Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Procrastination & Dharma Practice

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited November 2014 in General Banter

When it comes to Dharma practice...Are you a procrastinator ?
(Putting off until tomorrow what can or should be done today-in the hope that if you leave it long enough ...it will just fade away) :D

Well what you waiting for ??? :D

Earthninja

Comments

• @Shoshin said:

No.

I could do more but if I could do more I would. :D

SarahT
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Strictly speaking, I see my whole waking day as my Dharma practice.
    In that respect, it's not so much about procrastination but rather, living up to the task that is the problem.

The training, that is, my meditation session, let's say, sometimes, yes, it's hard to start up the engine.
    But since I know it is a fundamental point in the Dharma training, I squeeze a session whenever I can, wherever I can sometime in the day.

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

...What "tomorrow"....?

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@Shoshin said:

(Putting off until tomorrow what can or should be done today-in the hope that if you leave it long enough ...it will just fade away) :disappointed_relieved:

Actually, the question you should be asking is "Am I a procrastinator?".

Well what you waiting for ??? :D

What are you waiting for?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited November 2014

"Procrastination is the practice of carrying out less urgent tasks in preference to more urgent ones, or doing more pleasurable things in place of less pleasurable ones, and thus putting off impending tasks to a later time, sometimes to the "last minute" before the deadline. "

For some no doubt ....Meditation practice comes to mind.... o:)

@federica said:
    ...What "tomorrow"....?

The one that never comes.....

Even though I know I'll emerge elated from my meditation session, it's true that some mornings the prospect of going through those thirty to forty minutes sitting on the cushion seems daunting.
    Good thing is I always manage to do it anyway.
    lobsterShoshinRowan1980

"Actually, the question you should be asking is "Am I a procrastinator?"."

Well are you ? :D

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Well are you ? :D

Why is it so important for you to know? Looking for validation based on what others do?

Relative to your experience , what I do or don't do makes absolutely no difference.

@Chaz said:
    Why is it so important for you to know? Looking for validation based on what others do?

Relative to your experience , what I do or don't do makes absolutely no difference.

@Chaz it's of no importance whatsoever...

• howhow Veteran Veteran

My motivation to meditate is not thinking of meditation as some specific activity to be done at some specific place.

It is seeing that this one instant is the only real time that it is possible to ever meditate in.

lobsterShoshinSarahTHamsaka

@how said:
    My motivation to meditate is not thinking of meditation as some specific activity to be done at some specific place.

I use every possible moment as an excuse to do deep breathing: queuing at the bus stop, on the bus, walking down the street, at the supermarket...
    We take our meditation with us wherever we go.

lobsterVastmind
    edited November 2014

I sooo missed your cushions, @lobster... <3
    I'll put that one on a leash!

Hamsakalobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Shoshin said:
    Chaz it's of no importance whatsoever...

>

Then why ask?
    I sometimes wish people would think about whether typing anything is worth it. :angry:

Chaz