Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Demonic Possession in Buddhism

Hello everybody, I just wanted to ask something maybe irrelevant in buddhism, but I came from a culture (east asia) who believes in demons and possessions - I need an answer about how buddhism deals with the idea of demonic possession.

I am just new to the practice, just last year and the tradition that I'm following doesn't mention much of it, or maybe I am not searching well) . If there is really a such thing, is there is a mantra,prayer that buddhist recites to protect oneself?

Here is what I know at this moment.

-That everything that is happening is a result of "cause and effect" and whatever will manifest in the future is a result of what we thought at the present moment.

-That the mind is capable of putting ourselves on that path of enlightenment as well as suffering. That is it in our shoulder that depends our own future.

-That practicing or following the lay buddhist five precepts is "almost/enough" to have live in a present moment to have a clear thought. And therefore not to worry about what lies ahead.

-In my limited understanding, what I thought of possession or whatever they called it. Is a result of "preconditioned" mind from the past- (this life or previous) That gives way the power to manifest here at the present moment (as if all conditions are meet)

Having those inner beliefs is it fair to say that there is no such thing? And that the power or energy that is manifesting in demonic possession, takeover or whatever they called it is a result of our own feeding? Right now I can't accept the concept of "take over/possessions" What I mean is how could there be a possession if there is no self or soul.

Comments

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Yes, it is fair to say there is no such thing as demon possession :) Very fair.

Whatever 'power' or 'energy' that is manifesting is as easily attributed to natural causes, like being VERY angry or VERY defensive or some other very strong human emotion.

Demon possession was part of western culture, something 'everyone' more or less acknowledged, up until scientists started finding neurologic or biologic explanations for the behavior of people who used to be thought to be possessed. They call them 'mental' illnesses now, or seizure disorders (like epilepsy).

There are still some sects of Christians that practice demon exorcism, so it's not gone entirely. But I suspect both eastern and western civilizations had similar beliefs in demonic possession, one as much as the other, but in accordance with whatever prevailing belief system.

Demonic possession is an understandable explanation for a lot of human behavior in the absence of a more educated or medically researched explanation.

As moderns, we can let these old superstitions go because we can explain them in more accurate ways, as something going wrong with the brain or the body.

And if your family/culture was very steeped in this belief, it may be hard to shake it off. Fortunately Buddhism doesn't acknowledge possession and you will be perfectly safe by letting go of the idea for yourself :)

lobstermockeymind
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited March 2015

"Demonic Possession in Buddhism"

Mara http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mara_(demon)

• My sidenote... The temptation of Christ and the temptation of Buddha are quite similar stories for me. Anyways, many stories in the Bible are extremely old or they even have an universal origin.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Mara is simply a manifestation of all our Samsaric attachments.
    If you want to call them demons, that's fair... we often talk about people with issues having to face their demons.

Bear in mind also, the Vatican has an Official Exorcist.

The catholic Church believes strongly in the existence and possibility of demonic possession, but when you look at the rest of what the Catholic Church says and does, it's hardly surprising they subscribe to yet another fantasy or means of control....

Bunks
  • I knew some exorcists. I have seen their banishing ritual and it scared the devil out of me. :) They were not from the Buddhist tradition.

There are a variety of reasons why others or people themselves feel they are possesed. My sister thought she was a vampire, mental illness and emotional difficulties can be harrowing.

Personally I feel people like prophets who think they have to sacrifice their son for appeasement are unwell. I have known people who are able to cope with seeing or hearing things and they are not possessed. Maybe I am attending the wrong picnics?

To answer your question about protection in Buddhism:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nīlakaṇṭha_Dhāraṇī

Personally I dance and picnic with demons, which are merely figments or arisings of the mind:

Under the masks are fearful, superstitious, deluded and fun loving demons/people . . .

Take your partners and wheel to the left . . .

Kundo
  • Again, its Egotism - The Buddha says the violence in this world is a result from the violence of the mind. The more and more we get rid of the "self" the more liberation we could achieve.

It is no more surprising to me that buddhist always looked inward to deal with anomalies of this world.

lobsterEarthninjarohit
  • @federica said:
    Mara is simply a manifestation of all our Samsaric attachments.
    If you want to call them demons, that's fair... we often talk about people with issues having to face their demons.

That sounds reasonable. And there's a similar interpretation for the temptations of Christ, although the Catholics may be more literal in their views...

There is something very primal in the belief in demons and devils. During his last days a close person for me thought he was hounded by devils.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    The closest thing I can see in terms of demonic possession is when negative thoughts and/or emotions take on a life of their own.

We all have our demons to face and anything other than facing them head on feeds their strength.
    lobster
  • I can't answer that. there are some stories about demons. for example I think milarepa talks to a 'rock demon' in one story and teaches the demon the dharma.

• We may give names and concepts for feelings that are abstract, so they are easier to comprehend in our minds. For instance, love can be... light. And an extreme agony and fear can be a demon.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@mockeymind

It is not my place to state what exists and what doesn't but.....
    we are already pretty much possessed by our own conditioned ignorance.
    In comparison to this contest, demons need only be counted as petty irritations.

lobsterShoshinmockeymind
  • dantepwdantepw Veteran
    edited March 2015
    This is the only story within buddhism about demoniac possession that I know! Check the source for more info! :)

The Exorcist
    This story is from Ajahn Brahm about his teacher Ajahn Chah, who was one of the most respected forest monks in Thailand. One day the village headman hurried to see Ajahn Chah in his hut. He said that the villages were bringing a woman who had become possessed by evil spirits the previous evening. She was going crazy and the villagers could do nothing for her. As he spoke, a loud screaming could be heard as the woman was being dragged through the forest hermitage screaming obscenities. As the group approached the Ajahn’s hut, he told his novices to quickly start boiling lots of water, and to start digging a big hole. Neither the villages nor the monks knew what he was planning, but he told them to dig faster and get more boiling water. The villages were restraining the screaming woman who was now foaming at the mouth and spitting. Above her noise, Ajahn Chah shouted, “Is that hole finished yet? Hurry, bring the boiling water. The only solution is to throw her in the hole, pour the boiling water on her and bury her. It is the only way to remove these evil spirits”
    The villages were perplexed, but no one was going to disobey the great teacher in his own monastery; so they started to carry her towards the hole. She immediately grew calm and stopped screaming and struggling. Within seconds, she was peacefully kneeling before the Ajahn receiving his blessing, and within minutes, she was led home by the villagers, no worse for her experience.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1649750-two-free-buddhist-stories
    EarthninjalobsterRowan1980boobysattva
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

And speaking of demonic possession ....

Forced exorcism petrifies school kids

Yes, the source and presentation are a bit thin, but still....

• Above her noise, Ajahn Chah shouted, “Is that hole finished yet? Hurry, bring the boiling water. The only solution is to throw her in the hole, pour the boiling water on her and bury her. It is the only way to remove these evil spirits”

Smart! <3

Don't try this at home boys and gals. Context and wisdom required.

Earthninja
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2015

Buddhism teaches to use one's mind to overcome difficulties. Demon possession is not part of the teachings. However, Tibetan Buddhism has rituals for exorcism, I'm pretty sure. So it depends on the "brand" of Buddhism you choose, OP. My guess is you'd find TB the best fit for you.

My observation is that the mind can't overcome everything. Severe trauma and PTSD can't be overcome with Buddhist psychology or discipline. The ancient Taoists had special acupuncture techniques for exorcism, that resolved PTSD. These techniques are still practiced with great effect on war veterans and others debilitated by shock and trauma. I think it's important to acknowledge these states and to treat them, like any other illness. I don't know if the TB rituals work in that regard. But if they did, I wouldn't begrudge a Buddhist practitioner the treatment just because Buddhist teachings say you should be able to overcome your negative mental states by your own efforts. In extreme cases that simply isn't realistic.

mockeymindRowan1980
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

This is what should be done
    By one who is skilled in goodness,
    And who knows the path of peace:

Let them be able and upright,
    Straightforward and gentle in speech,
    Humble and not conceited,
    Contented and easily satisfied,
    Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways.

Peaceful and calm and wise and skillful,
    Not proud or demanding in nature.
    Let them not do the slightest thing
    That the wise would later reprove.

Wishing: In gladness and in safety,
    May all beings be at ease.
    Whatever living beings there may be;
    Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none,
    The great or the mighty, medium, short or small,
    The seen and the unseen,
    Those living near and far away,
    Those born and to-be-born — May all beings be at ease!

Let none deceive another,
    Or despise any being in any state.
    Let none through anger or ill-will
    Wish harm upon another.
    Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings;
    Radiating kindness over the entire world:
    Spreading upwards to the skies,
    And downwards to the depths;
    Outwards and unbounded,
    Freed from hatred and ill-will.
    Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down
    Free from drowsiness,
    One should sustain this recollection.

This is said to be the sublime abiding.
    By not holding to fixed views,
    The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision,
    Being freed from all sense desires,
    Is not born again into this world.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/khp/khp.9.amar.html

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:> Above her noise, Ajahn Chah shouted, “Is that hole finished yet? Hurry, bring the boiling water. The only solution is to throw her in the hole, pour the boiling water on her and bury her. It is the only way to remove these evil spirits”

Lobsters should fear boiling water too. ;)

lobsterRowan1980Jeroen