Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thai Buddhist sect claims Buddha teaching protects its finances

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
edited November 2014 in General Banter

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777843-buddha-forbids-state-oversight-of-temples-coffers-buddhist-group-claims/

Hmmmm. Monk in Thailand claims that Buddha's teachings forbid government oversight of temple finances.

Interesting example of "church" versus "state".

Comments

• Money and weapons were found in a raid...weapons? And does anyone know why a temple would keep that much cash around instead of putting it in a bank account? Seems mighty suspicious to me.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@Cinorjer said:
    Money and weapons were found in a raid...weapons? And does anyone know why a temple would keep that much cash around instead of putting it in a bank account? Seems mighty suspicious to me.

I don't think it's that uncommon, but don't know why.

Not long ago the Karmapa got into a bit of a scandal over a large amount of cash found in his monastery, or some place like that. As I recall it was in the millions. A LOTof money.

What I gleaned from the news, was that some group that the Kagyu office was doing legitimate business with required cash as do a number of legit businesses in India as I understand it.

Weapons, though, that's another thing. Maybe the monastery is getting robbed and/or the monks are being assaulted. I don't get it, really, but as I'm sure @vinlyn‌ will agree, the expression of Buddhism in Asia, is oftentimes quite different than in the West. It may not be entirely fair to judge.

Hamsaka