Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nottingham Vihara

ZenshinZenshin VeteranEast Midlands UK Veteran
edited February 2015 in Sanghas

I just found out a Vihara has opened in Nottingham a couple of short bus rides away from where I live. I was perusing a local Soto Zen groups site when I found out that it had opened and that Bhante Amitha from the Leicester Vihara who I have met a couple of times is the resident monk. They let the Zennies use the facilities in Leicester and Nottingham. I'm stoked meditation on a Saturday between six and seven pm. Going to give them a call in the morning.

Bunkslobster

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Which tradition is it?

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Theravada

Yes, but which sub-school?

Its Sri Lankan

Oh, I see. I've had involvement with Thai Forest and Samatha Trust in the UK, but I'm not that familiar with the other "varieties".

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I think he's referring to this:

http://www.bodhayati.org.uk/

No federica I am not. I will post a link when I am not on my phone.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Well that's two then!!

• Sounds wonderful.

The Singhalese/Sri Lankan Buddhists can be a little conservative, 'Dharma Uber alles' in some aspects. However the political situation in Sri Lanka is not all there is and frankly not something you have to indulge in. I never buy into childish and lame lama worshipping when practicing 'Tibetan' Vajrayana . . .

My nearest Sri Lankan Vihara I visited only once, they seemed fine. Might be time for another visit . . .

Cushions under bums (bottoms). Same in any sitting . . .

@federica The Bodhayati Vihara was run by this chap whose credentials as a monk are somewhat dubious. Where they practice from now is unknown as the property on Derby terrace was up for rent last time I went past on the bus.

Anyway as I Edo Shonin: http://www.edoshoninarchive.com/

This is the Vihara I meant in the original post.

http://shanthiviharadhammaschool.weebly.com/about.html

I hope that clarifies things.