Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Instrumental Music Helps

In the 70's I sold all my rock albums and listened only to Jazz until the 80's due to too much word input. Once again I am listening only to Jazz from many Buddists and other spiritual related artists. But this time it is to be able to keep my mind clear. Don Cherry, Alice Coltrane, Freddie Hubbard and Stan Getz get lots of turntable time.

Mahavisnu Orchestra really jump started my love for spiritual based music which led me back to the originators in Jazz. My exception is George Harrison,

Rowan1980

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

George was my favorite Beatle.

I'm not into jazz all that much, but I did happen upon one - I heard about him in a new age type catalog and bought his cd (song below featured on it) - Euge Groove -

• zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

@33_3 said:
    In the 70's I sold all my rock albums and listened only to Jazz until the 80's due to too much word input. Once again I am listening only to Jazz from many Buddists and other spiritual related artists. But this time it is to be able to keep my mind clear. Don Cherry, Alice Coltrane, Freddie Hubbard and Stan Getz get lots of turntable time.

Mahavisnu Orchestra really jump started my love for spiritual based music which led me back to the originators in Jazz. My exception is George Harrison,

Hi @33_3, that's all great stuff. I'm sure you've heard them, but if not be sure to check out Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter, two tremendous musicians who happen to be Buddhists.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited January 2015

George Harrison wrote my favourite dharma related tune of all time (Within you without you on Sgt Peppers).

You've just inspired me to go listen to it. Thank you!!!!! <3

33_3
  • 33_333_3 Veteran

@zenguitar said:
    Hi 33_3, that's all great stuff. I'm sure you've heard them, but if not be sure to check out Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter, two tremendous musicians who happen to be Buddhists.

I am reading Herbie Hancock's book now. I listened to him in the 70' s and he shaped my love of fusion. Weather Report is a stellar experience.

• 33_333_3 Veteran

@Bunks said:
    George Harrison wrote my favourite dharma related tune of all time (Within you without you on Sgt Peppers).

You've just inspired me to go listen to it. Thank you!!!!! <3

Just reorganized my records weeding out non meditative music, George Harrison is one of the few lyricists. I was 14 when I discovered Living In A Material World.

Bunks

@33_3 said:
    I am reading Herbie Hancock's book now. I listened to him in the 70' s and he shaped my love of fusion. Weather Report is a stellar experience.

Yeah, I like good fusion too, though HH and WS were really amazing (IMHO) in the mid 60's with Miles Davis's purely acoustic "second great quintet."

Of course, their religion is immaterial to me. It's their playing that really matters. :smile:

• 33_333_3 Veteran

@zenguitar said:
    Of course, their religion is immaterial to me. It's their playing that really matters. :smile:

Watched a musicians workshop today with Chick Corea and Stanley Clark acoustic. Chick played with Miles in the 60's as we'll. I have been curious about certain musicians sources of inspiration. Knowing Don Cherry and others practice Buddhism gives insight into their work.
    Jazz in and of it self has always been mysterious and with no boundaries,

I love jazz, or any great music for that matter. By the way, Chick is a Scientologist. Speaking of Buddhism, you might also want to check out guitarist Steve Tibbetts, he seems to be heavily influenced by Tibetan Buddhism. He is not really jazz, not really rock either, very unique stuff, often quite intense. I saw him perform live once, accompanying the chanting of some Tibetan nuns, and it was very moving.

33_3
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

A jazz musician I discovered a couple of years ago, Melody Gardot, is also a Buddhist. She suffered a brain injury, and music played a powerful role in her recovery. I love her first two albums, though I'm not sure how spiritual her music really is.

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

One thing I should add is that Melody Gardot is a vocalist, so she may not be what the OP is looking for. Sorry....

• 33_333_3 Veteran
    edited January 2015

@zenguitar said:
    I love jazz, or any great music for that matter. By the way, Chick is a Scientologist. Speaking of Buddhism, you might also want to check out guitarist Steve Tibbetts, he seems to be heavily influenced by Tibetan Buddhism.

Bill Frisell is also hard to put into jazz or experimental , Tibbets follows same tag in my opinion. Mediation for me can be for several hours each day when I listen to music. The lack of lyrics cleans my mind more each time. This is not new, I have followed Miles, Coltrane, Corea and many guitarists. Santana's 70's work is also pretty nice.
    Lyrics seem to take control of my thought too easy unless in a foreign language or chants...
    Curious about those who know Classical if they feel the same?

Bill Frisell is something else, he has a kind of loopy, experimental as you say style. I also like Santana, there is an exceptional DVD of him performing with Wayne Shorter.

I know something about classical as well. :smile: Since most classical vocal music tends to be sung in a language I don't understand very well (e.g. Italian, German, Latin), I find it doesn't attract my attention much. I usually just focus on the melody and harmony instead.

That being said, I don't listen to music when meditating, it's too distracting, even without vocals. :smile:

• @zenguitar said:

That being said, I don't listen to music when meditating, it's too distracting, even without vocals. :smile:

I used to listen to Ravi Shanker while meditating, it seemed to help a lot. These days I am just restarting my home practice, so I'm trying different ways, with tonal vibrations, different music, etc.

@Amthorn said:
    I used to listen to Ravi Shanker while meditating

Yes, he was great, and his daughter Anoushka is a great player too.

Amthorn