Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Zen Buddhist priest

zenguitarzenguitar Bad BuddhistNew England Veteran

Good evening, Sangha. I have heard the term "Zen Buddhist priest" bandied about, but I wonder what exactly it means. Does it map neatly to traditional Asian titles like roshi, osho, shike, etc. Or is it more like a generic and vague Western rubric that has no exact equivalent in traditional Zen hierarchies?

Comments

• It's an American word subbing for a Japanese I think. But yes it is a recognition of accomplishment or designation of role in the sangha.

zenguitar
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

The term Zen Buddhist priest can be used to refer to a monk who has been given license to teach
    or
    it is some times be used by schools who require celibacy of their monks to refer to monks who belong to the schools who are not celibate.

zenguitar
  • zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

Ok, got it, thanks. Also I have always wondered which schools allow their clergy to get married versus which require celibacy. It has always been a little bit of a mystery to me.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I think as zen is a mahayana tradition and not theravada, then celibacy shouldn't be a problem.

In fact celibacy shouldn't be a problem - period! If it is, you've got a problem with trying to control your desires and we all know what that leads to - frustration, guilt and sometimes monstrous activities!

But don't let my liberating take on letting yourself be free to indulge your sexual desires upset you!

... \ lol / ...

zenguitar