Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

insight Timer App

2»

Comments

• @Tosh said:

Sod enlightenment, stars are VERY important.

LOL
    Indeed. Use that pesky mind attachment impediment as a skilful means. Well done. B)

• TalisTalis Explorer

Ooo, I must give this one a go :) I use the free Plum Village one at the mo, set to every 1/2Hr must say it helps keep me on track ;)http://plumvillage.org/mindfulness-practice/mindfulness-software/

Nichy
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Talis, if you send me your email via PM, I will "invite" you to the newbuddhist group.... :)

• @federica said:

always read but not logged in, for years...

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Why does one need a reminder to meditate every half hour? :naughty:

• @anatman do you meditate every half hour?

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

no, I meditate when I am awake...

how
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Tosh said:
    I was really tired last night, but I didn't want to break my run of consecutive days meditation and I'm after my first purple star, so I stuck it out and meditated.

It was the first time I ever really fell asleep while meditating, but I don't care, the timer logged my meditation statistic and I'm still on a run of days (in the thirties).

Sod enlightenment, stars are VERY important.

Cheater! =)

One night before going to sleep after a tiring day, I realized I had totally forgotten to meditate.

I sat down on the bathroom floor but was so tired I kept nodding my head left and right, till I almost knocked my head against the bathtub.
    What we won't do to keep our star record clean! o:)

lobsterToshNichyMigyur
  • @anataman said:
    no, I meditate when I am awake...

Still talking in your sleep my friend? :p [gosh such presumption from that cructacean - more points deducted]

• TalisTalis Explorer

@federica said:
    Talis, if you send me your email via PM, I will "invite" you to the newbuddhist group.... :)

Thank you federica, but I've had a look & I don't have the required device for it :/

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You can participate online....

https://insighttimer.com/user_session/new

lobsterMigyur

Fede, pleeeaassee!!!
    When will you chime in??
    @lobster is totally unbound on the app.
    Actually, me too, since we're so much on the move in Buenos Aires that it's easier for me to log in to the app than it is to log in to the site here.

I chimed in last night.... But the app was playing up on my phone, interfering with other things, so I had to uninstall, and re-install.
    It now tells me I can't use certain facilities until I've been on for 5 consecutive days....

• I am thinking of not doing an insight timed meditation today. Already done one without the hassle of setting a set time. That will mean I will not get my third star. Excellent, a perfect example of 'killing the Buddha'.

. . . however in a moment of weakness the allure of that meaningless star might pull me in . . .

You know what - I just like sitting for its own sake . . . m m m . . . seems too self contained, might even be suggesting progress.

I have confused myself. Must be star time . . . B)

Jeffrey
  • For @DhammaDragon and Aunty Fed, please note my new pirate avatar and I think the dragon at the bottom of the cross might one of our fiesty ex-communicates? Took the pic last week whilst visiting a Catholic Dharma Centre (or Church) Uncle Jo on the right ...

OM ARRR HUM

Buddhadragon

So, big news is, I keep piling up friends on the app, a German man is harassing me, and nobody shows up on our newly created New Buddhist group, except for @lobster, @Nichy, @Jeffrey and me.
    Where is everyone else, please???

• Got my three stars and uninstalled the app. Too many harassed individuals . . . need a starless break and untimed insight ...

No, @lobster, it's a fantastic app, please...
    You keep breaking my heart... <3

lobster

It won't let me post messages even though I've been using it for over a week now.... :(

• Just noticed Jesus has got a serious six pack ... well he is the son of God ...

OK gonna reinstall the app but only to harass Germans . . . >:)

Buddhadragon

In the Thich Nhat Hanh group today on Insight Timer app, there is this woman who has the strangest questions on Buddhism always, who processes teachings in the strangest fashion, and who is pretty disenchanted now that she has undertaken the reading of the Pali Cannon.

She mentions something like the Buddha suggesting dropping affection...
    She has this attitude of walking away on a huff when the answers don't please her or when people's comments don't match her viewpoints.

And she gets offended if people volunteer advice of any kind...
    there's something weird about her approach to Buddhism but I can't quite pinpoint what...

@lobster, one of your koans would be pretty welcome ;)

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2015

OK I will join the TNT, TNH forum - never can remember even his initials . . .
    Oh dear . . . koan creation . . . whatever next . . . B)

I did 63 minutes meditation with the app this morning. Was gonna do 3 minutes but I had an extra moment.

Eliz
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2015

@DhammaDragon said:
    there's something weird about her approach to Buddhism but I can't quite pinpoint what...

No need to pin point. Her approach is fine, just offers a different perspective. Now left the group, no need for two or more weirdos on that forum ...

This is why I just go into the app., do my meditation, and then leave. I don't want to get drawn into crap, issues, weirdness and discussions which leave me feeling peculiar.

(I get enough of all of that on here! (J/K!!)

But seriously - when the app is called insight, why increase the density of the veil in front of the eyes....?

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

I might consider using the app.

• @federica said:
    This is why I just go into the app., do my meditation, and then leave.

Skilful.
    Some may need the positive affirmations that some groups provide. Or a questioner, or an insight. We have different requirements.

@bookworm said:
    I might consider using the app.

Try it. Report how you get on. <3

@lobster said:
    Some may need the positive affirmations that some groups provide.

No, it's not just that.
    People like to communicate. I did not intend to use the social app, but all of a sudden I got engaged by some of the stories.... and 104 days later I find myself interacting with 112 friends, some of who are nice, and love to exchange stories... plus a German shepherd who loves to woo me in Goethe's language...
    Why not?

edited April 2015

But the woman I referred to above, has today announced that she will be taking leave from the social app because she feels she has been misunderstood, misjudged and blah blah blah.
    I wonder how long she would survive here among us NB naughty lot, considering people in the app are extremely mindful of their manners and words...