Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dreams and sleep meditation

All of my life, I have been a very vivid dreamer. I have long, elaborate, sometimes epic dreams. I also have in past been subject to terrifying, horrific nightmares. I have long sought some meaning or purpose in them, either metaphysical or psychological, but mostly come up empty.

Which is exactly what they are.

This morning, in meditation, it came to me; dreams are nothing more and nothing less than ideas and feeling that arise and dissipate during sleep awareness, just as thoughts do during wakefulness. Deprived of the 5 physical senses due to unconsciousness, the mind becomes absorbed into these thoughts and feelings, attempting to construct them into logical patterns in order to process them. The less mindful we are in our lives, the more disturbing and intense these dreams might becomes.

Once upon a time, when I was much younger, I went through a period of regular yoga and meditation. I found myself with the ability to dream lucidly, to control the direction of my dreams and "fly" through my thoughts as if I were an explorer in a magical kingdom. As I grew older and fell out of practice, I lost the ability, and dreams became my enemy.

I now feel that dreams can become an amazing meditative tool. In a dream state, we are numbed to external stimuli to a large degree. This means that we can become especially mindful of our own minds, and learn to label our dreams as nothing more than conditional arising; not some magical phenomena that have some sort of mystical power of their own, but particularly strong images to which we can easily become immersed and attached.

If I can learn to reach a mindful state while dreaming, and learn to dream without judgement, then perhaps I can increase my mindfulness during waking life!

Earthninjalobstermmo

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I am a lucid dreamer, so I have control over the outcome and progression of most of my dreams. I'm not sure it's made me more able to be mindful in regular life, though. I've had lucid dreams most of my life, and mindfulness has only crept in as I've become aware of how to practice and create it. It's to the point I can decide what I prefer to dream about, and achieve that most nights. I don't generally specifically say "I want to dream about a vacation on the beach" but I often look to dream about more vague topics "I'd like to dream about something I'd like to work towards." My dreams and how vivid they are often depends on my meditation and yoga practice during the day. the more focused I am on those things, the more focused and vivid my dream life is. I have a book called "the Tibetan Yoga of Dreams and Sleep" (I think that is the title) that is quite an interesting read.

It's interesting to learn how to control the conscience that way, but like I said, it doesn't necessarily translate to more control during the day. It's easy to lose oneself in mindfulness and outcome when you are soft and warm and sleeping. It's another thing to maintain that mindfulness when someone is actually yelling at you, or you have more bills to pay than you have money in the bank, or when one of your kids is having a serious medical problem, and so on. It's kind of like a game show. When you are watching from home, the answers are simple and obvious, and we yell at the contestants (dream world) when in reality, being in the situation makes it much more difficult to manage all the variables and deal with what is there (real life). If I run into a problem in a dream, I can just imagine the way out, whether it's logical or not. That doesn't really work in real life. I can't flap my arms and fly away from scary situations like I can in dream land.

Earthninja
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    I use dreams as a tool to understand I'm not the body mind. When you wake from a dream you realise you were never actually IN the dream. But the dreamer. The one who created the while thing. Your body is not there. Your body is at home in bed. Your mind is not there. Not in the sense of thoughts.

So who or what is there during dreams? It's not the gross mind or the body, so I can't be either right.
    Yet there's still an inherent attachment to body mind.
    Amthorn
  • Dream yoga or lucid meditation whilst z z z might be of interest . . .
    http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/dream-yoga.html

Hamsaka
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

There's a really wonderful book called Conscious Dreaming, and it's filled with wonderful techniques about how one can better recall and keep vividfresh memories of the slumber time.

Of course, the guy who wrote the book has many inclinations about how you can interpret your dreams but he really leaves it up to the reader to decide that stuff. He mostly shares his own experiences in having very vivid native-american-life dreams and then actually going to find living native americans to help him figure out what they could mean.

Some of the techniques he talks about in the book are very helpful. Have you ever been in a room or a position with a thought and then moved away and the thought was gone? Have you ever had that happen and then returned to the first position or place and the thought came back?

Same is true of dreaming and posture! If you are freshly awoken and you get back into the posture you were in, a lot of the dream can come back to you. That was a fascinating discovery for me and lends more to the idea of an actual semi-structured prana flowing around and through. At least for me it does, you can draw your own conclusions (;

Another thing from the book I remember is that he encourages people to keep a dream journal. Now, with phones and stuff, it's just as easy to frantically type out what your dream was as you remember it in great detail. Reminding yourself to "dream lucidly" or setting a deep intention before you fall asleep is also a pivotal point and can help a lot.

Thanks a lot for your post, @Amthorn, it sounds like a very good realization to have. May you always rest in pristine awareness when you lay down to "sleep" (=

Definitely try and keep awareness without clinging as you drift off. It is easy to try and when you can just observe what happens you can learn a great deal about your mind

Amthorn