Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Emoticons: What do they all mean ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited September 2014 in General Banter

. :coffee: .. There're words like aol, vimp, nyah, just to name a few...I've got no idea what they mean...So could somebody please be a sweety and explain the more obscure ones to this ol' dinosaur lady who is way behind the times... Thank you in advance.... . :) ..

Comments

• You're a dinosaur lady? That's awesome! For some reason I thought you were a twenty year old guy.
    Can't help with the smilies.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@robot said:
    You're a dinosaur lady? That's awesome! For some reason I thought you were a twenty year old guy.
    Can't help with the smilies.

. :) .. I might come across as a sharp witted twenty year old boy (with all their brain cells intact} but body and brain wise, I can assure you I'm a female carrying a few extra decades and a few less brain cells... . :coffee: ..

Hamsaka
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2014

@Shoshin said:
    . :coffee: .. There're words like aol, vimp, nyah, just to name a few...I've got no idea what they mean...So could somebody please be a sweety and explain the more obscure ones to this ol' dinosaur lady who is way behind the times... Thank you in advance.... . :)

lolol! You just have to guess from the expression on each one's face. You can use them any way you see fit, it's like your opportunity to get creative and fun, and goofy. :crazy: .

Enjoy! :vimp: .

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2014

@robot said:
    You're a dinosaur lady? That's awesome! For some reason I thought you were a twenty year old guy.

I thought she was a Maori guy. With all the "Kia Ora"-s. :) .

We're actually short a few crucial emoticons. A bunch of us begged the admins/mod for a few more once, but our pleas fell on deaf ears. :( . For example, unlike other Buddhist forums, we don't have a praying hands emoticon. Those are du rigeur on Buddhist forums. I don't know how they overlooked that one. We need a rolling-on-the-floor-laughing one, and a snooze one would be good. Even so, we do have a pretty cool collection.

edited September 2014

@Dakini said:
    Enjoy! :vimp: .

. : Wooowhoooooo . :clap: .. Thanks... I'll just go . :crazy: ..

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Dakini said:

:( . For example, unlike other Buddhist forums, we don't have a praying hands emoticon. Those are du rigeur on Buddhist forums.

I reckon 'e got 'em cheap somewhere. :p .
    A Boodist set would be more expensive.

SarahTBuddhadragon
    edited September 2014

@robot said:
    You're a dinosaur lady?

. :coffee: Yes I train dinosaurs for a living....

. :coffee: .. How to roll over and play extinct dead . :scratch: ..

Buddhadragon

There are small dinosaurs too, some of them are quite cute apparently. :p .

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The komodo Dragon and crocs and alligators are dinosaurs.... One gentle nip between those jaws, and I'll tell you who'll be extinct....

Buddhadragon

@SpinyNorman said:
    There are small dinosaurs too, some of them are quite cute apparently. :p .

. :coffee: .. Yes but whatever you do DON'T FEED THEM they are wild animals and quite unpredictable . . :nyah: ..

. :) .. Here in Aotearoa we have our own dinosaur the "tuatara" . :rockon: ..

We have dinosaurs in the House of Lords. :D .

Shoshin

. :coffee: .. I thought they were old dinosaur fossils . :D ..

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Well, they're prehistoric, I'll give yer that.....

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2014

@Shoshin said:

. :) .. Here in [u]Aotearoa [/u] we have our own dinosaur the "tuatara" . :rockon: ..

>

So, Shoshin, are you Maori?

edited September 2014

. :coffee: .. @Dakini

The short answer "no" I'm not Maori, I'm Afro-Saxon but have lived here for most of my life...
    I respect the people, land, culture and language and sadly "no" I'm not fluent in the Maori language...
    Due to my Afro-Saxon background & appearance (all year round tan and curly hair) I'm often mistaken for Maori Pakeha(white Kiwi) mix ...Until that is I open my mouth to speak and out comes a Cockney accent... . :D ..
    . :) ..

Hamsaka
  • Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. I think that when people use that coffee emoticon they mean "whatever". Or like "whatever you say pal". Know what I mean? Or "I've heard all this before. I'm bored".
    It strikes me as one that is vaguely insulting when I've seen it used around here.

vinlynVastmind
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

@robot Crap I thought it was a drinking game, except with coffee. I'm super wired right now, probably will be up for hours and hours to come. Anyone for a game of chess?

Shoshin
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2014

@robot said:
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. I think that when people use that coffee emoticon they mean "whatever". Or like "whatever you say pal". Know what I mean? Or "I've heard all this before. I'm bored".
    It strikes me as one that is vaguely insulting when I've seen it used around here.

It can be used condescendingly. But one can use it any way that strikes one's fancy. I'm getting the feeling that the OP likes it, and is tending to use it as her signature. Maybe she's a devoted coffee drinker. Besides, who says it has to be about coffee? I'm a tea drinker. :coffee: . Or maybe it's orzo.

Get jiggy with it, robot! :rocker: .

Shoshin

@robot said:
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. I think that when people use that coffee emoticon they mean "whatever". Or like "whatever you say pal". Know what I mean? Or "I've heard all this before. I'm bored".

. :) .. From what I gather they are quite harmless, unless that is, one chooses to put their personal spin on them...

For example . :wtf: ... could mean "who cares" "whatever" or has a Singaporean friend use to say "What the fish" instead of "What the f@*k" .

Personally I wouldn't worry about it Pete.... BTW I might use . :coffee: .. to mean I'm interested but I'm not overly concerned... , :) ..

robot
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited September 2014

Emoticons don't work here, if I am not mistaken? Truly Buddhist forum, eh?

Before this thread starts to go off the rails, please keep in mind that my OP was to find out what the different emoticons mean/represent...and not for emotions to run high (pun intended) @Dakini's explanation does make life easier....

• @robot said:

You're absolutely right. . :coffee: .

ShoshinDairyLama

@Shoshin said:

Before this thread starts to go off the rails, please keep in mind that my OP was to find out what the different emoticons mean/represent...and not for emotions to run high (pun intended) Dakini's explanation does make life easier....

>

Good call. ;) .

@Shoshin said:

...Until that is I open my mouth to speak and out comes a Cockney accent... . :D ..

Bleedin' cockneys get everywhere. :p .

• SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

Have to admit I use the word in ::s to understand a lot of them but :orange: comes from the word orange. Not sure when (if ever) I would use this one or what I would understand by its use .... Bewildered?

????? :orange: ????

@SpinyNorman said:
    Bleedin' cockneys get everywhere. :p .

. :coffee: .. Believe it or not...There's a tribe of "Cockney" Maori, who don't pronounce their H's . :wow: .. ...Cockneys rule ! . :thumbup: ..

• I still can't get emoticons to work despite trying to read threads explaining how.

• @SarahT said:
    Have to admit I use the word in ::s to understand a lot of them but :orange: comes from the word orange. Not sure when (if ever) I would use this one or what I would understand by its use .... Bewildered?

????? :orange: ????

I use it to indicate suspicion, or cautiousness, depending on the situation.

• @Jeffrey said:
    I still can't get emoticons to work despite trying to read threads explaining how.

It's easy. You plug them in just like we always used to. But that's not enough, now, for some reason. So you add a period (.) afterwards. I do: emoticon + space + period. Take a look at the ones in everyone's post. Most of them have a period or dot dot dot afterwards.

Then practice, and you'll get the hang of it. :) .

• Sometime I take :coffee: as someone saying like 'I am not fussed up about this'_

• :D .

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

;)  
    :)  
    :D  
    :coffee:  

If you've got a good memory, or a piece of paper, make note of   (ampersand-nbsp-semicolon). It's the HTML code for a space. You can put it after any emoticon at the end of the line (or on its own line) instead of putting some other character.

Vastmind

@Jeffrey said:
    :D .

. :om: .. That one means "I've recently been to the dentist and got some new dentures"
    . :thumbsup: ..

Jeffrey
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

.. :mullet: ... This one is begging for an explanation ....

Hippy with suntan?

Vastmind

Mullet = idiot, hick, dumbass.

This one is a little surreal:
    :aol: .

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2014

@SpinyNorman said:

It's a good one to post when someone gets trolled, or bombarded with hostile responses. That never happens here anymore, though, thanks to some assertive moderation that happened a few years ago to chase the chronic trolls off the site. Thanks, mods/admin!! :clap: . :thumbsup: .

The 'emoticon' in front of the PC, is a newbuddhist member.

. :aol: .

The fist flying out - is in all probability, mine.

ShoshinHamsaka
    edited September 2014

@SpinyNorman said:

. :coffee: .. It's normally the other way round . :D ..

... :lol: .

edited September 2014

... :computerproblem: .

That's from another forum but it doesn't work here - doh!

You're right...it doesn't.... :( .

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    . :coffee: .. Yes but whatever you do DON'T FEED THEM they are wild animals and quite unpredictable . . :nyah: ..

Depends on what you feed them with... ;) ..

Shoshin

@federica said:
    You're right...it doesn't.... :( .

It's from a forum where they have a nice dharma-friendly set, so I thought I'd try smuggling one out - but it seems they are like those supermarket trolleys that stop working when you leave the car park. :D .