Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rugby players are real men....

Those American footballers are a bunch of wimps with all their sissy protective gear and helmets, not like rugby players who are real men and sometimes have beards.

Discuss.

ToshVictorious

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

... and don't forget the missing teeth!

nakazcid
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Discuss what?

You have defined the difference...

Girls in the UK (and Europe) play rugby too unlike in 'American sissy corrupted rugby' where the girls wave pom poms from the sidelines and struggle to grow beards.

Sorry! ...\lol/..

DairyLamaVictorious
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

@genkaku said:
    ... and don't forget the missing teeth!

Wait, I didn't realize we were talking about hockey.

• :po:)

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Trying to insert your head into the bottom of your team mate does not make you a real man!
    lobsterDairyLamaToshSarahT

Testosterone!

As much as @federica is against castration of animals, perhaps we should consider castrating ice hockey players and other extremists eh? Especially the ones with religious affiliations...

No comment on which religious affiliations, just those religions that exercise totalitarian authoritarian regimes and marginalise women and people not of the belief system - perhaps the intelligentsia or artensia will develop a virus that selectively destroys such people. 'Those people are Idiots' - as my 12 year old son calls them; but as I explained idiots with guns deserve a type of respect if the gun is being poked in your face...

I now have copyright on the idea, but should it become a reality - 'anataman shudders'

• lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

How to leap from Rugby players, to castration to lumberjacks in a few and amazingly small steps... And I berate myself for taking threads O/T!

Who stated that the difference between football and Rugby is that football is a game played by gentlemen for the benefit of thugs and Rugby is a game played by thugs for the benefit of gentlemen...?

Bunks
  • Once you realize sport is socially acceptable pseudo warfare, it becomes more acceptable compared to the alternative . . .

There are of course sports that are less testosterone dependent such as extreme ironing . . .
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_ironing

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2015

Football players have football intelligence. They (get ready for a sweeping generalization!) might not be able to do much on a math or blue book exam but the strategy and technique of football is quite extensive. Before a game they prepare for the opposing team by watching perhaps hours of film footage of the other team.

No Comment m'lud, as an avid rugby enfusiast, I'm gilty, but please dont 'ang me for it...

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    Football players have football intelligence.

Is "football intelligence" what they get from banging their heads too often? ;)

SarahTJeongjwa

@federica said:
    How to leap from Rugby players, to castration to lumberjacks in a few and amazingly small steps...

I was quite impressed - thread association game!

@lobster said:
    Once you realize sport is socially acceptable pseudo warfare, it becomes more acceptable compared to the alternative . . .

Yes, it's a way for men to have a good punch up without actually killing each other. Jolly civilised idea, and of course sport was a British invention! It was originally introduced in the colonies so British gentlemen could show their superiority over the natives.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

This is a thread to discuss the macho masculine superiority of Rugby players...(Are we talking Union or League...?)

Be aware too much diversion from the topic should strictly speaking provoke the start of a new thread. Ok? ;)

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited January 2015

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xKIZm9D_UK4

What can I say?
    Rugby players are the model of man I prefer <3
    My opinion would be hormonally-biased.
    This is probably my favourite clip ever...

@Jeffrey said:
    Football players have football intelligence. They (get ready for a sweeping generalization!) might not be able to do much on a math or blue book exam but the strategy and technique of football is quite extensive. Before a game they prepare for the opposing team by watching perhaps hours of film footage of the other team.

>

It depends which league they're from. Premier League yes, I'd agree many hours are sent constantly studying tactics, positioning, techniques, ball-possession time, passing, goal opportunities...

If however you're in the Sussex-and-Weald Sunday Father's League, I think an awful lot of 'propping-up-the-bar' is involved...

@Jeffrey said:
    Football players have football intelligence.

Don't care for football players, but when it comes to watching a rugby match, I mean, who cares what these men have in their heads?
    I just love to watch them! <3<3<3

@federica said:

(Are we talking Union or League...?)

I don't know the difference really. I just know they are real men who don't mind a few bruises and are happy to get their knees dirty. ;)

When I was at college I went to a couple of rugby club drinking sessions, and they were very serious about their beer drinking. Speed drinking was a favourite game, drinking a pint in 3 seconds was only mediocre though.
    More evidence that they are real men of course. ;)

Oooh, yeah. I hear downing a pint in under 3 is a pre-requisite for some clubs.

• ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    I don't know the difference really.

Look in the mirror, if you are wearing a police uniform or a top hat then you should be watching Rugby Union. If you are wearing a flat cap, have a whippet or a leek handy then you should be watching League.

federicaDairyLama

@Bunks said:
    Trying to insert your head into the bottom of your team mate does not make you a real man!

Isn't that called 'a try'...?

DairyLamaSarahT
    No. I believe it's a scrum @federica!

Rhymes with Bum.
    Yeah, seems legit.

anataman

Everyone knows that when you are playing lock the best way to encourage the props to exert some real pressure is to surreptitiously insert a thumb...

I used to play second row but I never tried that one!

Probably why Veterinary Medicine students make a good second row, they are not so squeamish.

Yeah, but I think testing a cow for pregnancy is not a good starting point.....you really don't want to do that to a fellow player... :D

@federica said:
    Oooh, yeah. I hear downing a pint in under 3 is a pre-requisite for some clubs.

I think I got down to a respectable 2.5 seconds. We also did the yard of ale, which definitely separates the men from the boys.... ;)

I've downed a yard of ale.... I can't remember the time, but everyone in the pub applauded.... and even the Landlord admitted he couldn't do that....

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

At the risk of suffering a goodness scrum, I will say that rugby always impressed me as an indicator or practice of keeping your kool when faced with a painful attack.

There was a time, long ago, when I would attend rugby matches every Saturday in Boston. I didn't understand the scoring or tactics or anything else ... I just loved watching. The local team seemed to be a pick-up bunch of ex-pats who smiled and laughed and threw themselves into their chosen activity. They came to the field in battered T-shirts and shorts constructed out of cast-off jeans or chinos. There wasn't a single game in which someone didn't come off the field bloodied... and laughing.

In one particular game, the local boys took on a college team which erupted onto the field in perfected team garb ... all neat and clean and collegiate... bright-eyed and American bushy-tailed. Inside of 20 minutes, it was apparent the collegians were going to get clocked, not so much because their play was inferior, which it was, but more because they lost their focus and tempers. They had come to play a game whereas the home team had come to PLAY.

I'm not saying that everyone ought to go out for some kick-the-shit-out-of-you exercise, but the training of seeing pain as pain and suffering as an add-on is a skill anyone might want to hone.

OK, I've donned my Kevlar ... fire at will. :)

Sit down dammit, I can't see... I'm tryinna watch the game, dude!!

Good points though.
    'Rugby' and 'elegant' are total oxymorons....

:D

• Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited January 2015

I have played both, and the type of athlete desired for each sport really does not compare.

Rugby has more of a flow to the game, and does not have the full speed, head on collisions experienced in American Football, so the same protective gear is not warranted... really has nothing to do with the toughness of the individual athlete.

The conditioning required is also much different... You need to have your wind endurance up in Rugby because the only real break you get is at half-time. I've seen football players come out to try their hand at a Rugby practice, and they just can't hang.

Strong legs are required for Rugby scrum pushing, and short people can have the advantage by having the lower center of gravity for pushing their opponents up, thus decreasing their opponents pushing ability. Strength and push ability are more important than speed, whereas American Football is more about quick on the line, and fast in the routes, with tall players often having an advantage.

Rugby players would generally do poor in American Football, and Vise Versa

And the Ruby parties really are a competition in their own right... you can lose a Rugby match, but gain respect by throwing the best party... I've never heard of American Football teams joining each other after a match for some beer, friendship and goofing off.

JeffreySarahT

@ZenBadger said:
    Everyone knows that when you are playing lock the best way to encourage the props to exert some real pressure is to surreptitiously insert a thumb...

Affectionately known as the "Hopoate" in Australia but only to be practiced on the opposition........

Extract below from the John Hopoate wiki page

_During a 2001 clash with the Cowboys, Hopoate, in an attempt to unsettle several of his opponents, inserted his finger in three players' anuses, the first occurring during the seventh minute of play. At the conclusion of the match the matter was immediately referred to the rugby league judiciary where a case was put forward from both sides on 28 March.

Hopoate claimed in front of the panel of judges that he was simply attempting to give all three players "a wedgie" with his fingers, denying he had done anything wrong and that he was "a great believer in what happens on the field should stay there".

The three victims in the case, Cowboys players Glenn Morrison, Peter Jones and Paul Bowman all disagreed with the reasoning put forward by Hopoate and his team. Jones stated, "It wasn't a wedgie. That's when your pants are pulled up your arse. I think I know the difference between a wedgie and someone sticking their finger up my bum", while Bowman stated that he was "disgusted" and "couldn't believe it."

Hopoate subsequently was charged with unlawful sexual connection in relation to the incident._

JeffreyTelly03
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

@federica said:
    Who stated that the difference between football and Rugby is that football is a game played by gentlemen for the benefit of thugs and Rugby is a game played by thugs for the benefit of gentlemen...?

Not the quote I know! I've always heard (and understood - makes sense to me) that rugby is a game for thugs played by gentlemen and football a game for gentlemen played by thugs. Am speaking of English football here, not American. Having played rugby once against a 5th XV (once was enough - PLEASE don't let that ball come near me! Even though they had one arm tied behind their backs, tackles were not my scene ...) and football at uni, that reflects my experience.

Did find:

“Rugby is a beastly game played by gentlemen; soccer is a gentleman’s game played by beasts; football is a beastly game played by beasts.” - Henry Blaha

and

DairyLamafederica
  • I'm so confused :s . What's being compared, Football (UK), Football (USA), or Rugby?

Rugby v. American football.

UK footballers are just a bunch of sissy drama queens. ;)

federicaSarahTJeongjwa
    edited January 2015

@SarahT said: rugby is a game for thugs played by gentlemen and football a game for gentlemen played by thugs.

I think that is indeed the quotation I was thinking of... But I love your others, too!
    I just told my H. the one in your attached photo, and he grinned. being an avid rugby fan and ex-player himself, he can equate! So annoying that we can't 'LOL' AND 'awesome' posts!!

• I've played Football two years in the trenches and it can get pretty rough, but I've always respected Rugby. That said, I doubt they hit as crazy and as much recklessness as the full padded crazy head on collisions we see in 'Murica-ball. Anyone have a highlight to prove otherwise... ;)

edited January 2015

I follow Australian Rules football predominantly (a colonial game invented by European settlers to keep cricketers fit during the winter break).

While there are not as many hits as in rugby or gridiron, occasionally somebody gets smashed! (see clip below).

At least in rugby you know you're going to get hit from the front. In Aussie Rules and Gridiron you can get hit from any angle.

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

I hope the Pats win the superbowl, they are my team. :D

edited January 2015

@DhammaDragon said:
    Don't care for football players, but when it comes to watching a rugby match, I mean, who cares what these men have in their heads?
    I just love to watch them! <3<3<3

We poor men are sick of being seen as sex objects @DhammaDragon‌ !

:wink:

DairyLamaBuddhadragonSarahTsilver

Aw, get over it toots!

edited January 2015

@Bunks said:
    We poor men are sick of being seen as sex objects @DhammaDragon‌ !

Just shut up and do that Maori haka! :)

Most men don't mind being thought of as sex objects and probably wish it happened more often... ;)

SarahT

@SpinyNorman said:
    Most men don't mind being thought of as sex objects and probably wish it happened more often... ;)

This might spark a reversal sexist thread and I could not stand having you big boys pining and whining over your lot in life... :p

@SpinyNorman said:

>

If only.....

You go, gurl!!