Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Blessings -

There is one time I saw a racoon being hit by a car and died on the spot. I can't help myself not to think of compassion to the animal, thinking that I may too will pass through this life. As buddhist do we have a blessing perhaps, or prayer/mantra for those unfortunate animals?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

May you be re-born in an auspicious life, may you be happy, may you be free from suffering.

mockeymindElizJeffrey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Mine's easier to memorise...! But it's a nice Mantra. Seems to have a 'flow' to it.

Any chance of a translation, or interpretation, at all, @lobster? :)

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I usually just say what I want to say at the moment. Something along the lines of "I'm so sorry. Thank you for adding wonder to the world while you were here. I wish you a good rebirth. Be free." We live in a wilderness/forest area so unfortunately it is a common occurrence.

silvermockeymind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2015

@federica said:
    Any chance of a translation, or interpretation, at all, lobster? :)

Don't use it. Just did a simple search in google.
    The last roadkill I saw was a badger. What can you say? :(

If I do feel moved to mantra I tend to use OM MANI PEME HUM
    which is a general purpose always good mantra.

If people/family are in need of a prayer, then I ask if they would like a Buddhist mantra, then I have several I use which I have learned:

Migtsema being the last one:

MIG MEY TZE WAY TER CHEN CHENREZIG
    DRI MEY KHYEN PI WANG PO JAMPAL YANG
    DU PUNG MA LU JOM DZEY SANG WEY DAG
    GANG CHENG KE PEY TSUG GYEN TSONGKHAPA
    LO SANG TRAG PEY SHAB LA SOL WA DEB

Objectless compassion, Chenrezig,
    Lord of stainless wisdom, Manjushri,
    Conquering mara’s horders, Vajrapani,
    Crown jewel of the Sages of the Land of Snows, Tsongkhapa,
    Losang Drakpa, at your feet, I pray.

more examples:
    https://greatmiddleway.wordpress.com/2012/07/13/mantrayana-the-vehicle-of-mantra/

The important thing is power and intent. No wimpy mumbling.
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/post/57234975984/buddhist-mantra-faqs

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

As buddhist do we have a blessing perhaps, or prayer/mantra for those unfortunate animals?

When I see road kill, I give a few
    "Om Mani Padme Hung" - "The Jewel is in the Lotus"=What we seeks, we are...

I like to think by doing so it helps to settle the bundles of vibrating energies that are gradually dispersing as the form beginngs to decay -going back to whence it came...

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2015

@mockeymind

I try to accept a dead animal's ending with a gassho or bow, (which represents my attempts at harmonizing body and mind) while offering up the three refuges.

Of course I can't tell you how many strips of truck tire along the freeway I have started blessing because they first looked like carrion. I guess as a petroleum derivative those were dinosaur blessings.

For Buddhists, I'm partial to the Prajna Paramiti for how it represents to me what is more important than our dreams of comings and goings.

Shoshin