Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Positivity from negativity

Since an accident in 2008 where I broke my back I have been left with a degenerative neurological condition called Central Pain Syndrome, which has slowly taken over my body. At the point of writing this now affects approximately 85 to 90% of my body. Sustaining or having any life changing condition or situation can bring about some very many dark and painful symptoms and situations. But writing this piece isn’t about obtaining sympathy, but to ask what’s the positives that can and have come out of it.
For me personally having been a craftsman, fitness enthusiast and very active person, I am now only able to shuffle around and used a wheelchair for a couple of hours a day and being laid up for the rest. I have had to learn to communicate more verbally, to be still, also to find different creative outlets of digital/graphic art, using voice activated software and graphics tablet. CPS has given me the time to study, digest and practice my chosen path of Buddhism. Also dealing with the extreme amounts of pain and mental turmoil, it’s allowed me to build strengths that I didn’t know existed in me. Alongside these it has expanded and strengthened my connections to my loved ones. I also I feel that the time that I have on my hands now has allowed me to see the world from a different perspective, increasing the understanding that n matter how bad the bad days get from me, others out there struggle more on a day-to-day level. So as the saying goes “every cloud has a silver lining” we just have to look for it, so that being said what’s your silver lining? ? I ask this only because over the last couple of years for me finding the positives has helped me a lot more than focusing on the negatives.

P.S: if you would like more info on CPS, please check ot the CPS foundation site: http://centralpainsyndromefoundation.com/information-for-medical-professionals/

lobsteryagrHamsakaBuddhadragonToshJeffrey

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Thank you for sharing @Talis; it's posts like yours that shake me from my reverie, self-pity and put my issues into perspective. Wallowing is a trait I have, which I actually loathe. Sometimes, it gets the better of me. Most times, I can deal with it, but occasionally, I forget to be 'watchful' of this ego-based tendency.

lobster
  • ^^^ Mindful Wallowing is loathsome? I knew I maybe needed hippoInstruction . . .

. . . and now back to the lotus jewel in the glorious mud . . .

yagrTalis
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@Talis Hugs to you. My aunt suffers a similar condition (It might be the same, i am not sure of the name of her diagnosis). She also was in a car accident, hit from behind by a semi, and suffered a horrible back injury. Her pain is also the result of neurological problems. Her good days mean she can sit in a chair and read a book to her grandkids, and that is what she loves to do more than anything. She does get botox treatments every 12 weeks, they help the pain subside some for a short period, but then there is nothing they can do for those last few weeks when it wears off and she must simply endure the pain until the next shots. It's amazing to me how she, and you, see the positive in life and go through what you do. She is one of the most patient, compassionate, loving, positive people I have ever met. I honestly can't even comprehend that kind of chronic pain, nevermind the ability to maintain such an attitude through it all.

Sometimes the hardest thing is to realize that you don't recognize the silver linings in your life until you can see them in hindsight. For me I mean. I'm grateful you are aware of yours on a regular basis. I've been through challenges in life like anyone else, but they are minimal. I haven't needed to dig into my bag of silver linings very often. I do try to see the positive in every day, even if I'm simply feeling out of sorts. Thank you for the reminder.

Talis
  • TalisTalis Explorer

Oh the irony, pain levels gone up, just because I mentioned the “P” word! ;) well time to focus on those silver linings. A good thing I just got new glasses :D Thank you for the lovely comments guy’s <3

• I don't like pain, or not being able to do the things I just take for granted, that I do. To be honest, I don't know how I would cope with your condition; that is such a lot to work with. Respect for the positive attitude, Talis.

I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Regards

Tosh