Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Giving respect to Buddha.

I'm new in the practice. I'm just wondering if it is enough to respect the Buddha with the Namo chanting as I always hear it from the talks - I came from christian tradition and for me it is not proper to meditate in front of the Buddha statue without giving respect. Am I in the right practice? Is there other chanting I can use before meditating? Thanks.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I frankly don't prescribe to all this nonsense (and excuse the word, but that is my opinion of the practice.)

The buddha isn't God, he was just a man. And he's dead.
    Just sit, bow if you need to, and meditate.
    Really, there's nothing complicated about it.

There are several different schools, practices and traditions to choose from.
    The one you refer to is the only one which insists that chanting is a pre-requisite.

Buddha_Fan22
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

And excuse my manners.
    Welcome to the forum, it's lovely to have you here.

Did you mean your forum name to be 'Monkeymind'...?

Earthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2015

@mockeymind said:
    I'm new in the practice. I'm just wondering if it is enough to respect the Buddha with the Namo chanting as I always hear it from the talks - I came from christian tradition and for me it is not proper to meditate in front of the Buddha statue without giving respect. Am I in the right practice? Is there other chanting I can use before meditating? Thanks.

Hello :)
    Yes mantrayana is the basis of many Buddha schools. So much chanting available.
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2013/08/03

m m m . . . what mantra to recommend . . . frankly the respect, intent and reverence is the most useful part. You might prefer something in Pali or Sanskrit.

Don't try this which might be a little advanced/infantile:

YO BUD BUDD HA!
    YO BUDDHA MAN!
    YEH! MA MAN!

WAZ UP

Hope that is helpful. Here to help . . . possibly . . . :)

Bunks
  • Thanks for the quick response. Most of my knowledge of Buddhism comes from the talks from Ajahn Brahm and his teacher Ajahn Chac. I don't claim much of knowledge, I just learned two kinds of mediation, Breathing and Loving kindness and it helps a lot to "let go of things" makes my mind relax most of the time.

EarthninjalobsterNichy
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

While you learn about Buddhism, you'll find that the Christian concept of God is almost an 'opposite' idea to Buddhism. The Buddha was a man who taught for 60 or so years, and died and stayed dead, and didn't want anyone worshiping or admiring him. In fact, he told his mourning companion Ananda (pls someone correct me if I get this wrong) to not grieve his death, because his teachings are in every student's heart/mind, and his ephemeral body, whether it is here or gone, is not important.

Having deep respect for the teachings and the IDEA behind them, of the cessation of suffering for all sentient beings is 'more' along the lines of 'what to worship'.

Buddhism isn't a 'personality cult', or ought not to be. We humans have a default to deeply revere and admire wise persons, and elevate them to 'godhood'. This was a developmental state in the 'growing up' of humanity.

So it won't offend or matter what you chant, the Buddha honestly never cared about that and would tell you so if he were alive and spoke English.

Having great reverence and respect for his teaching, and expressing that IS a very meaningful and skillful thing that many Buddhists do. I'd suggest you check deep inside yourself and whatever chant or ritual FEELS meaningful and 'right' IS exactly right. You can't make a mistake here. Honest :) . Some Buddhists have created a religion out of it, which is fine, but it's optional. It's actually 'against' the Buddha's recorded words, in a way. IF we have his exact words, which many are quite sure of, but no one knows for sure.

Welcome to New Buddhist :)

Nichy
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2015

@mockeymind said:> Thanks for the quick response. Most of my knowledge of Buddhism comes from the talks from Ajahn Brahm and his teacher Ajahn Chah.

Excellent choice. Given that you're familiar with the Thai Forest tradition, this chanting book from Amaravati monastery in the UK might be of interest:
    http://www.amaravati.org/dhamma-books/chanting-book/

adele
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Hello! It is always helpful to know if you have a chosen tradition/school that you follow. For me, what you said is completely unfamiliar. I personally don't do a lot of chanting, and I don't even meditate in front of my little Buddha statue. He sits and overlooks our family room and I might bow to his likeness when I feel the need. But that is about it. Everyone does things differently, don't worry too much about "If I am doing it wrong, should I switch traditions or practices?" if you are doing it out of respect and compassion (including for yourself) you aren't doing it wrong. The details don't matter so much as the motivation and intention behind whatever you are doing.

• NichyNichy Explorer

@mockeymind thank you for the post, it help me as well :)

lobstersova
  • @mockeymind I have a Buddha statue in my room, but, It's not on a big fancy alter. When it's warm I usually meditate outside, for now I still do it in my room. What fredrica said is right, he's not a god and he's passed.
    Sadly, these New Age "spiritual" people, at least the ones I've meditated with a couple times, try to call upon the Buddha and they've done Pujas with his statue. That's a wrong way to practice lol

boobysattva
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

It doubt that it is 'wrong' across the board, because remember Buddhism is something you explore yourself, prove to yourself the lessons of the teachings. There was no "God" authoring the teachings, only men (which is a shame, really). Humans. There's nothing more 'powerful' or great about Buddhisms than human beings, and for some, a lot of deities who ain't perfect either :wink:

Pujas and big altars with incense and Buddha statues can appeal to you, have you curious and interested, or they don't. That's just the surface stuff that helps you get to the deep stuff EVERYONE is getting to, whatever their surface details.

NichylobsterBuddha_Fan22
  • I bought a small buddha statue not to worship the Buddha, but rather to give respect for his qualities and teaching. I strongly believe that an altar should reflect ones owners heart. When I clean and lit candle, it is a reflection of what's inside of me.

Nirvanalobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Hi, @mockeymind!

I do some chanting of mantras and several rounds of malas a day.
    @lobster will be better able to explain you why, because I still have no idea myself why I do it ;)
    Consequence of mixing and mingling traditions, I guess...

I agree with the above: the Buddha is no god and the idea is not quite to bow at his image, though he's treated as a divinity in several Asian countries you might visit.

The idea is to put his teachings into practice. Read, learn, and walk the path.
    In his last days, he enjoined his disciple Ananda, as he worried over the Buddha's funeral:

"Worry not about the body-rites of the Tathagata, Ananda. Strive for your own welfare, apply yourselves to your own welfare: dwell heedful, ardent and resolute."
    (D.N. ii 141- F. L. Woodward translation)

The teaching is above all rites and ceremonies.

Nichy
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Beautifully said, mockeymind! Some of us rather have razors for tongues, for which I am truly sorry. I have found that the less I write, the less I am attacked. There's no safe topic on NewBuddhist, so you'll need tough skin and a wonderful sense of humor. But just don't expect the same from others.

anataman

@Nirvana said:
    Beautifully said, mockeymind! Some of us rather have razors for tongues, for which I am truly sorry. I have found that the less I write, the less I am attacked. There's no safe topic on NewBuddhist, so you'll need tough skin and a wonderful sense of humor. But just don't expect the same from others.

Dhammapada, Verse 50.

• Even the buddha during his time encountered such things. But I really believe that whatever avenue we are in, "un-clinging" should be the goal. I don't claim wisdom on the matter, all i know is that buddhism is basically "letting go"

seeker242
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited February 2015

Siddhārtha Gautama is a saviour of sorts and deserves respect from those of us who have greatly benefited from the insight he passed down…

To prostrate before a Buddha image is to practice humility giving up/chipping away at the egocentric self …It's just another way to practice the Dharma (that many adhere to)

In a nutshell.... to pay homage to the Buddha is just showing ones gratitude...

But as they say...."Different strokes for different folks!"

lobster
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2015

@mockeymind said:
    Even the buddha during his time encountered such things. But I really believe that whatever avenue we are in, "un-clinging" should be the goal. I don't claim wisdom on the matter, all i know is that buddhism is basically "letting go"

My main problem with some Christians is their tendency to oversimplify. In my "Book," oversimplification is Falsification. Fundamentalist Christians have oversimplified the Christian teaching and tradition to the extent that I cannot even see through their refined flour dust to see the Christ.

Speaking of simplification, "Letting Go" and "not Clinging" are not inelegant concepts of the task that lies ahead of us in life. We simply cannot afford to grow too attached to things, as we will have to lose everything eventually. But the Wisdom that will make that both graceful and possible can only come from clinging to The Lord Buddha (if you are Buddhist). Therefore, I would not in any way feel obliged to let go any part of the Triple Gem.

lobstermockeymind
  • Welcome @mockeymind
    I attended a meditation session at a Shambhala center not too long ago. It was my first and last visit there. I was surprised to see people there bowing to an altar statue. Some people wouldn't even turn their backs to the statue. They took great pains to exit the room without turning their backs to the altar. This struck me as odd.
    As for myself, I have a small Buddha statue I bought in India a couple years ago. It's in my room and is simply a little reminder that I seek refuge in Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha.
    I guess everyone is different.

Prostrations I don't mind, they are part of the preliminaries I am working through. At first, they felt very odd indeed. I was never comfortable when I attended Catholic church with relatives getting on my knees during prayer. But I realize now that had more to do with my lack of respect for the things I heard there. My teacher asks us, if we are physically able, to give it a shot and see what it does for us. So I did. I find it a good practice. It is quite humbling as someone else said, and I think that is a practice a lot of people can get more use out of. It is not about praising the statue but just a sign of respect for the teachings. Just like at the end of our sangha meetings I bow briefly to our meeting leader, and to my teacher when I enter and depart his presence. But it took a while before I was comfortable doing so.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2015

Prostrations are a symbolic form of humbling. Even though many find no need for humility, there are many other benefits, including the workout potential when doing them by the dozens or more. They are also a way of getting used to mindful physicality, similar to walking meditation.

You are partly, on some level, bowing to your Future Being, the Awakened One.

Also watch out for the wrathful manifestations which tantrists bow to on occasion . . .
    http://web.archive.org/web/20071014045112/http://exoticindiaart.com/article/wrathful

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited February 2015

@mockeymind -- Welcome.

It may help your practice to remember that "Buddha" just means "awake" -- nothing more and nothing less. No sane person wakes up in the morning and says, "Holy mackerel! I'm awake!" On the one hand, Buddha is pretty special. On the other, it's nothing out of the ordinary. Your practice will show the way.

When it comes to a devotional or even adorational approach to statues and the like, my feeling is, go ahead ... do it if you like or don't if you don't ... but keep on practicing. Practice has a way of straightening things out when they get tangled.

Sometimes a tremendous love can infuse practice, just as an enormous anger can. Practice is for human beings and you are a human being, so don't be surprised or downcast if human stuff crops up. Just keep on practicing and see what happens. Are you doing it "right?" Are you doing it "wrong?" Never mind ... just keep on practicing.

Best wishes.

lobsterBunksNichy
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2015

chanting is part of taking refuge.

Namo Buddha
    Namo Dharma
    Namo Sangha

In the mahayana there is also 'arousing bodhicitta'

May the heart's awareness awaken in the unawakened
    Where it has begun to stir may it never fade
    And may it awaken fully

>

(henceforth I only remember pieces)

There is also turning from samsara chant

Death comes without warning
    It may come today
    Parting me from all that is familiar
    And all those I love
    Now is the time to think of heart connections
    Now is the time to think of what goes beyond birth and death.. (much more I don't remember)

It's also very common to chant the heart sutra http://www.lamayeshe.com/?sect=article&id=375

The Heart of the Perfection of Wisdom Sutra
    (Ârya-bhagavatî-prajñâpâramitâ-hridaya-sûtra)

Thus did I hear at one time. The Bhagavan was dwelling on Mass of Vultures Mountain in Rajagriha together with a great community of monks and a great community of bodhisattvas. At that time, the Bhagavan was absorbed in the concentration on the categories of phenomena called “Profound Perception.”

Also, at that time, the bodhisattva mahasattva arya Avalokiteshvara looked upon the very practice of the profound perfection of wisdom and beheld those five aggregates also as empty of inherent nature.

Then, through the power of Buddha, the venerable Shariputra said this to the bodhisattva mahasattva arya Avalokiteshvara: “How should any son of the lineage train who wishes to practice the activity of the profound perfection of wisdom?”

He said that and the bodhisattva mahasattva arya Avalokiteshvara said this to the venerable Sharadvatiputra. “Shariputra, any son of the lineage or daughter of the lineage who wishes to practice the activity of the profound perfection of wisdom should look upon it like this, correctly and repeatedly beholding those five aggregates also as empty of inherent nature.

“Form is empty. Emptiness is form. Emptiness is not other than form; form is also not other than emptiness. In the same way, feeling, discrimination, compositional factors, and consciousness are empty.

“Shariputra, likewise, all phenomena are emptiness; without characteristic; unproduced, unceased; stainless, not without stain; not deficient, not fulfilled.

“Shariputra, therefore, in emptiness there is no form, no feeling, no discrimination, no compositional factors, no consciousness; no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind; no visual form, no sound, no odor, no taste, no object of touch, and no phenomenon. There is no eye element and so on up to and including no mind element and no mental consciousness element. There is no ignorance, no extinction of ignorance, and so on up to and including no aging and death and no extinction of aging and death. Similarly, there is no suffering, origination, cessation, and path; there is no exalted wisdom, no attainment, and also no non-attainment.

“Shariputra, therefore, because there is no attainment, bodhisattvas rely on and dwell in the perfection of wisdom, the mind without obscuration and without fear. Having completely passed beyond error, they reach the end-point of nirvana. All the buddhas who dwell in the three times also manifestly, completely awaken to unsurpassable, perfect, complete enlightenment in reliance on the perfection of wisdom.

“Therefore, the mantra of the perfection of wisdom, the mantra of great knowledge, the unsurpassed mantra, the mantra equal to the unequaled, the mantra that thoroughly pacifies all suffering, should be known as truth since it is not false. The mantra of the perfection of wisdom is declared:

TADYATHA [OM] GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA

“Shariputra, the bodhisattva mahasattva should train in the profound perfection of wisdom like that.”

Then the Bhagavan arose from that concentration and commended the bodhisattva mahasattva arya Avalokiteshvara saying: “Well said, well said, son of the lineage, it is like that. It is like that; one should practice the profound perfection of wisdom just as you have indicated; even the tathagatas rejoice.”

The Bhagavan having thus spoken, the venerable Sharadvatiputra, the bodhisattva mahasattva arya Avalokiteshvara, those surrounding in their entirety along with the world of gods, humans, asuras, and gandharvas were overjoyed and highly praised that spoken by the Bhagavan.

(This completes the Ârya-bhagavatî-prajñâpâramitâ-hridaya-sûtra)

Also morning and evening puja where I believe a connection to the dharma is established including destroying or burning up negative karma.

(I forget this one sorry)

Also om mani padme hum mantra.

(as said multiple chanting you can see a youtube for the rhythm)

Also the Padmasambhava mantra:

om ah hum vajra guru peme siddhi hum

Also 'calling the lama from afar'

(forgot this one too but it is about asking the lama to teach you and to stay in the world much like you would ask your sibling to show you how to fix your computer!)

In my sangha my teacher's guru has composed 'dohas' or spontaneous songs expressing liberation and we sing them sometimes.

lobsterKundo

Yes, we do some chanting as a group, and we always do the heart sutra at the start of a retreat. We don't everything though, including refuge vows and some other things. When I get to the guru yoga portion of my preliminaries I know there will be chanting. My husband will be scared, LOL.

• Imagine all of the Boddhisatvas all bowing to the Buddha all at the same time across space and time everywhere in the universe!

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I disagree with all of the above - if you believe that chanting the name of buddha will lead to your enlightenment - then it will; but you need to have faith that will happen, otherwise - what?

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/mcb/mcb10.htm

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Oops, "faith" has entered the equation.

edited February 2015

well this is a good time to discuss faith - what is it @vinlyn
    If it's nothing - then blah is a satisfactory response

If it is an experience based on personal knowledge of transformation of consciousness - then there might be something in it, so don't be so dismissive

If it is one view against another - then there is something in the conflict that need s to be resolved....

However, there is another way of looking at this and other things - well lets heal the wounds:

Whatever - solution-focussed is better than problem focussed; or is it?

@anataman said:

If it is an experience based on personal knowledge of transformation of consciousness - then there might be something in it, so don't be so dismissive

Your assumption that I am dismissive of faith is incorrect.

There are a whole lot of different types of faith. I have faith in some things simply because they have proven I can trust them, like my parents or my husband. I have faith in other things because I have experienced them, like meditation or yoga. I have faith in other things that have no basis or proof whatsoever, but somewhere, somehow, I have a sense that it's right, at least at that moment.

@karasti said:
    There are a whole lot of different types of faith. I have faith in some things simply because they have proven I can trust them, like my parents or my husband. I have faith in other things because I have experienced them, like meditation or yoga. I have faith in other things that have no basis or proof whatsoever, but somewhere, somehow, I have a sense that it's right, at least at that moment.

Cool. You're honest about it!

• Sometimes the faith is transcendental regardless of whether anything can be proven.

bookwormKundokarasti
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@anataman said:
    well this is a good time to discuss faith - what is it vinlyn
    If it's nothing - then blah is a satisfactory response

If it is one view against another - then there is something in the conflict that need s to be resolved....

However, there is another way of looking at this and other things - well lets heal the wounds:

Whatever - solution-focussed is better than problem focussed; or is it?

Imma let you finish but let me get my popcorn....................

Don't bother, it's a repeat matinee...if it gets too tedious I tend to stop the movie anyway....

Kundo
  • @SpinyNorman - Thank you for the link. I read a book from this monastery wrote by Ajahn Sumedho - Intuitive Awareness also from forest tradition.

I guess we are talking about the same thing, and I'm not talking about blind faith @vinlyn, which is based on an idea or belief - I'm not talking about that faith that is you 'knowing' you are right either (that is also a relative phenomenon); I'm not even talking talking about Goldilocks faith that is just right (not too hot or cold, sweet or bitter, hard or soft). I'm talking about the experience that can't be discussed in any meaningful way. Bummer faith I call it, because I can't do anything meaningful with it, except observe it in action!

@federica said:
    Don't bother, it's a repeat matinee...if it gets too tedious I tend to stop the movie anyway....

That's life in a nutshell, that is...

To the OP: out of interest, and with the deepest respect, do you desire respect from others?

@anataman, of what relevance is that to the original question?

edited February 2015

What the question I asked about whether the OP was looking at his own desire for respect?

@federica It was an aside, a flippant comment, much like @dhammachick's popcorn comment, and your own, re the movie... So back to the OP

The buddha does not need or desire respect, as an awakened person does not require deification by an illusion.

Buddha Keanu teaches us this:

No, I was just curious. It was actually a good question.

anataman

I think you may have hit your own nail right on its head: "I'm talking about the experience that can't be discussed in any meaningful way".

Kundo
  • @mockeymind said:

I hope you are finding that for many Buddhists being questioning, apparently disrespectful, devotional and attuned, are all valid dharma gates or ways to understanding. B)

. . . this variety of potential ensures our respectful reverence is perfectly valid and equally skilled . . .

Perhaps some ways to describe the Buddha:

• The Awakened Form
    • The Idealised Pure Self
    • The Guiding Principal/Principle

Namo Buddha

• adeleadele Blackpool Rocks! Explorer

monkey mind, I am also a new Buddhist and from a Catholic background and I do like to do prostrations in front of a shrine I have created and I like to use mantras. These come naturally to me. SpinyNorman - thanks for the Amaravati chants as I am going there in May and June and these help me to get some of the atmosphere.

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Respect is not a decision. It is the result of your own experience. Once you start to get results from your Buddhist practices and you see what they mean ... only then can your respect be based on anything real. And when you take refuge, it is with the understanding of what Buddhism has done for you ... it is with respect. Until then, yes, chant the "namo ....".

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2015

@FoibleFull I think you can make aspirations to respect and in that moment there is actually respect because you made the aspiration. It is I think even though the respect can fall apart and even contempt replace it.

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Aspirations are tremendously important. Intention is tremendously important too. We train ourselves through setting our aspirations and intentions. They are the vehicle to take us to experience.

• This is a very interesting thread. I read somewhere that in christianity it is clearly said not to let any statues from eastern religions to enter your home, just shy of comparing them to the devil. I have enjoyed christianity having studied in catholic schools and love jesus and moses and all those lovely miracles they performed. I love action heroes and movies and comics. So you can see where I am coming from :) i love the jataka tales and the awesome bio of buddha by Thay in which i actually love the cowherder more than the buddha :) i love chants discourses commentaries. i would love to get this blue buddha in ceramic i saw at a store. i just worry i will defile him. I just worry if i get a statue in my home i will become a priest because my home will become a temple. Does someone else also feel this fear and this beauty at the same time ? What did they do ? How did they overcome ? What insight did they develop ?
  • @boobysattva said:
    i would love to get this blue buddha in ceramic i saw at a store. i just worry i will defile him.

Defile by blue ceramic? Pah get statue.

Here is one I defiled earlier . . .

and now back to the serious clowning . . .

boobysattva
  • @lobster this one looks eerily familiar - the other day my right eye was interfering with my mock meditation and lo and behold came a chinese buddha gnome size but dressed like santa except white suit and red and green scarf and cap combo, and while swinging past he poked my eye.