Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What makes you cry?

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
edited February 2015 in General Banter
I was never a crier (or is it cryer?) until I had kids.

I cried when my daughter was born and have quite a few times since (five years ago).

Whenever I see anything about kids suffering or dying it sets me off.

What makes you cry?

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2015

Only my eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body & mind but
    only when my British stiff upper lip is snoozing.

BunksRowan1980dantepw
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"Riverdance" makes me cry, and dammit, I can't put my finger on why....the whole thing is stunning...
    This is the first time this dance was ever screened to a massive audience on TV, and it's no exaggeration to say it caused more of a furore and stir than the actual Eurovision Song Contest itself.

I remember actually waching this as it was televised, with my eldest daughter. By the time it had finished, both she and I had streaming faces, tears of amazement and joy coursing down our cheeks.

And I have no real idea why....

"Spontaneous" acts of wonderful kindness.... I only just now finished watching a video of a situation where some guy hired basically the entire population of Las Vegas to propose to his GF and then married her immediately afterwards
    It was amazing.
    Rehearsed (it must literally have taken months to organise) and a planning nightmare, nevertheless, it all went amazingly and she was absolutely floored.

That was just great.
    Schmaltzy, over-done, typically 'American' in its "bigness", but wonderful.

Bunks
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Anything makes me cry.
    Literally every mushy film, song and book on earth, love story, emotional scene, you name it =)

yagr
  • onions o:)

Rowan1980yagrEarthninja
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    Anything makes me cry.
    Literally every mushy film, song and book on earth, love story, emotional scene, you name it =)

You're such a girl! :p

BuddhadragonKundoyagr
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Bunks said:
    You're such a girl!

Hey, boys don't cry! Haven't you heard? =)

Bunksyagrdantepw
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

On a more serious note, certain aspects of Dukkha can bring a tear to the eye....

• Stories of abused and abandoned dogs. I have a soft spot in my heart for dogs and the internet keeps throwing these stories and pictures up illustrating the casual suffering we inflict on a creature we molded to be our companions.

Kundommodantepw
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I hear you.... That just makes me seethe, @Cinorjer, I get so angry, but really angry, it makes me fume...

KundoCinorjer
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Beethoven's 9th Symphony can do it as can plausible happy endings. Less often, extreme cruelty.

Cinorjer
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    edited February 2015
    When it comes to videos of animals being rescued, I'm as weak as a baby's bladder, and it's only become more pronounced since I've hit my 30s. Also, when pets are reunited with their owners. Happy tears!

Mind you, despite having a long and colorful history with depression, it's very much under control. So I'm not a cryer these days otherwise. At the end of the "Puppy Bowl" when folks go pick up their puppy? I'm a mess every time! :cry:
    KundoCinorjerdantepw
  • Most things ....my childrens nativity plays especially ...my mum has terminal cancer that starts me off if I emagine life without her ...x

Cinorjer
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited February 2015

I cry a lot. I cried 2 days after a tv showed I loved ended, lol. (Parenthood, for those who happened to see it). I cry when my kids meet their own goals. I cry when they get recognized for who they are. I cry seeing pictures of my friend's new daughter. I cry reading posts on the internet, and watching all the "restore my faith in humanity" types of videos. I cry when certain music comes on, including the end of the "Star Spangled Banner"(the US national anthem) and I'm hardly a raging patriot type. I can't wait until my son graduates in May. I cry just thinking about it, no doubt I'll embarrass him ;) but considering it wasn't long ago we weren't sure he'd even make it in public school, I think I'm justified in a few tears of pride, lol. Sometimes I randomly cry during yoga. I cry when I see beautiful things. I cry when I get really frustrated. I cry when I am sad that my kids' dad isn't here to see them grow up. Then I cry because I'm angry that he isn't here because of his own choices. I seriously cry a lot. But it's usually short lived, I'm not a sobber or wailer. My biggest trigger is actually joy. Seeing someone meet a goal, cross a finish line, seeing a great achievement of any sort, seeing the little bird beat out the bigger bird for the bread crust, seeing kids helping each other on the play ground, anything like that.

Rowan1980Cinorjeryagr
    @karasti -I now understand what my coworker meant when she said that she was going to cry and catch up on "Parenthood." I was quite confused when she said that.
    Cinorjer

I feel like I know you a little better now.........blessings to you all <3<3<3

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    I feel like I know you a little better now.........blessings to you all <3<3<3

Oh and I cried when the Swans smashed Collingwood - but they were tears of joy so I don't know if they count :p

Bunks
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    Animals being rescued makes me watery. Also random acts of kindness by humans.
    I watched a show that has an actor pretending to be a homeless person or a mother with no money.
    They then film people helping or standing up for the actors.
    I watched a boy freezing at a bus stop. This guy gave the kid his jacket, gloves and beanie. I was a wreck.

Humans have so much potential for pure compassion.

I got a little misty when my wife walked down the aisle. But I also choked on a fly moments before. I was in a garden ;)
    Kundo
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

More than anything else, old movies.

In "real life" I rarely cry. Go figure.

EarthninjaRowan1980
  • I only cry when people die or a have a lot of voices (not in 1.5 years)

Rowan1980David

What makes you cry?

BunksEarthninja
  • @yagr said:
    I'm with DhammaDragon.... everything.

Ah real men! <3

Certainly more real than me and @Shoshin giving the usual trite answer of 'onions' within minutes . . .

In Sufism there is stage of weeping all night, usually in secret and a special way. It is not about sentimentality but heart recognition. It may sound strange to Buddhist ears as it seems like Dukkha.

Think of it in terms of compassion and the tears of Avalokiteśvara giving rise to Tara . . .

Many think women are more in touch with their feelings, perhaps that is a social construct about acceptable revelation . . . changing . . .

At the moment it is usually accounts of saints from other traditions displaying extraordinary Grace/virtue that sets me off. In that sense it is a sense of shamed comparison.

We gals know crying is a way of clearing Dukkha not a suppression of stoic english manliness that @how mentions. =)

. . . and know back to the wailing wall . . .

Bunksyagr

@Shoshin, lol, we have winter for 6-7 months a year so I can relate! We just bought heating fuel right after Christmas, and now need it again. Come on, spring!

Shoshin

@karasti said:
    Shoshin, lol, we have winter for 6-7 months a year so I can relate! We just bought heating fuel right after Christmas, and now need it again. Come on, spring!

It makes me cold just thinking about it... :D

Bunkskarasti

@karasti said:
    Shoshin, lol, we have winter for 6-7 months a year so I can relate! We just bought heating fuel right after Christmas, and now need it again. Come on, spring!

That's hard to fathom! It's 95F here right now and I'm about to go home and jump in the pool. 97F tomorrow so back in the pool again no doubt......

ShoshinKundolobster

We very rarely get above 90F here in the height of summer. On Monday morning, it was -29F. This morning, it was about -17F, and that was an improvement. During the day today, the sun came out, and it was "no hat, no mittens" weather at +20F, lol. It'll be late May before the ground is thawed enough to plant anything. And for perspective, this winter is milder, with far less snow than average. I probably handle -30F far better than I'd handle +95F, to be honest. At night, I can plug in my electric blanket or put on thicker pajamas. When it's summer, you can only take off so much, lol. though, on the plus side, our electric bill is averaged out over a year, so we don't have huge spikes in the coldest Dec-Feb months. It's the same year round based on the previous years average. It varies from $120/month in the mild months to $300/month in the colder winter months, so it's nice to average it out.

But winter days when I have to get up in the dark to see if cars will start, or walk kids to the bus stop when it's -30F or worse, yeah, I cry. Then my eyelids and nostrils freeze together. :lol:

Bunks
    edited February 2015

I spent a year in Denver and I remember one night it was -8F.......that was absolutely freezing for me. My eyes (the only exposed body part) hurt when I went out!

I have been in +116F here before and you just don't want to be outside. You need to be in either water or in front of an air conditioner.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    I spent a year in Denver and I remember one night it was -8F.......that was absolutely freezing for me. My eyes (the only exposed body part) hurt when I went out!

I spent a Xmas in Minnesota when I was 14 - F**K ME it was cold!!!!!!!

I have been in +116F here before and you just don't want to be outside. You need to be in either water or in front of an air conditioner.

Try fire season in Canberra O.o But you guys have been copping it this summer down there. We're about to average 33-34C every day next week - that's 93F-95F for you non metric folk :p

_ /\ _

Bunks
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@Bunks said:
    That's hard to fathom! It's 95F here right now and I'm about to go home and jump in the pool. 97F tomorrow so back in the pool again no doubt......

I have some long term internet friends in Australia and I loved sending them snow pictures this time of year when I lived in the mountains in Idaho :awesome:

Bunks
  • @Hamsaka said:
    What makes you cry?

Other people's grief.

Bravo.

Mowing the lawn is such a commitment for Mahayanists . . .
    http://buddhism.lib.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/JR-EPT/harry.htm

yagr
  • Seeing a photo of Queen Rania of Jordan comforting the widow of the pilot murdered by IS. So much compassion in her face, set against the brutality and evil of the killers.
    Also watching wildlife programmes. My favourite animals always seem to get eaten. I realise this is how life on earth works, but it still hurts to see it sometimes. Particularly since I had kids.

Rowan1980Bunksmmo
  • @Susanna said:
    My favourite animals always seem to get eaten.

Hi Susanna, welcome.
    Some of my favourite animals are delicious predators for example crocs (a cross between fish and chicken if anyone was wondering)

Also the big cats. Spiders I like (not knowingly eaten a spider).

Wildlife programmes sure are high drama. If you can stand the drama, sometimes the impossible happens:

• I was on the edge of my seat!

lobster

@Susanna said:
    Seeing a photo of Queen Rania of Jordan comforting the widow of the pilot murdered by IS. So much compassion in her face, set against the brutality and evil of the killers.
    Also watching wildlife programmes. My favourite animals always seem to get eaten. I realise this is how life on earth works, but it still hurts to see it sometimes. Particularly since I had kids.

Welcome Susanna :)

I love wildlife docu's and all that too, and I've gotten suspicious of them sneaking in a predator scene :( I know this is life from the bottom up and someday I'll work on my equanimity about things eating other things :(

edited February 2015

This topic makes me think of something I thought of last night. It's a question I have that I know by asking means I don't understand something fundamental.

From micro to macro, life and being are 'exchanged' from one creature, or solar system, to another by 'eating' or consuming something else. Around and around. No doubt the Buddha knew this long before he was awakened -- he saw this when he was a small boy with his father at an agricultural event in the ants being trampled by the oxen pulling the plows.

Yet individual beings, even stars, resist being 'eaten', and the sentient ones grieve each loss. Clearly, the evolutionary imperative driving beings or systems is to remain intact as long as possible -- in a universe where you will inevitably be consumed or dissolve due to age and entropy. If the Buddha found complete equanimity in the face of death, sickness and bad luck, I'm thinking he didn't see something 'new', he saw How It Really Is, the whole impersonal round and round.

Does pure Awareness grieve each dissipation of 'being' or life as much as it kills and consumes it's 'prey'? Is this the only way it can possibly be?

So then why are we Buddhists enouraged to avoid killing or stealing (consuming) from another, when this is the apparent M.O. of the universe from top to bottom? Is the Buddha quoting Tim Leary and telling us to turn on and drop out? (of this whole . . . universe)

The way the universe IS makes me cry (and laugh and love but a lot of crying). Hmm, maybe that was his point.

According to at least some Buddhism, animals have the opportunity to move towards enlightenment (as they are reborn into a human realm and so on). It seems you could apply the "no killing" rule so as you are not interrupting the possible enlightenment and progression towards it of any being. But leaving them alone, and helping them when you can, you assist them towards that freedom from suffering. Not simply because killing them obviously creates them suffering, even for a moment. Of course, it also creates suffering in ourselves when we hurt other beings, delaying our own freedom.

Good questions. I'll have to think on those when I wake up a bit, lol.

We have had temps as cold as -60F here before. Those, thankfully, do not happen often. But -40F is pretty standard a few days every winter, and -20 to -30 is a guarantee for at least several weeks.

Bunks
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Most of you already know the #1 thing that makes me cry - having lost my son 5 yrs. ago. I am pretty much a big crybaby and make no apologies for it...I joined Pinterest a year or so ago, and started out pretty tame, but there are plenty of gory pictures about war and freak accidents or deformities caused by everything under the sun, from Chernobyl to genetic accidents. Aside from that, what stresses me is unfair things, betrayals and all that sorta thing. Part of me wishes I'd been born before photography and the media. Life sure would've been a lot simpler and somewhat more tenable.

• @Susanna said:
    I was on the edge of my seat!

Yep. High drama. :)

@Hamsaka I find your questions very pertinent. <3 At the moment I am wearing and on occasion using a mala made of skull beads. When we are discussing what we cry at, it is sometimes useful to examine the underlying principles.

Mostly it is clinging to impermenance, wanting it to be eternal that causes us grief. Thinking in archetypes as @Hamsaka is doing strikes me as examining with more depth and potential insight.

We die, our children die. Good people die. Life is precious. Be kind more and you will have less time for crying . . . well that is my sob story . . .

Hamsaka
    This totally makes me weepy, too. Happy tears!

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

That was someones elses view above - TV don't make me cry (well it does sometimes) - all, and I mean all of you do, when I think about you! Uh! holding back a little now :heart:

Anyway in a jolt back to my own reality... What are you crying about?

• I'm a Geordie blerk and we're not usually known to cry. However, when I eventually got sober, at A.A. meetings while sharing, I used to well up with gratefulness for the help and support I received, and I have been known to cry a little - in a really manly way of course.

lobsterBuddhadragon

Never be ashamed to cry - even if you are a man or mere human

@lobster said:
    Mostly it is clinging to impermenance, wanting it to be eternal that causes us grief.

It's a dirty trick of evolution to imbue us with such attachment to 'permanence' when it can deliver it only intermittently and then, only for a short time.

No wonder the Buddha concluded "Just get off the hamster wheel, people."

ShoshinlobsterVastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

What a nice thread..... As the years go by, and my heart opens...I feel like I cry over everything!!!!! Hahaha....It's great though...If I'm happy the tears flow....sad...yep...but, hey, I'm in it, knee deep...whatever....

BunksJeffrey
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

A sad Irish ballad full of longing for the old country will do it for me.

BunksJeffrey