Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mental Hoarding

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

In another thread (BTW thanks @how for the thread starter)

@how said:
Can anyone here speak of hoarding in the world without noticing how all of our own egos simply do internally what worldly hoarders do externally.

Does he make a good point ?

Are we all just a bunch of pack rats/mental hoarders ? (With garbage in, not much going out)

Comments

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    @Shoshin I love listening to Sadhguru.

I heard Eckhart Tolle today say that our minds are a continuous cycling of thoughts. 98% is the same junk over and over.
    He said that by staying AS awareness we don't touch thoughts.
    This junk then works itself out(karma)
    When moving as awareness we won't generate any future suffering for ourselves or other.

So stay mindful! Remain AS awareness not in awareness. :)

Metta
    ShoshinBunksKundolobster
  • PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited March 2015

Both external and mental hoarding are a question of lifecontrol. If you are ok with yourself and your life, you don't collect garbage into your mind - like hate and envy. And you don't throw garbage - like arrogance and egocentricity.

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Earthninja said:
    Shoshin I love listening to Sadhguru.

I heard Eckhart Tolle today say that our minds are a continuous cycling of thoughts. 98% is the same junk over and over.
    He said that by staying AS awareness we don't touch thoughts.
    This junk then works itself out(karma)
    When moving as awareness we won't generate any future suffering for ourselves or other.

So stay mindful! Remain AS awareness not in awareness.

Metta

They are good points @Earthninja that both ET & Sadhguru are making...

I enjoy listening to both ET & Sadhguru...For it to really make sense it has to be put into practice "More action less reaction" (ruminating)

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

If there were a 12-step meeting for Mental Hoarders, I should definitely be there, with bells on! I have been doing it for so long, I'm amazed at how swiftly practicing mindfulness and studying about Buddhism has helped to pull me out of that rut...and what a huge rut it is. Rome wasn't built in a day, but being in the here and now most definitely seems to expedite things. <3

Shoshinlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Interesting article/blog I came across...

Confession of a Mental Hoarder

http://www.successfreaks.com/confession-of-a-mental-hoarder/

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited March 2015

I understood perhaps around 80 % (or less...) of that web link because of my lousy knowledge of English.

That blog guy may have collected quite a good number of mirrors, and many of them are distorting. It's better to keep things simple and not to stare mirrors too much -> less existential anxiety.