Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What's your favorite dessert?

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

What are some of your favorite sweets?

My top three are.... pineapple upside cake, key lime pie, and ice cream! Oh....carrot cake not far behind....

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Ah...a serious topic! XD

My favorite restaurant has a light lemony cheesecake that is near to my heart.

In the summertime, I enjoy these cherry-mango flavored ice pops.

For the most part, I have to stay away from them all as much as possible and I used to be addicted to ice cream so now only on rare occasions will I get a box of Hagen-Dazs treats (3 per box).

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Impossipudding. Ate some today, and it was just amazing.

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

Strawberry cheesecake. 'Nuff said.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@federica said:
    Impossipudding. Ate some today, and it was just amazing.

>

Never heard of it...is it anything like chocolate mousse?

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    Anything with peanut butter and chocolate.
    Vastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2015

@silver said:
    Never heard of it...is it anything like chocolate mousse?

>

Nope.
    Want the recipe...? ;)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Ice cream and then more ice cream, at least 2 litres... ;)

Vastmind
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Chocolate mousse or panna cotta.

edited January 2015

Cannot eat ice cream unless the temperature hits 30degrees C and I'm in Città di Castello, Umbria, Italy, eating world-class, prize-winning gelato!

Primi classificati gli studenti Andrea Fortuni e Gaia Mancini dell'istituto "Cavallotti" di Città di Castello con il loro "fondente di kaki e castagne"

>

Translation:
    In first place, Culinary Students Andrea Fortuni (M) and Gaia Mancini (F) from the 'Cavallotti' Establishment, in Città di Castello, with their persimmon and chestnut sorbet.

Buddhadragon

@federica said:
    Cannot eat ice cream unless the temperature hits 30degrees C and I'm in Citta di Castello, Umbria, Italy, eating world-class, prize-winning gelato!

Oh, yes! Ice cream in Italy is the only ice cream I'll eat.
    Straciatella.
    Bucketfuls!

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Snobs! :wink:

Goody goody gumdrops ice cream from NZ is pretty awesome!
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    ditto licorice ice cream.
  • ShakShak Veteran
    edited January 2015

@nakazcid said:
    Strawberry cheesecake. 'Nuff said.

Agreed. 'Nuff said

Earthninja
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2015

@Rowan1980 said:
    Anything with peanut butter and chocolate.

You sure know what to say!!!!! :)

@DhammaDragon .....I had to look up panna cotta.....never heard of it.....Fancy Schmancy!!!! It looks delicious and rich......I'll have to find an Italian spot around here and try some.....I'll report back on my findings... ;) ....

Rowan1980
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    Coincidentally, my wife and I were having lunch at a local diner that's well-known for its desserts when I initially posted. I got a chocolate cupcake with PB frosting, chocolate syrup, and crushed peanuts to go for dessert. :smiley:

Helloooooooo, sugar rush!
    silverVastmind

@federica said:Nope. Want the recipe...? ;)

Well...not if it's as complicated as the pickles one! :p

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Quite partial to the New York style cheesecake they sell at the Coop on the corner of my street.

@Vastmind said:
    DhammaDragon .....I had to look up panna cotta.....never heard of it.....Fancy Schmancy!!!! It looks delicious and rich......I'll have to find an Italian spot around here and try some.....I'll report back on my findings... ;) ....

Apparently it's very easy to make, @Vastmind, but since I'm not the best of cooks, I prefer to buy it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/vanillapannacotta_87907

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/panna-cotta/

edited January 2015

@silver said:
    Well...not if it's as complicated as the pickles one! :p

>

It's easy-peasy lemon-squeezy!!

For the benefit of everyone who might like to give this a go:

8oz caster sugar
    3oz self-raising flour
    4oz dessicated coconut
    2tsp vanilla essence
    1/2 tsp salt
    sprinkle of cinnamon powder
    4oz butter, softened, diced
    4 eggs
    16 fl.oz milk.

pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees c, gas mark 4.

put all the dry ingredients into a bowl.
    Add the diced butter and work it in until you get a breadcrumb consistency.

(I use one of these boys, it really works well. It's called a pastry blender, and I recommend it....

mix the eggs with the milk, and pour into the dry-ingredients mix.

blend well with a whisk, and pour the whole lot into well-greased 2-pint pyrex casserole dish.
    it will be a lot more fluid than you'd expect, but this is perfectly ok....

place in the oven for an hour, or until the top has risen and browned.

All the ingredients will have separated, to form a coconut sponge-cake top, with a firm custard underneath.

serve with pouring cream.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Cold Stone icecream in a waffle cone drenched in macadamia nuts and caramel.

Vastmindlobster
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

One my fave Nepalese esteries has a dessert that's bannanas, yogurt and cinnamon. Can't get enough.

lobster
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Yup, after that kind of dessert it's time to turn off the lights and put your 'self' to bed.

Fortunately, Cold Stone does not have a parlor anywhere nearby, except at the Mall, which I do not go to on principle :D

• My new year resolution to eat more fruit is going well

I take refuge in the Buddha Dessert.
    I take refuge in the Dharma Pudding.
    I take refuge in the Sangha Dessert Trolley.

New Mantra: YUM YUM YUM YAB YUM

Rowan1980EarthninjaVanilli
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

If it's chocolate -- real chocolate -- it's NIRVANA!

lobster
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

I love all indian sweets and mango pudding is my favorite.

@genkaku said:
    If it's chocolate -- real chocolate -- it's NIRVANA!

The only sweet I eat every day is three squares of 74% cacao chocolate.
    You can never go back to the pansy Milka stuff after that.

Chaz
  • ^^^ dessert restraint is possible? How? Too delicious.

silver

I remember that picture of Homer! It would have been a good one for me to post in the lunch room at work (before I retired), as they were always having birthday celebrations, and cake every time you turned around. They often would get a large vanilla cake with thick fluffy white frosting and giant strawberries halved. sigh!

• Faux Key Lime Pie. Easy to make and most folks think I spend a lot of time in the kitchen to make. You will need a pre-made graham cracker pie crust. One regular size tub of Cool Whip, one can of sweetened condensed milk and one small can of frozen limeade.

Mix the Cool Whip, condensed milk and limeade until smooth/creamy. Pour into the pie crust. Place it in the freezer until you or your guests want some. Recipe from a 1930's cookbook created by some very churchy Southern Baptist women.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

You know that at this time of year people are trying to recover from the holidays, right? This is just evil ;)

Peanut butter pie. Handsdown. We only make it a few times a year because each slice is like 600 calories. Peanut butter, cream cheese, cool whip and a little sugar whipped up and put in a graham cracker pie crust. Top the mixture with a jar of warmed up hot fudge. Let it set in the fridge. Top that with cool whip and drizzle melted peanut butter and fudge on top. To die for. It has replaced birthday cake in our house.

I love a good cheesecake, too but more on the cheesy side than anything else. Regular cheesecake with berry topping.

Otherwise, I'm really not a big dessert person, which is funny because I have a huge sweet tooth.

Vastmindsilver

@grackle said:
    Faux Key Lime Pie. Easy to make and most folks think I spend a lot of time in the kitchen to make. You will need a pre-made graham cracker pie crust. One regular size tub of Cool Whip, one can of sweetened condensed milk and one small can of frozen limeade.

Mix the Cool Whip, condensed milk and limeade until smooth/creamy. Pour into the pie crust. Place it in the freezer until you or your guests want some. Recipe from a 1930's cookbook created by some very churchy Southern Baptist women.

You bet! When frozen limeade is out of the budget (or the cupboards)...hahaha...use a package of kool-aid! At any respectable Southern gathering there will be kool-aid pie, banana pudding, and peach cobbler. :D

• Finest quality ice cream - mint chocolate chip or strawberry with real strawberry pieces :) mmm! Or creamy honeycomb cheesecake :)! Or the humble kid's Birthday cake :D with cream, jam and thick icing :)!

Chocolate covered pretzels.....Yuuuuuummmmm!!!! Sweet AND salty....

• Banana Chocolate Cheesecake

• Vanilla ice cream with spanish peanuts (a little salty) and hershey chocolate syrup a smidgeon. Used to be that I liked Breyers vanilla which had little specks of vanilla bean ground up in the ice-cream but now I guess they are cutting costs and do not have that. Hershey isn't great chocolate, but it is attached to me via memories.

So the above ^^^ I am attached to but the best dessert minus nostalgia is tiramisu with with an espresso.

I used to be addicted to Cheetos - the soft, puffy ones, and I had to pretty much go cold turkey. Every time I'd see them on display at the end of the aisle in a grocery store, I wasn't able to pass them up. I know how bad they are for you because of the sodium alone. I've been Cheetos-free for at least a year now.

I used to consider them a type of 'dessert'.

• I don't eat sweets or desert anymore, I used to have a sweet tooth about 7 years ago and got plenty of cavities. Since I have stopped eating chocolate and stuff like that I have never needed to go to the dentist once, only recently because I have broken a few teeth.

But to answer your question, it is super unhealthy but I think they taste so good, deep fried battered mars bars

Ugh!! I'll take your word for it, but honestly - ? That looks like something the dog brought up.....!

• @federica said:
    Ugh!! I'll take your word for it, but honestly - ? That looks like something the dog brought up.....!

It doesn't look good, it is death in bat form but it taste amazing. I wonder if anybody else has had one here? At Lunch time in school we often would walk to the fish and chip shop with mars bars and pay them to fry the bars for us. Good times.