Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mindfulness and depression

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Seems like this general topic comes up occasionally here on the forum. The article is to short to be of great help, although it does make a point. Too bad the author didn't expand on it more:

http://inhealth.cnn.com/finding-the-best-depression-treatment/pull-yourself-out-of-depression?did=t1_rss5

Article suggests link between mindfulness and fighting depression...at least for the less severe cases.

Shoshin

Comments

• adeleadele Blackpool Rocks! Explorer

I was taught mindfulness for depression by a psychologist and he bought in studies to show us that it does change the brain and has measurable physical changes. He is very clinical and not into anything alternative but mindfulness seems to have become a bit of a 'mantra' - practice practice practice - as a way of helping depression. Even severe depression can be helped - though not cured - by using it alongside other treatments.

ShoshinEarthninjaHamsaka
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    I've found it to be quite beneficial with my depression and anxiety when used in conjunction with standard treatments for both. In particular, I found it exceedingly helpful when I was pulling a full course load AND making up work from the prior semester due to mental health garbage in college.
    lobsterShoshinHamsaka
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited March 2015

An interesting thing about depression, neuroscientist have found there's a part of the brain that shrinks ( the hippocampus) in those who suffer with long term depressive episodes ...

It's also interesting that the term depress can mean "reduce" and the "shrinking" hippocampus .....

http://sciencenordic.com/depression-can-damage-brain

Hamsaka