Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who fancies a celebration?

SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joySouth Coast, UK Veteran

Celebrate who you are

Today, celebrate who you are. Yes, you have much in common with other people. But you're also uniquely you.

Grab a piece of paper and something to write with. Now write down:

1. A lesson that you have learned in life.
  2. A talent that you have, no matter how quirky.
  3. Your favorite meal.
  4. The name of a friend who respects and likes you for who you are.
  5. An activity that you enjoy.

Now, pick up the phone and call your friend. Invite him or her to a celebration with you. Do the activity that you enjoy – go for a walk, go to a ballgame, sit at home and watch videos, whatever you like to do. Then prepare your favorite meal or go to a restaurant and have them prepare it. Show your friend your talent – remember this person likes and respects you for who you are. So if you can balance e a ping pong ball on the tip of your nose, go ahead and do that. Show him or her how good you are. Talk to your friend about the lessons you have learned, and invite him or her to share a lesson learned from you.

Instead of fussing and worrying about how different you are, be grateful that you're unique.

Celebrate being you.

__You are reading from the book:

More Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie

More Language of Letting Go © 2000 by Melody Beattie. All rights reserved. Printed in the United States of America. No portion of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without the permission of Hazelden.__

Oops - thanks Hazelden! ;)

JeffreyzombiegirlBuddhadragonmmoVastmind

Comments

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I feel pretty indebted to Melody Beattie for one of her other books that really helped me. <3
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Why?
    Is nobody else celebrating yet?
    Few of us showing up to the party?

I had no idea who Melody Beattie is, @SarahT, so I did some googling.
    I almost wept reading her story, especially about her son's tragic death.

SarahT
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran
    1. I have learnt that I am not superwoman.
    2. I can touch my nose with my tongue.
    3. Steak and chips
    4. Ferroccio
    5. Sitting up late discussing the world, the universe and everything - preferably by an open fire

Not good at phone calls these days but have a note in my mind to return Ferroccio's calls and set up a dinner date!

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    1. That you never stop learning.
    2. People tell me I'm very persuasive.
    3. Sushi.
    4. Fortunately I have so many it would be unfair to mention only one.
    5. Watching series with my husband in the evening after putting our son to bed.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    1. That it's not always so. Even though I really want it to be....

2. I can do this!!*

3. Definitely Japanese. Anything.

4. Sascha. Or Julie.

5. Knitting.

I can't really do any of the above with either friend, unfortunately. Both live too far away to contact and see.... (One way down south, in the UK, and the other even more way down south in Australia.... :( )

(* Rotate your right foot clockwise. Draw a six in the air, with your right hand.
    The foot will automatically reverse direction and rotate anti-clockwise.
    You can do the same exercise with left foot/hand.
    )

1. If you are insecure think about how you can treat others kindly rather than if you are 'loveable' (or adequate or whatever). In other words focus on doing rather than on if you ARE something.

2. Pop my thumbs out of joint so my hand looks like a claw

3. Homemade spaghetti with Italian sausage and generous amounts of freshly grated parmesan cheese. (and many others)

4. My girlfriend who will remain unnamed.

5. Eating good food.

1. Trust your gut.
    2. I can easily spot a lie, written or verbal.
    3. Pretty much anything my wife makes!
    4. Brian
    5. Motocross racing / riding.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2015
    1. Planning the potluck at work is not worth the headache
    2. I have a talent for stationery....and gift giving.
    3. Crabs
    4. Calandra and Lavetta
    5. Swimming
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    1. Never trust your gut.
    2. I can write with both hands.
    3. Steak and scallops
    4. My fiancee.
    5. Computer gaming. Unfortunately, that's one activity my fiancee does not enjoy.