Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist cheat sheet

zenguitarzenguitar Bad BuddhistNew England Veteran

I thought this was fascinating: the Dharma in one handy cheat sheet. Also doubles as an eye chart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_of_Buddhism#mediaviewer/File:Dhamma_Chart_in_English.gif

Rowan1980ToraldrisHamsaka[Deleted User]ChazShoshinmmo

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran

A very monastic view of the path.

lobster
  • zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

And if that's not enough for you, there is also the Pali version:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_of_Buddhism#mediaviewer/File:Dhamma_Chart_in_Pali.gif

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

See, I think the Pali version got the proverbial shaft. The first one was color-coded! :p

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

Wow pretty cool chart. Would be meaningless to a non-Buddhist, especially as the section on Nibbana just says "nibbana with residue remaining" and "nibbana without residue remaining (parinibbana)". :D  

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Reminds me of something Thanissaro Bikkhu would create. He has a gift of breaking the Dharma down into manageable pieces and simple 'yes/no' binary processing :D . A lovely chart, I've saved it.

@Hamsaka said:
    Reminds me of something Thanissaro Bikkhu would create. He has a gift of breaking the Dharma down into manageable pieces and simple 'yes/no' binary processing :D . A lovely chart, I've saved it.

Cool. So does this mean a computer could attain nirvana? :) I guess a topic for another thread...

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited October 2014

A computer doesn't experience suffering any more than a car, so without suffering and without awareness there's neither need nor expression of "nirvana".
    There I saved ya making a thread for that... ;)  

[Deleted User]zenguitar
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

In a way, I'll bet it would be a fairly straightforward process to 'computer nirvana'. It just wouldn't be all that helpful to non-computers :D .

Rowan1980lobster
  • verify and give meaning that is what we do. We give meaning to words. The meaning is what is important. The word can change with any launguage. The meaning can't if it is the same.
    That is why you must verify and give meaning especially to what the Buddha said.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@Rowan1980 said:
    As I've heard on one of the dharma podcasts I listen to: People of other religions wrestle with their God. Buddhists wrestle with their lists.

That's so true.

• I admit that the chart is well done (and cool). But I find it amusing that there is a caption at the bottom of the page that the author wrote, which says, "I created this file in Photoshop entirely by myself."

ha!

Shoshin

@Toraldris said:
    A computer doesn't experience suffering any more than a car, so without suffering and without awareness there's neither need nor expression of "nirvana".
    There I saved ya making a thread for that... ;)  

I don't know about that, what about the "Happy Mac" and "Sad Mac" symbols? ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_startup

Rowan1980
  • mmommo Veteran

I think good addition to the diagrams would be some interactivity. For example, with some javascript, you could be able to switch on and off some components (arrows and blocks). In that way, the noisiness in it could be reduced and make it easy for beginners possibly.

Rowan1980
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I've looked at it several times now, and I think it's a crock. Not everything benefits from visualization...and I say that as a person who learns best from visualization. It's too damned complex to fully comprehend. Someone had too much time on their hands. The basics of Buddhism aren't that difficult to comprehend.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

agree @vinlyn - the basics are either an internal dialogue with your real self or a teacher. CHEAT SHEETS!

What spiritual or material crap do you want to live with!

• The basics of Buddhism aren't that difficult to comprehend.

Comprehension is one thing. Implementation another as we know or experience.

When ready, Mr Cushion is ready . . .
    I luvs my cushion <3