Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

When was the last time you really enjoyed yourself?

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Taking any kind of stimulants out of the equation (drugs or alcohol), when was the last time you were really happy and enjoyed yourself?

I honestly am racking my brain to think of any time (especially since I have had kids!) that I have been totally relaxed and able to let go of everything. Maybe on a couple of weekend meditation retreats I've been on?

I think I need a holiday...... =)

VictoriousEarthninjaShoshin

Comments

• without alcohol is a tough one not that I am a big drunk (i do a deeds counter app and average 1 drink/day). I went on vacation in Florida and that was great but I drank every day so that was a factor. Hot tubbing is really fun.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2015

I smile every day but I think Bunks means like a 'peak' experience @Shoshin I love sleeping and feel great but then forget when I wake up how good it felt.

Kundo
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited February 2015

@Jeffrey said:
    I smile every day but I think Bunks means like a 'peak' experience Shoshin I love sleeping and feel great but then forget when I wake up how good it felt.

@Jeffrey,

But this is real enjoyment for me.... :)

• you mean you have a peak experience every day?

edited February 2015

Yes...why not ?

I'm also fortunate in that I can have cushion time twice a day every day :)

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2015

@Bunks said:

Taking any kind of stimulants out of the equation (drugs or alcohol), when was the last time you were really happy and enjoyed yourself?

I honestly am racking my brain to think of any time (especially since I have had kids!) that I have been totally relaxed and able to let go of everything. Maybe on a couple of weekend meditation retreats I've been on?

Obviously your partner doesn't come on this site.

ShoshinBunksKundoBeej
  • you can have the cushion more than twice.

Yes...All day and everyday is a magical mystery tour, but only on two occasions each day do I actually sit on the cushion and go a little deeper into observing the tour... :)

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Ha ha @how. I have a two year old and a five year old so any of that type of shenanigans is few and far between these days!

@Shoshin - I know the place where you live so I am not surprised you are happy every day! Paradise......
    I was referring to a period of sustained contentment or happiness I.e. at least a few hours.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

To answer @Bunks' question in the spirit it was asked, I would say probably quite a while....

Sure, you can split hairs and define moment-to-moment instances of situations ranging from inner pleased contentment, to Pure Joy, but in the sense Bunks means, as in those memories that "...flash upon the Inward eye which is the bliss of solitude".... I guess I'm seriously talking about 6 or 7 years ago.

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

@Bunks said:

I agree. A couple of months or so in SL. Kids barred. :).

But I think it is essential to relax and just hang in the everyday events.
    It is about finding the nodes of stress and relieve them. Just let them go.
    But it is difficult and not a hundred percent rest.

I read some advice from a millionare about how to invest.
    His final advice was to work with a thing you love doing and you will never have to work a single day in your life.

Kinda good advice I think.

To answer your question. It has been too long. But Winter always gets me down.

/Victor

• I enjoyed my morning meditation, looking forward to my work journey. Might engage in some peaky teeth cleaning if I can stand the overindulgence . . .
    I must be some sort of spiritual pervert. I find I really enjoy practically everything. The sun is shining, off to work shortly, about to enjoy breakfast.

Is Dukkha compulsory for Buddhists? I done wrong again?

ShoshinToshNichymmo

@Bunks, I do in a sense have sustained contentment ie "consistency" I live alone (one could say on retreat I can tune into the so called "bliss of solitude" whenever it suits-we all can if we care to put our 'minds' to it) I can look at my past with no feelings of regret or sadness what's done is done...And I don't ponder the what ifs....

My children are all grown and have flown the coop, I have no money worries ( simply because I don't have any to worry about :D) I have a roof over my head and food in the pantry and clean drinking water,(I don't drink alcohol, nor smoke tobacco, I no longer touch drugs and I'm vegetarian) I get great satisfaction from my part paid/volunteer work...

And as you mentioned before, I live in a beautiful place and fortunate enough to have beautiful friends, Buddhists, Atheists, Christians, whatever...

In all honesty the short term bursts of blissful happiness (an hour a day a week) that you speak of, I have no real need for...(besides It might cramp my style :D )

But like most things it's "Different strokes for different folks" I wish those who seek it, all the happiness they can handle....

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

The things I enjoy most these days are walking by the sea and the company of good friends. And having a giggle!

Shoshinlobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited February 2015
    I thought it was going to be sunday as the kiddo was at her Nanas while I was between midnight shifts. I was going to come home, have a nice meal and fall asleep by 10am with no alarm on and just sleep for 10 straight hours or so.

I ended up with a painful throat and chest cold and remembered I had to go do laundry down the road while it's -21 celsius.

Will try again in 2 weeks.

There will be times I can relax, I'm sure. I shouldn't even be awake right now for crying out softly.

In fact, I was supposed to go see a sick friend today while kiddo is at Mommy's visit but since I don't want him to get my crappy cold to add to his burden, I'm going to have a hot bath and read Star Trek. But then, much can happen in 6 hours.

Use what you have in reach.
    silver
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    Hey @Bunks , great topic!
    I try spend at least a small amount of time by myself everyday.

Mainly it's taking an hour to go walk the dogs, I head for bush land and try escape suburbia.
    This is another meditation session for me but very enjoyable.

So yeah, solitude and nature. :) if you can make time for this. You will feel great for it :).

Holiday to your local bush land mate! This long weekend!
  • I really enjoy myself when I cook. And when I cook for others and see that they like the food I am making, the joy doubles. :smile:

I tend to completely relax when I learn something new, such as a foreign language. When I'm in "learning mode", that means that I am completely focused and relaxed. The hardest part is to learn how to get into this state of flow when I do other things too. :awesome:

mmo

@Earthninja said:> Holiday to your local bush land mate! This long weekend!

And take a few tinnies with you!

Earthninja
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

As far as being on a big holiday or trip, not very often. But I actually find those more stressful than I do totally relaxing and enoyable, lol. We are going to Florida with my dad and all 3 kids in April and the logistics alone are a nightmare. There will be enjoyable times, no doubt, lots of memories. But I almost always find I need a vacation after the vacation is over. I've looking forward to relaxing on the beach and snorkeling in the keys. Disney not as much. Kind of hoping we can avoid it and do something more fun.

But I enjoy, and I mean really enjoy, moments every day. I find that much better at helping me be content and "letting loose" than big events like trips. This morning, it's about 12F degrees. It's amazingly nice with a warm breeze, after several weeks of temps that didn't get above single digits and nights in the -30F range. I walk with the kids to the bus stop, and the sky is very blue. There are big birds enjoying soaring in the wind. My tiny corner of the world looks beautiful this morning. It's those moments that I enjoy the most, and I literally stand and watch and just soak it in. I try to notice those types of things every day, and usually I succeed. Yesterday I enjoyed my children actually getting along (amazing) and our youngest son being so thrilled with his new bed that he couldn't wait for bedtime, lol.

I might still be on retreat high, too. I always get that for several days after spending time with my teacher and sangha, which I did a few days ago. But I really do try to find things to enjoy about every day because life is too short to wait for retreats and vacations.

silverBunks
  • Every Saturday morning (usually; I'm a bit injured at the moment), I pick up my mate Tye (he's a border collie) and we go for some really long - off road - runs through the Wye Valley. The last two times we did this, we did 24 miles.

Recently I was a beautiful place in between Brockweir Bridge and Bigsweir Bridge, I had the River Wye on the left of me; either side was the forested valley - the sun was shining - and I had was just filled with joy. It didn't last long, but it was a lovely experience at the time.

These Saturday runs feels like frrreeeeeeeedddddoooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm (shouted in a Scottish accent).

Well, kind of. I tire at about 18 miles and the last 6 are a bit of a drag.

And then I get the rest of the day to slob about and eat.

mmoTalis

24 miles! I did a 12 mile walk recently and felt knackered at the end. ;)

Tosh
  • NichyNichy Explorer

@Bunks said:

Sunday was the last time I enjoyed myself... It was the first time in a while I didn't have anything to do or any place to go... it was just me, my puppies (who keep on escaping) and my hulu :)

@Nichy said:

Forgive me but what is a hulu?

@Tosh said:
    Every Saturday morning (usually; I'm a bit injured at the moment), I pick up my mate Tye (he's a border collie) and we go for some really long - off road - runs through the Wye Valley. The last two times we did this, we did 24 miles.

Recently I was a beautiful place in between Brockweir Bridge and Bigsweir Bridge, I had the River Wye on the left of me; either side was the forested valley - the sun was shining - and I had was just filled with joy. It didn't last long, but it was a lovely experience at the time.

These Saturday runs feels like frrreeeeeeeedddddoooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm (shouted in a Scottish accent).

Well, kind of. I tire at about 18 miles and the last 6 are a bit of a drag.

And then I get the rest of the day to slob about and eat.

By nature I am not a jealous person @Tosh but I do miss those long runs I used to do alone. Such a feeling of peace and freedom.

Unfortunately the old knees and hamstrings won't allow it any more. I do about 3 miles and they're sore for days! :(

• NichyNichy Explorer

@Bunks said:

Hulu is a streaming device, that you can use to watch tv shows and movies.

Bunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@Bunks

Each mindful breath that I can relax into is what I think of as enjoyment.
    The contentment of feeling this current expansion and contraction of my lungs to be just as important as any like or dislike.
    Another moment of wonder at how simple it can all be.

BunksRodrigolobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2015

@Nichy said:

Ohhhh..My poor eyes again!
    Hulu!

I thought you were swinging a hoop around your waist while trying to puppy sit.

Nichylobster
  • mmommo Veteran

There are a lot of things to set good mood. Warm shower after work, some girly things like playing around with different skincare. Or solitude and just in the quiet environment. I'm enjoying myself now, being on my couch with a light blanket, reading new buddhist B) although I have to admit the fridge is a bit noisy.

• @how said:

Each mindful breath that I can relax into is what I think of as enjoyment.
    The contentment of feeling this current expansion and contraction of my lungs to be just as important as any like or dislike.
    Another moment of wonder at how simple it can all be.

Gimme it. Please! >:)

• @Tosh said:
    Gimme it. Please!

=)
    The dharma as @how illustrates is true. The cessation of suffering/Dukkha/life z z z . . .

Perfect cessation of all difficulties, obstacles, tax collectors and other 'evils' is not possible except for Buddhas, the intrinsically pure and mythological beings, Zenniths, Arahats, the enlightened . . . that sort of thing . . .

However in finding aware mindfulness in our being, initially coming from sustained meditation practice we learn that paint drying, staring at walls, minding the breath is innately perfect and whole and sufficient unto itself.

In a sense most of us want to 'take' our pleasure. In fact it is already present. We have to allow its being . . .

That as I am sure we all know is how dharma works . . . B)

BunksTosh
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Our senses - which can cause so much trouble - are busy as anything sometimes, taking it all in - the sky, fresh air, wildlife, all of our favorite everyday things. (Last time I took a real vacation was in Aug. of 1983, I spent a month in England - the first two weeks with my neighbor and her young daughter and the second half of the month spent meeting and staying with my pen pal, whom I'd written to for 7 years. It was all so amazing. But: every day really does become a vacation by being present.

lobsterBunks
  • TalisTalis Explorer

Today :)

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@grackle said:
    Today really. The largest flock of ravens yet flew overhead. Telling all they knew and they know a lot.

This little girl has got it made.....

• Everytime I crossed pressure of everyday life with a still mind, peaceful, with a little or no struggle at all. Once a week during my off, I give myself quality time by walking on a park, or just simple relaxing my body as way of balancing. Health is always at peak at those moments. - and best of all - knowing that buddhism works for me well.

lobsterBunksJeffrey
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

This is going to sound so sappy ... the last time I really enjoyed myself was cuddling with my fiancee.

lobsterJeffreyBunks
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

Oddly enough, I managed to attend a teaching on death and impermanence led by the spiritual director of the dharma center I attend, and I got a lot out of it. (This was also my first opportunity to meet Rinpoche, so yay!) So even though one wouldn't think the subject matter to be of a happy bent, I actually enjoyed it immensely.

Bunks
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    I may have also absentmindedly high-five him. He cracked up laughing, though, so I'm not going to worry too much. :blush:
  • @Talis said:
    Today :)

Wonderful.

I honestly, sincerely and experientially feel this is where we need to be, increase in being and enjoy being if possible.

It does happen. Today I walked from Chelsea to Tower Bridge. Wandered into a Church, Cathedral, Art Gallery, got lost, met an ancient hunter God, dragon, tourists, officials etc.

Most enjoyable. Not even sure where the enclosed pic is. Somewhere along the Thames. Tried watching a couple of action films on return but they seemed boring in comparison.

BunksRowan1980Telly03
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited March 2015

The last time I found real en-Joy-ment was this Monday morning at Ten O'Clock. After a nearly sleepless night brought on by worry, speculation, and an aura of cloudy "certainty," I was informed of happy news when miscommunications from siblings had led me to expect dreadful news, or worse!

By Jove, about half an hour after the whole matter had been cleared up for me, I burst into an uncontrollable laughter, ranging from belly-laugh to the jovial laughter of the gracious, all-forgiving gods. I have laughed harder before in my life, but never for as long or with such a feeling of divine providence and the generosity and elegance of life. At once laughing at my silly shortsightedness and yet not quite being the one who laughs as much as being the laugh itself. I have experienced a great deal of ecstasy in my life, but it has usually been completely random or spontaneous, and has never to my knowledge involved laughter. Or if it has, I have seen it as amusement; although, come to think of it there is perhaps some element of ecstasy in amusement.

Well, anyhow, after a brief description of some actual life history of my brother, I will attempt to make clear what transpired from about 9 p.m. Sunday, March 1st to about 10 a.m. on Monday the 2nd. Very briefly, he has a rather mild bipolar condition; he mainly stays depressed and uninvolved, except he's extremely generous with our family. But every three or four years he goes into a manic phase and ends up being hospitalized. In fact, this happened just a month or two ago and he was so manic that they tried a therapy on him they'd never used on him before. On top of that, while he's in hospital in December 2014 he develops a blood clot in one of his legs. He is released from hospital, recovering from his manic episode but still with unresolved blood clot. He goes back to work, part-time at first, and after a week or so is back to full-time. Fine.

Meanwhile, in some phone conversations I have with him (We live roughly 1650 miles apart.) I kind of suspect he might be a little "manic," i.e., non-depressed by his tone and his lack of his usual reserve and reticence; but I speak of this to no one, as he seems very grounded in rationality.

OK. Last weekend at work was one straight out of Hell. Every patient has flu, case load is very high due to sick staff, and all those dear souls not in your care who expect your usual generous joyousness hardly get a glance from you. You come home from work exhausted Sunday night at nearly midnight and don't even notice you have a message on your phone until it's too late to return the call even to the person who called you who lives in a time zone two hours later than your own.
    The message (from a sister in Idaho at 9:19 p.m.) said that there is some information about one of my brothers, by name, and please to call. Well, it was too late! Ah the blood clot! My brother Ted was dead! All night I thought, I prayed! Or worse, perhaps an embolism had given him a stroke! And if my generous brother, who I'd rather have died than severely damaged by stroke, were dead and family wanted to have a speedy funeral, could I go? I'M NOT TRAVELLING BY PLANE WITH THE FLU and, believe me, I am exposed. And as generous as he's been to me, paying my way on European trips and us planning one to Istanbul, what an Impious brother all my other siblings would deem me! Thoughts, prayers, a few minutes' sleep. Repeat. Pete and Repeat. A vigil to precede the waiting-to-see-whether-I've-come-down-with-the-flu vigil. Anyhow, at seven o'clock I call my sister who also lives on the East Coast and leave a Mess. Then I wait another half hour to call another sister who lives in the frozen Midwest, just an hour behind my time (She rises early.). Leave Mess.

I get no response from busy family members till about 9:30. I learn that Ted was apparently headed into another manic episode!!! My sister that lives in Midwest wonders why that detail wasn't included in message. I find out later that she also left out that detail in her Mess to sister on East Coast. Funny thing, families: Alike both in their likeness and inconsistencies! We have always e-mailed each other about Teddy's episodes in the past. There must have been twenty or thirty e/mails last December alone about his manic phase and its treatment options. Telephone calls that don't leave specific information are usually harbingers of death announcements in my family.

BUT WHO CARES! Not Here Anymore!

lobsterBunkskarastiKundo
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

My boss will be kicking back at home in their PJ's the rest of the week.....

'WASHINGTON (AP) - Nothing gets Congress moving like the forecast of snow.

The House, followed by the Senate Wednesday, reached rare bipartisan agreement on the desire of lawmakers to beat a forecasted snowstorm out of town. The town being Washington, D.C., where anything white falling from the sky disrupts schools, the federal government, air traffic and roads. Congress wants no part of the chaos, at least this week, when up to eight inches is forecast to fall on the region early Thursday morning.'

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/03/04/congress-resolves-to-flee-dc-pre-snow/21149639/

Yep....they will be at home, Googling alright...

......I'm not touching that joke with a ten foot pole....lolololololol

edited March 2015

@federica said:> Hello, I'm your Boss, and I just happened to be doing a Google search..... :D

People do need to be quite careful! I remember when I was on Facebook a friend posted on my wall (?) that they'd skyved off work, and of course it's all real names on there too.

I googled my own name recently and nothing came up which I am very happy about! Hedgehogs are very private creatures as you know........

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

The very reason I don't do social media, and hide behind an avatar! If you look for me you can't find me, unless I want you too... Ta Da!

I remember something Frank Zappa once said: "These days there's too much secrecy and not enough privacy"...and that's going back a long time!

Rowan1980silverlobsterTalis