Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

R A I N

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I have found this acronym quite useful recently when any painful feelings arise.

Step 1 is to stop and Recognise the feeling. Oh yes, this is anger. Pay attention!

Step 2 is to Accept it. I am a human being. This is a human emotion. I will be open to it.

Step 3 is to Investigate. How does this feel in your body? Is it tightness in the chest? Pain in the throat? Continue to investigate it until it has passed.

Final step is to Not identify. There's no need to identify a "me" in this. It was just a passing mental and emotional event.

EarthninjakarastiStraight_ManhowHamsakaShoshinlobsterthegoldeneternityzenguitarTalissyrphusVastmind

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I like that a lot.......I think I'll make a little card I can keep close by (or 2 or 3) with a quick n easy explanation. That's great. ;)

BunksEarthninja
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I think I did that in the car today. I had a bit of a meltdown on the way to Officeworks over impending bills vs lack of money and by the time I got to the car park there I was wiping away tears. I looked at myself in the mirror and said out loud "Well there's f**k all I can do about it so they just have to wait". Once I took the onus off "me" I could go inside in a fairly calm state (it also helped I was not using my credit card to buy stock for work).

_ /\ _

Bunks
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited March 2015

This is what I came up with:

When painful feelings arise,
    Recognize (identify) the feeling: attention.
    Accept and be open to my human feelings.
    Investigate. Look for accompanying sensations.
    Not identify with it…this too shall pass.

[I bolded the R-A-I-N but it doesn't show up here.]

(Heh heh heh...it does when a Mod intervenes... ;) )

BunksRowan1980
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Bunks said: RAIN

Yes, I first came across this some years ago, it's a useful approach. The 4th one is easier said than done though!
    Do you use it, and if so do you work specifically through the stages or just have it in the background?

• . . . first the reign of King Mind . . . then the dance

. . . and now back to the sunshine, rain, rainbows, pot of gold, dukkha, karma, have a nice day etc . . .

thegoldeneternityRowan1980
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:

The first I heard of this was from a book by Tara Brach (she's a psychotherapist and meditation teacher on the east coast). RAIN was kind of a revelation to me, that I could take a very painful or uncomfortable 'feeling' and examine it, make sense of it and diminish the pain.

Some things, when I first tried it, were 'too big' and so I wrote it out. After that the process is more familiar and it can be more 'background'.

Doing R A I is the 'easy' part . . . like everyone else, it's the N that still boggles sometimes.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I find that the best way to NOT identify with an emotion, is to give it an Identity of its own.... Rather like TNH does....

"Hello 'Anger', my you are a feisty one... tell me, what are you doing here today?
    Why have you decided to call by?"

Or -

"Good morning, 'Sadness'...I'm sorry you feel this way...tell me, what prompts your presence?"

It's a helpful way to put a little 'distance' between 'me' and 'non-me'....

BunksHamsaka
    edited March 2015

@Hamsaka said:> Doing R A I is the 'easy' part . . . like everyone else, it's the N that still boggles sometimes.

Yes, indeed. I haven't found this to be something I can think through, it's practising and developing a more spacious mind so these things don't feel so big and overwhelming. Putting more space around them sort of.

Hamsaka

@federica said:> It's a helpful way to put a little 'distance' between 'me' and 'non-me'....

Yes. I've found that how I label things can be quite significant, eg just "anxiety", rather than "my anxiety" or "I'm feeling anxious" or whatever.

Bunks

@silver said:
    This is what I came up with:

When painful feelings arise,
    Recognize (identify) the feeling: attention.
    Accept and be open to my human feelings.
    Investigate. Look for accompanying sensations.
    Not identify with it…this too shall pass.

[I bolded the R-A-I-N but it doesn't show up here.]

(Heh heh heh...it does when a Mod intervenes... ;) )

Hey well, at least I can quote myself! Thanks, o mighty mod. =)

I was using my 'RAIN' card a short bit ago and saw fit to change the 'N' to Not identify with it and release it....because I got a bit misty when I remembered that my grandmother especially, would say that rather often, and I think the new phrase isn't attached to something I may tend to get emotional over - but it's all part of the practice, I guess. I like the idea of releasing - as opposed to 'get over it' or something like that. I think of releasing birds from a cage....visuals are important.
    <3

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Glad you're getting something out of it @silver.

I have used it over the last few days with anger, frustration, lust and pride (yes, pride). I had my ego boosted at work yesterday and was feeling pretty darn good about myself until I remembered RAIN!

• I find that in my deepest darkest sorrows is when the most letting go takes place. Mellow as can be far from movement no bodily pain found that can hurt. If I stream it comes out as tears, if I am angry it comes out as tears. As if no longer hundred by the bodies needs or the thought of constant amusement. For I am sad and the hungry world cannot change that. Somehow someway it is this frustrated emotional state that allows a free of delusion day and gives hope for tomorrow

Bunks
  • Please pardon the spelling. Its very unfortunate but I carry a lot of wrath and have down graded myself to a tablet which isn't user friendly.

• @Bunks said:
    I have found this acronym quite useful recently when any painful feelings arise.

Step 1 is to stop and Recognise the feeling. Oh yes, this is anger. Pay attention!

Step 2 is to Accept it. I am a human being. This is a human emotion. I will be open to it.

Step 3 is to Investigate. How does this feel in your body? Is it tightness in the chest? Pain in the throat? Continue to investigate it until it has passed.

Final step is to Not identify. There's no need to identify a "me" in this. It was just a passing mental and emotional event.

Outstanding policy.

In particular ref to step three. It is much easier to deal with 'butterflies in the stomach', 'pain in the neck', 'weak in the knees', 'tight in the chest' etc.

This is where the return to the calm breath, visualisation and practice comes in . . .

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I also find the R and the A quite useful during placement (e.g. breath) meditation.

RECOGNISE that the mind has wandered.

ACCEPT it without judgement and come back to the placement object.

lobster

Good point, it applies to meditation too.

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks ...

A time must come when It never rains but it POURS

Persistent Observation Ultimately Revoke Samsara

Persistent= Keep chipping away at the illusion
    By continuous =Observation
    Will =Ultimately
    Revoke= Negates
    The cycle of birth & death =Samsara

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

How about UMBRELLA? RAINCOAT? PUDDLE?

I eagerly await the acronyms to learn and apply! :D