Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interesting reference to Buddhism and religion in general

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2014/09/30/cnn-tonight-reza-aslan-bill-maher.cnn.html

The discussion is regarding extremism in Islam, but professor mentions the general way that people operate within a religion, and specifically mentions Buddhism. The entire video lasts about 5 minutes and 30 seconds.

Comments

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Raza makes a very clear point (right after his mention of the Buddhist monks in Myanmar killing women and children); people are violent, oppressive and murderous; to generalize certain people's behavior into an 'Islam means violence and oppression' is logically faulty (not to mention perpetuating dangerous assumptions).

It would be a very different world if human beings, in a generalized way, were educated and capable of logical thought :buck: wouldn't it?

What Raza can't deny is that violence/oppression/murderousness happens concurrently with groups that identify themselves as Islamic, with Islam as their raison d'tre. That's not what we are being TOLD, it's something to witness directly.

Bunks
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Hamsaka said:

What Raza can't deny is that violence/oppression/murderousness happens concurrently with groups that identify themselves as Islamic, with Islam as their raison d'tre. That's not what we are being TOLD, it's something to witness directly.

Although I agreed with his general point, this was the one weak part of his argument.

Hamsaka
  • @vinlyn said:

Why do you say that?

Hamsaka's comment, which I quoted, says it all.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited October 2014

@vinlyn said:
    Although I agreed with his general point, this was the one weak part of his argument.

Agreed. I wonder why he even bothers? Well, I know why, and I do understand. Against the atrocities of their actual behavior lately (if the media is feeding us the fair information) Raza's argument appears . . . inadequate.

Considering the videos and messages ISIL is putting out, including the beheadings, I don't think I'd blame the media this go around.