Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Which Buddhist practices have you found most beneficial or healing to you :)?

Hi everyone :D

Wishing you all metta :D

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Initially for me it was just to study the teachings and develop my insight practice to overcome my general youthful brand of idiocy. Lately, a practice more focused on love and compassion has been helping me work with some of my emotional issues.

VanilliTreeLuvr87
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Tranquillity meditation has been particularly helpful. I also find being in nature very calming.

Vanilli
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi @Vanilli (can I call you Milli?) :smiley:

Remembering impermanence has certainly helped me. When I'm struggling mentally I can remind myself that soon it will pass and I'll be happy again. It also reminds me that when I'm happy that I shouldn't get too carried away with it.

VanilliRowan1980
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes, I have to say, impermanence and the transitory nature of things has hitherto been a greatly supportive teaching.

That and admirable friendship... That's been really wonderful, recently....

VanilliRowan1980
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

Tonglen practice is priceless.

Rowan1980
  • Hi everyone :)! Thanks for taking the time to comment :) - these practices sound very intriguing :D - I can't wait to read more about them :)!

That's interesting what you guys mention about impermanence Bunks and federica :) - I have never really applied that one in day to day situations (beyond learning and meditating) but I can see how that would be very helpful :).

Personally I am really enjoying loving kindness meditation :) - I have been doing it daily. It really helps bring peace and happiness to myself, my mind and I think overall my relationships in day to day life. It's a really nice feeling :). I also enjoy using the antidotes very much - recently I have been doing non-attachment and the anger antidotes - they are very freeing!

• @Bunks said:
    Hi Vanilli (can I call you Milli?) :smiley:

Remembering impermanence has certainly helped me. When I'm struggling mentally I can remind myself that soon it will pass and I'll be happy again. It also reminds me that when I'm happy that I shouldn't get too carried away with it.

Hi Bunks :D<3 ! Haha sure you can :):p

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    I'm still a newbie to Buddhism, but, thus far, I've found analytical meditation--especially on impermanence, death, and equanimity, Tonglen, and purification practices like Prostrations to the 35 Buddhas and Vajrasattva meditation to be very helpful in different areas. I'm also just a sucker for reading the sutras and dharma texts in general.
    lobsterBuddhadragon
  • @Rowan1980 said:
    I'm also just a sucker for reading the sutras and dharma texts in general.

Ooo me too :D! I devour them haha :)! I'm relatively new to Buddhism too - I'd say I have been interested in it for a couple of years but have only started seriously practising and becoming really knowledgeable (well comparatively haha) in the last 7 months :). I find the purification practices really daunting right now - but I'd like to work my head around them.

BunksRowan1980lobster
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

Plain old meditation has worked wonders for me.
    Started with Mindfulness of Breathing (Anapanasati).
    Now practicing Shikantaza (Zazen).

howBuddhadragon
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

@Chaz said:
    Tonglen practice is priceless.

Priceless!

Rowan1980
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Anapanasati is the most beneficial for me.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

"The true expression of the Noble Eightfold Path is to see the world as it is (wisdom), to behave in keeping with the actual situation at all times (morality) and to be at one with what we are doing right now (meditation)."
    (Dr Desmond Biddulph - The Buddhist Society)

Wisdom, ethics, meditation: the three pillars of Buddhism.
    Not that I always succeed, but I aspire to include practices from all three throughout my day: skillful choices, compassionate living, mindful dwelling in the here and now.

Rowan1980
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited November 2014

Taking Refuge and Mantra Meditation.

Lately, logging off :p ..

Rowan1980
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

The Eightfold Path <3

howRowan1980
  • Which Buddhist practices have you found most beneficial or healing to you :)?

All of them . . . I am just a dharma dog, Buddha whore and meditation junky . . .
    There is no hope for me . . . or actually there is . . .

Depends on needs and circumstances. Any commitment to a daily Sadhana, practice, puja, meditation, chant, mindful walking, Śīla, study etc.

The most useful, that not everyone is ready or able to benefit from as they may develop an aversion, is undoubtedly meditation.

B)

Rowan1980Kundo
  • Every time I commit to a daily loving-kindness meditation I experience new shifts in my being. It has truly helped me in the past with self-forgiveness and other issues.

lobsterBuddhadragonShoshin
  • Verifying and giving meaning

• Sound practices; mantra, dharani, etc.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

To a possibly quietistic Buddhist,

Coming here introduces a new mind to a new moment.
    or at least..
    The aerating of my mental compost.

ShoshinKundo