Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Analogies

DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
edited March 2015 in General Banter

I don't really know why I started this thread but I just thought of an analogy and thought we could use a thread for random analogies.

You may beg to differ.

The self is like a black hole.

Nobody has seen one directly but they affect everything around them.

ShoshinHamsaka

Comments

• philosophy is like a pot to pot a plant. You can change the living heart of the plant into a bigger pot. But the pot is nothing without that heart. The mind/heart is the plant and the philosophy is the pot. various pots are different in appearance.

DavidRodrigoHamsaka
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

The mind is like a cathedral filled with petty parishioners.

ShoshinDavidlobsterHamsaka
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran
    edited March 2015

It was like there was a small sun in my chest radiating happiness and joy.

lobsterDavidHamsaka
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The Buddha's teachings/Suttas are full of analogies. They're an excellent way to impart teachings in ways that are easily comprehensible...

Simpsapa Sutta
    Sona Sutta
    The twin arrows
    The lighthouse
    The monk carrying the woman across the stream
    The raft
    The samurai Heaven/hell
    The nails in the fence

to name but a few analogical teachings....

EarthninjaDavidlobsterHamsaka
  • I love some of the Vajrayana anologies/symbols.

So enlightenment is YAB-YUM

. . . the merging of wisdom and compassion.

JamieGDavidbookwormBuddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

That is the most amazingly extraordinary picture, @lobster. I find it breathtakingly beautiful.... Thanks for sharing. :)

• ^^^ It took me long time to find it. Most of the YAB-YUM pictures are of a smaller female with a larger male in sexual congress. I did once come across a large Tara with a smaller male consort. Not appropriate.

The magical hermaphrodite image is far more balanced and I would suggest less gender biased and might be one of the ways a Western Tantra is eventually increasingly depicted.

Personally I respond well to visual imagery. I would suggest that finding this internal yin/yang balance is part of the process of the Middle Way. Even though Yin/Yang is not specifically a Buddhist dharma . . . I feel it has tremendous value . . . :)

• "Just as when boys or girls are playing with little sand castles:[4] as long as they are not free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for those little sand castles, that's how long they have fun with those sand castles, enjoy them, treasure them, feel possessive of them. But when they become free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for those little sand castles, then they smash them, scatter them, demolish them with their hands or feet and make them unfit for play."

Satta Sutta

DavidTelly03Jeffrey
  • In vajrayana male is compassion and female is wisdom.

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

"Deva-king, do you recall ever having previously experienced such happiness & joy?"

"Yes, lord, I do."

"And how do you recall ever having previously experienced such happiness & joy?"

"Once, lord, the devas & asuras were arrayed in battle. And in that battle the devas won, while the asuras lost. Having won the battle, as the victor in the battle, this thought occurred to me: 'Whatever has been the divine nourishment of the asuras, whatever has been the divine nourishment of the devas, the devas will now enjoy both of them.' But my attainment of happiness & joy was in the sphere of violence & weapons. It didn't lead to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to direct knowledge to self-awakening, to Unbinding. But my attainment of happiness & joy on hearing the Blessed One's Dhamma is in the sphere of no violence, the sphere of no weapons. It leads to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to direct knowledge to self-awakening, to Unbinding."

Digha Nikaya 21, Sakka-pañha Sutta
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.21.2x.than.html

• @ourself said:
    I don't really know why I started this thread but I just thought of an analogy and thought we could use a thread for random analogies.

You may beg to differ.

We are beggars.

We come to the dharma full. We steal, we beg, we take more. Eventually we end up with Nothing. Then we stand on the corner with an empty bowl.

We are beggars.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2015

I don't think so @lobster... I just don't get what you are saying. For me there is mindfulness of feeling and breathing every day again and again. also teachings..

• the teaching for me is 'getting off on the right foot' with Buddhas on the tip of your nose.

then giving such as filling water bowls.

forgot the other five sorry :p but seriously there is endless material to study. How do you feel? Maybe I can help or commiserate?

• @Jeffrey said:
    I don't think so lobster... I just don't get what you are saying. For me there is mindfulness of feeling and breathing every day again and again. also teachings..

Ah someone who has been enriched. ;) Great now you have offerings to give away, so then your bowl is full?

and now back to the alms race . . .

:)

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2015

I have been enriched yes. My bowl is ok. I have the second bottle of wine between 2 to be honest. Nothing magic. Just wondered why anything was 'bad'. Good question what my offering is?? Murky. I have no idea what steotypical thinking... seriously I am assuming you are making an effort to practice and wonder what is normal.

My offering is to just do your best. good lord. meditate and be well =)

lobsterbookworm