Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lojong Slogans - Four Practices Are The Best Of Methods

"When you do something good, try to remove any add-on of self-congratulation or righteousness. When you make a mistake, try to remove any add-on of self-punishment or guilt. Instead, simply commit yourself to refraining from such actions in the future. Tune in to whatever arises as a way to reconnect with kindness and awareness."

http://www.tricycle.com/web-exclusive/train-your-mind-four-practices-are-best-methods

There is a lot to consider here.

Humility, Self-Compassion, Mindfulness and Loving-Kindness.

Sometimes I find it very difficult to remove righteousness for myself. One of my challenges I suppose. How do you maintain these teachings without stumbling back into ego?

Am I wrong to forgive myself for my past poor choices? Is the only way to salvation by means of punishment?

These slogans are beautiful.

WanMinBuddhadragonVastmind

Comments

• The third practice is to offer to the döns. Döns are sudden attacks of neurosis that seem to come from nowhere in a sudden burst. When you are taken aback by such a dön, the idea is to take that as a gift. It shakes you out of your complacency so you should be grateful.

Interesting I don't understand if these attacks are coming from the inside, like a sudden crisis, or the outside?

Well about guilt I believe the point is if it makes us change.

• Maybe external attacks are covered in this:

The fourth practice is to make offering to the dharmapalas, or “dharma protectors.” Dharmapalas are said to protect the integrity of the teachings and keep an eye on practitioners who lose their way. They are guardians of awareness. When we are caught in self-deception or unmindfulness, the world strikes back. The idea is that we should not only appreciate that, but invite it.

So the third would be how to react to one's neurotic attacks and the fourth to the outside attacks that happen when we become unmindful and self-deceptive?

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@AllbuddhaBound said:
    Sometimes I find it very difficult to remove righteousness for myself. One of my challenges I suppose. How do you maintain these teachings without stumbling back into ego?

Am I wrong to forgive myself for my past poor choices? Is the only way to salvation by means of punishment?

Yes, @AllbuddhaBound, these slogans are beautiful.
    I have been working with them on and off for several years.

Righteousness makes no sense for me, since what works for me might not work for someone else. We all come from different places, and have our own paths to follow.
    I try not to be judgmental about other people's choices (as long as they are not judgmental about mine, that is .. :p..)
    And whenever you think you've come too far, anyway, some humbling experience will always bring you back to square one

Self-punishment, as in guilt, makes no sense either.
    Take in the blows, internalize your past poor choices, learn, strive to make better choices in the future.
    We're always learning. No need to berate ourselves. It never helps.