusion) as real is the delusion

think, speak, work over such delusion is the ignorance

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

any concept[ion] (thought) is an illusion

taking that concept (illusion) as real (true) is a delusion

Therefore, this thought contradicts itself, if truth indeed is sought.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Strange to think, on occasion, how forceful the criticisms of "concepts" might be (think Huang Po) and yet expressing such criticisms exposes little more than a fertile earth for new and improved concepts.*

*See New Buddhist threads. :)

Shoshin
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

The way we are now means we need good concepts to override the bad ones. Then we drop both.

I need the concept of non-self to see through the deluded self so I can break the duality.
    How great is this game called life!

Buddhadragon
  • In my opinion & I'm sure this will go down like a lead balloon like most of my stuff, but here goes anyway..There is no concept of non self apart from being mind identified as their past story so far, so in actual fact most people already have the concept of non self..They just don't know it & can't see it, obviously because over the years they have already identified their self as their mind which is the non self..They should all be trying to realise their real self, but won't bother because someone once said it's nothing!lol :-)

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2014

@upekka said:
    any concept is an illusion

taking that concept (illusion) as real is the delusion

think, speak, work over such delusion is the ignorance

@upekka

In Zen, this is often a teaching about how a teacher watches the student for whether they have yet understood that everything is changing or not.

A concept is considered an illusion because with everything constantly changing, a concept held onto is simply a snap shot of whatever has already moved on.

To act on such a concept instead of objectively reassessing that concept in whatever moment you find yourself in, means that you have not yet grasped the significance of what "everything changes" really means...and that such a held concept really just points out a life GPS that is still ego bound.

Buddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Concepts are a useful contrivance to move about in the conventional reality of truths, rather than Truth.
    Of course, they are meant to be transcended and not to be taken too seriously...

• There is no concept of non self apart from being mind identified as their past story so far, so in actual fact most people already have the concept of non self

I don't understand how you reach your conclusion in these @Daveadams. You say there is no concept of non-self and then somehow you get to people already have a concept of non-self. Not following you, ??

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2014

what you see now is Illusion

be not deluded

if possible to 'let this go because there is no delusion'

Wisdom arises and there is no ignorance

• Earthninja said he needs the concept of non self to see through the deluded self, but the non self's perspective is what he & everyone else is until they become aware of their real self..So he can't ever get the concept of the non self until he becomes his real self because he already is the non self (mind identified), & as the saying goes to see the farm you have to first leave the farm..So there's no concept of the non self to find only one to shed, & that can only be done be finding the real self which can only be done by training until realising. :-)

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Concepts can be very helpful, if used as tools in the application of understanding.