Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Has your week been a 'mindful' one ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Did you get to practice Dharma in the flesh ? ie, a situation arose where you use your understanding of the Dharma to work with/through it ...

For example : It might have been something simple like centering oneself and not flying off the handle when being provoked (which in the past might have been a normal 'reaction' in a similar situation)

Or showing more patience/compassion/tolerance/generosity( with time or material) than usual...

Has your week been a 'mindful' one ?

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Like most, hit or miss. Many many opportunities to practice. Some taken, some I missed. But this week was better than many before it. I talked to my teacher last weekend and re-dedicated myself to some parts of practice I had let go when I've been so busy with my son's college prep. I should know better, the more life goes crazy, the more my practice has to be stable so I can deal. This week will be crazy too, but I'm ready :) The past week or so my main thought has been "do no harm" that I repeat to myself many times a day, it helps me keep calm instead of being short with the kids, and so on. Also, I have been wearing my mala to remind me.

Shoshin
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Oh yeah...I've been walking more, to slowly get back into a health regime of sorts - and after a week or so of doing that, my various muscles n joints were complaining - they were very polite taking turns n all.....so, Patience comes to mind as fur as practice. I'm sleeping better, though.....more mindful of doing - remembering the things to do, the supplements to take in order to help maintain.

Practicing keeping my shirt on - heh - when I get up the next day to discover the various aches and pains brought on by the extra walking. It's very funny to me, using the term mindfulness when my folks would say I'm just keeping my shirt on, or my powder dry. B)

Btw, I'd love to share the fact that even though I forget sometimes, I wear a rainbow fluorite pendant on a natural fiber twine at night to help me sleep, and by golly, it works wonders for me.

ShoshinlobsterBuddhadragon
  • Did you get to practice Dharma in the flesh?

I am dharma in the flesh . . . however nobody believes that, not even me . . .

. . . on more occasions than not, yes did practice. As a 'new age Buddhist' trainee, my most noticeable effort was the effect of a serious bout of mantra recitation . . . However I am trying to be less goal dependent and ultra spiritual . . .
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/22095/how-to-be-ultra-spiritual

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited March 2015

@lobster said:
    However I am trying to be less goal dependent and ultra spiritual . . .

So @lobster, does this mean that you're not practicing to 'become' enlightened (less goal dependent) but focusing more on letting enlightenment be the natural expression of your practice (ultra spiritual)?

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin

Can the echos of yesterdays mentality
    offer more than this moment of grace now?

Shoshin

@how said:
    Shoshin

Can the echos of yesterdays mentality
    offer more than this moment of grace now?

No...but for those new to the mindfulness 'experience', reviewing past actions with improvement in mind can serve a beneficial purpose....

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2015

@Shoshin

Agreed
    as
    I also think a review is actually the most helpful and understandable when encouraged to unfold as a real time experiment over something theoretical.

Shoshin
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran
    edited March 2015

Yes, it was a mindful week. I had many opportunities to practice compassion out in the world and I was able to take advantage of some of them. I kept most of the five precepts most of the time. And I am grateful for the gift of a new week to practice, practice, practice...

ShoshinBuddhadragon
  • I'm starting to enjoy the ride on the Skillful Karma Train, and without losing sight of dukkha that's always there as a reminder.

ShoshinKundo
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Now that my aches and pains have faded well enough for me to become more active today, I chose to clean the floor of my little walk-in closet - except for moving stuff about, the only incident was (literally and truly) a big dust bunny jumped out after I'd almost finished vacuuming. My heart was strong, though and I survived the ambush.
    I also vacuumed the living room and around my computer desk.

lobsterShoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I will be meditating today for the first time in about 6 weeks, just a short sit to ease myself back in. I need to get some time in because we'll probably be restarting the local Buddhist group and I'll be leading meditations again!

Kundo

@SpinyNorman said:
    I will be meditating today for the first time in about 6 weeks, just a short sit to ease myself back in. I need to get some time in because we'll probably be restarting the local Buddhist group and I'll be leading meditations again!

It will be like you have never been away from the cushion.....

Just like riding a bike! I'll just build up the time gradually, I'm not going to give myself a hard time. I think 6 weeks is the longest I've ever gone without meditating, but then I figure after 35 years I should get some time off for good behaviour, like they do in the penal system!

• ^^^ Meditational parole?

Well so far I notice a less prickly hedgehog off the meditation and under duress . . . be interesting what happens next . . . B)

• @silver said:
    Now that my aches and pains have faded well enough for me to become more active today, I chose to clean the floor of my little walk-in closet - except for moving stuff about, the only incident was (literally and truly) a big dust bunny jumped out after I'd almost finished vacuuming. My heart was strong, though and I survived the ambush.
    I also vacuumed the living room and around my computer desk.

Bravo.

To also answer @Shoshin . . .

I do not differentiate between practice, life and awakening. In other words my behavour that is classed as 'Buddhist' is not special compared to chopping dust, wood or carrying burdens, water etc.
    My most important 'practice' is listening and watching, being attentive one might say. Everyone is on the path, has potential and is open to guidance, awareness, finding peace and awakening.

Realization? Nothing special.

Shoshin

@lobster said:So far I notice a less prickly hedgehog off the meditation and under duress . . . be interesting what happens next . . . B)

Please don't give me an excuse not to start meditating again! Actually you're right, something did shift a while back. Maybe all that practice finally had an effect, about bleedin' time too!

Shoshinlobster
    edited March 2015

@lobster said:My most important 'practice' is listening and watching, being attentive one might say.

Yes. I think TNH said something similar in "The miracle of mindfulness". An openess to experience, looking carefully.

I'm reminded of that William Blake verse:
    To see a world in a grain of sand,
    And a heaven in a wild flower,
    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
    And eternity in an hour.

silverShoshinlobster
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    Please don't give me an excuse not to start meditating again!

<3
    I will be very interested in how this goes . . . you might even finish your Ngöndro and get the Quackery or similar empowerment . . . whatever next . . . B)