Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Would you let the Buddha marry your daughter?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited January 2015 in Buddhism Today
  • no source of income
  • panhandler
  • no transport
  • bad wardrobe and fashion sense
  • former playboy
  • daddy's boy
  • aristocrat
  • misogynist
  • military family
  • one failed marriage
  • celibate
  • does not cook
  • cult leader

Gosh . . . what am I missing here? :p

vinlynHamsakaCinorjeranatamanVastmindnakazcidBuddhadragonShoshin

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited January 2015

Will it be an Hindu wedding ? :D

lobsterSarahTrohit
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2015

@Shoshin said:
    Will it be a Hindu wedding ? :D

Good question . . . and his daddy would foot the wedding bill . . . m m m . . . time to reconsider . . .

Shoshin
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

whot 'ave yew been sniffin' or drinkin' ... lobby?

lobsterToshrohitBuddhadragon
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@lobster said:

A clue.

Bunks
  • Would the Buddha want to marry my daughter (if I had one)? Would he want to marry at all? The question would never arise.

silverlobsterrohit
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Before or after he was actually Buddha? I don't have any daughters, but despite the downfalls it would be nice to know one of my kids would be spiritually looked after. Sometimes I am pretty convinced that is more important than the decent house, the income, and so on. I'd rather a child marry the Buddha than the spoiled, rich, helicopter-parented prince that he was before.

silverrohit
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I would if I had one. For starters, he was a brainiac (even if he may have lost a marble or two on the way to enlightenment).

rohit
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

He would probably end up on the Jeremy Kyle show....

SarahTanatamanlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I further question the inclusion of 'Misogynist'..... Or maybe you did that to flag my attention....

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2015

@silver said:
    whot 'ave yew been sniffin' or drinkin' ... lobby?

=) Nothing =) Heresy is one of my Dharma services for the clinically Boddhisattvad . . . ;)

I think a solution might be to allow the marriage once a daughter is of suitable age for Yab-yum - say about eighty. B)

Another possibility is to be less assuming. The question in a modern context might be, 'would you allow your son or daughter to marry the Buddha?' My apologies for any offence to our esteemed eligible gay and lesbian Buddha devotees o:)

Also @robot makes a good point below . . .

• Let my daughter marry someone? Around here women marry who they want.
    My control over who she marries ended when she reached the legal age of 19. Before that I wouldn't have let her marry anyone, Buddha or not.

Since then it came down to whether she chooses to marry a man with qualities that I demonstrated or to not marry a man with failings that I demonstrated. Tough call for her.

She picked a good one. He's no Buddha but he's pretty solid.

SarahTkarastiBunkslobster
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Would you let the Buddha marry your daughter?

I'm one of those literalist nerds and found myself in a pickle when asked this question. First of all, my daughter is already married and having one husband seems to suit her needs. Second, the notion that I could 'allow' her anything pertaining to her own life is tenuous at best: She's her own woman and that's why I love her. And last, before I could know if I would allow the Buddha to marry my daughter, I would have to be convinced that I (or the person asking the question) could/did actually know who, precisely, "the Buddha" was ... and, of course, anyone claiming that knowledge would be suffering from a very serious delusion....

I've got enough delusions already.

lobster
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

@lobster said:

• no source of income
    • panhandler
    • no transport
    • former playboy
    • daddy's boy
    • aristocrat
    • misogynist
    • military family
    • one failed marriage
    • celibate
    • does not cook
    • cult leader

I am surprised that you don't know meaning of 'Buddha'. Buddha isn't the name of person but the person who has no desires mainly marriage.

silver
  • Heh. Reminds me of something my late wife once told me. Said she was buying a little Buddha figure from a thrift store and the cashier said she normally threw those idols away (it was a Christian charity store, they had the right) and would have to instruct the new employee. My wife told them she was a Christian herself but married to a Buddhist and I had asked her to rescue any statues she saw in those places for my "second life" shelf. The woman actually told my wife she was sorry for her, being married to an Idol worshipper! The woman said she told her own children she'd never speak to them again if they married someone from another religion.

Well, my wife launched into a litany of the great things about being married to a Buddhist, ending with telling the woman I would have just thanked her for her concern and meant it. She said the woman did apologize, but I doubt it changed anyone's mind or policy about Buddha statues at the store.

BuddhadragonRowan1980HamsakaBunks

@rohit said:
    I am surprised that you don't know meaning of 'Buddha'. Buddha isn't the name of person but the person who has no desires mainly marriage.

Zackly why I thought it such a bizarre notion. O.o

rohit
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Our local sangha group leader is Buddhist married to a very liberal Christian who participates in our group. She often gets similar reactions from her Christian "friends" about how dare she marry a Buddhist and how can she think she won't go to hell over it. People be crazy.

I am sure most people agree, parents don't "allow" their adult kids to marry. But it is nice to have the blessing, so perhaps consider it a "would you give Buddha a blessing to marry your daughter." And yes, obviously we know Buddha wouldn't actually get married, lol. Sometimes it's fun just to ponder the odd question.

CinorjerRowan1980
  • I am surprised that you don't know meaning of 'Buddha'.

I am not surprised you do know what the Buddha means to you . . . <3

@genkaku said:
    I've got enough delusions already.

Indeed. Who hasn't.

and now back to the wedding preparations . . .

personCinorjerRowan1980Vastmind
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Tosh said:
    I pity the poor soul who would marry my daughter. Even the Buddha himself would be annoyed and tormented by her.

My parents thought the same about me, but incredibly enough I found several non-Buddhas who would have gladly gone through the annoyance and the torment, and one that still survives after almost sixteen years >:)

When Jack Kornfield gave up his monk vows and went back to the dating scene, he said he made a terribly boring date, because due to his monastic education he had no likes and dislikes, no political preferences, no definite opinion on almost anything, no particular ambition or goal to do anything in life...
    That would send the woman he dated at the moment ballistics!

Rowan1980CinorjerTosh
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited February 2015

@Tosh said:
    I pity the poor soul who would marry my daughter. Even the Buddha himself would be annoyed and tormented by her.

My late wife annoyed and tormented me for over 20 years, and I still miss that. I especially remember fondly the times she'd sit and stare at me in silence for hours until I broke down and said, "What? What's the matter?", knowing the answer will be, "If you don't know, I'm not going to tell you!"

And the toilet seat war. Dear God, the toilet seat war. Even now when I'm the only one here, I put the seat down to honor her strange inability to check the toilet seat position before sitting down.

Yep, Buddha missed out on a wonderful part of life, not having a wife.

ToshlobsterkarastiBuddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I daresay if he had a porcelain lavatory as we all have, he'd miss it as much as any bloke....

CinorjerlobsterBunks
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

The Buddha's family was quite wealthy so he might have been a good catch from that point of view!

lobster

@SpinyNorman said:
    The Buddha's family was quite wealthy so he might have been a good catch from that point of view!

Yeah... don't forget pre-nups.....

• Pre-nups . . . m m m . . . May have plan . . .

@lobster said:

• no source of income

All sources of incoming thoughts, monies, saris/robes, food will be shared unequally. Daughters and children first.

• panhandler

All begging is to be ritualistic and supported by law, social convention and wealthy donors.

• no transport

Wives, children and all belongings are to be carried by Goatama (hereafter referred to as 'The Buddha') unless public transport is provided by donors

Robes and hygiene are to meet basic agreed standards

• former playboy

All former consorts, concubines and wives are to be catered for in separate agreements

• daddy's boy

Access to and custody of property to be catered for in separate agreements

• aristocrat

No curtsying to The Buddha shall be required

• misogynist

Any attempts to exclude on the basis of birth, gender or social standing will be reported to the authorities and may result in prosecution or persecution

• military family

No military action to be engaged in

• one failed marriage

The Buddha will support his obligations

• celibate

Really?

• does not cook

Will learn!

• cult leader

No brainwashing or cult activities without consultation

m m m . . . progress

SarahT
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Does he have health insurance?

lobster
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

My daughter is already married too, but I have no doubt she'd have had him from the moment he told her he was born from his own mother's left flank, and hunted him down and strangled him if he left her to raise their son alone. Good thing for all of us she wasn't born until 1983.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

But the 'point' (I think :) ) you make @Lobster is a delightful one :chuffed:

Unfortunately, I married a guy like this. Yes, I did, my second and probably last husband. I could tick off almost all of those boxes. He was a charismatic Christian when I met him, with a rebelliously spiritual streak, and now he's grooming the Lakota Sioux friends he's impressed/manipulated in his home town with his oh-so-spiritual insights.

In my experience, which is just mine, 'radicals' like the Buddha, that stereotype if you will, is usually bad news for relationships. If you know what I mean. I consider myself a bit of 'bad news' in the same way.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@vinlyn said:
    Does he have health insurance?

Covered by Medicare in Australia and NHS in the UK ;)

• Thanks guys,

I have decided to marry the Buddha myself . . .

In the Tibetan Tantric tradition it is not uncommon to hear how we have had countless lives, usually involving the same people. Sometimes we marry them, father or daughter them, mother or son them . . . sometimes we are siblings. Yeah pretty weird . . .

Now according to tradition, Shakyamuni has gone on to Paranirvana, no catching that bad boy. So on to my best bet, the Maitreya (future Buddha).
    http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/maitreya2.htm

Still working on the details . . . :mrgreen:

Thanks for your advisement.

CinorjerSarahT