Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

George Carlin on euphemisms

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

It may be old, but I saw it for the first time today and thought it might help to brighten your day as well...

VastmindJeffreyhowHamsakathegoldeneternitymockeymind

Comments

• for me trauma and stress sound like pain.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2015

Always the master illumination of what F wits we be.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

awesome!

:awesome:

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Lots of circumlocutions in there with the euphemisms, too. I remember the California Highway Dept some years ago referred to roads as "transportation corridors."

The circumlocution that I find most objectionable is the one most U.S. airlines use when asking where you're headed to. When they ask me what my "final destination" is I sometimes tell them that only God knows that. I cannot quite figure out what was wrong with just the simple word "destination."

silver
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

^^^^
    Yes... sort of like the "final result."

... and an "operation" that has somehow morphed into a medical "procedure."

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited April 2015

@Nirvana .... FWIW .....there are so many connecting flights now that you can have 3 destinations before your final destination. Employees (airline) usually need to know where your trying to end up....for a number of reasons. Especially if flying stand by...or trying to re connect after a cancellation. And if your using on the sister commuter lines, it can really cause confusion.

2 weeks ago, my hubby left Ghana....had to go straight to JFK, then Atlanta, then to Memphis.
    No straight flights.