Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I think Buddhism is very fragile religion to be 'religion of state'

rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

In India during several invasion only Hindus and some Jains left. Other got converted to Islam or Christianity.
Dalai lama had to flew away from tibet and large portion of demography and people are now facing slavery.

Comments

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited April 2015

Bhutan is a country of the Tibetan Buddhism. Maybe not the best place to live for people with another belief.

rohit
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I think it's a good thing that Buddhism can be looked at as either a formal (or informal) religion, or a choice of perspective.

rohit
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited April 2015

Dalai lama had to flew away from tibet and large portion of demography and people are now facing slavery.

After the Dalai Lama fled Tibet, western media became susceptible to supporting his point of view: The Chinese were, roughly speaking, depicted as the autocrats and the bad guys and the peace-loving Buddhists were getting the rough end of the stick.

Of all the news stories I ever read about Tibet and its Chinese "invaders," one stood out to me because the Los Angeles Times actually sent a reporter to Tibet to ask people who lived there how things had changed since the Chinese asserted their will. Other media tended to rely on press releases, protests, etc.

And it was in that LATimes story that one farmer's comment stood out for me. When asked how things had changed since the Chinese came in, he said, "Well, at least we're not slaves any more." There was no further probing of what he meant and to what extent it might be true -- and if so, in what way had he previously felt himself enslaved -- but the comment hung in the air for me -- an interesting contrast to the "Free Tibet" bumper stickers.

Theological or not, governments are not in business for religion except to the extent those religions/spiritual leanings can keep the peace as governments define it. Is that really peace? I doubt it.

Just a little noodling.

rohitlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2015

The 'Karmic right' of Bodhi Lamas is little different from the Divine right of Queens
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_right_of_kings

God save the Queen. We mean it mam!
    HH Johnny Rotten [oops went a little punk for a moment] :3

Can you imagine a modern government were one of the advisors was a possessed medium (or Tibetan State Oracle)? [yikes]

Unfortunately the Natural Law Party
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Law_Party
    are not fielding a candidate in the upcoming UK elections . . . I was so looking forward to a flying MP ... (teaching yogic flying is part of their manifesto) ;)

Ah well ...

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2015

@genkaku said:
    And it was in that LATimes story that one farmer's comment stood out for me. When asked how things had changed since the Chinese came in, he said, "Well, at least we're >not slaves any more." There was no further probing of what he meant and to what >extent it might be true -- and if so, in what way had he previously felt himself enslaved -- but the comment hung in the air for me -- an interesting contrast to the "Free Tibet" >bumper stickers.

>

Theological or not, governments are not in business for religion except to the extent >those religions/spiritual leanings can keep the peace as governments define it. Is that >really peace? I doubt it.

Yes. I'd say that if you think Buddhism is too "fragile" to be a religion of state, you should go interview peasants and herders in Tibet. Short of that, you can read American journalist Hanna Louise Strong's interviews with them not long after the Chinese took over, and you can read Heinrich Harrer's observations in 7 Years In Tibet. Also, "The Struggle for Modern Tibet, the Autobiography of Tashi Tsering", by Goldstein. Buddhism was a religion of state for hundreds of years in Tibet. It was far from "fragile". Also, far from compassionate.
    http://www.amazon.com/Struggle-Modern-Tibet-Autobiography-Tsering/dp/0765605090/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1428960460&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Struggle+for+Modern+Tibet,+Tashi+Tsering

OP, did you know that the Tibetan theocracy didn't allow the wheel to be used in Tibet? Everyone around them (the Uighurs to the north, the Chinese to the east, Nepalis and India to the south) were using animal-powered wheeled vehicles/carts for transport and portage, but that wasn't allowed in Tibet. Everyone had to carry things on their backs or on pack animals, if they owned any. High-status monks and landowners used their own servants as pack animals and as riding animals; they would ride on the back of their servants when traveling, for fording deep rivers, and so forth.

I'm not sure what you mean by your statement that the Tibetan people are "now facing slavery". Could you clarify that, please?

lobster
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

@Dakini said:
    I'm not sure what you mean by your statement that the Tibetan people are "now >facing slavery". Could you clarify that, please?

They are forced to live under Chinese rule. They are forced to do family planning. Their land and resources are used for Chinese development. Tibetans have no voice for their own rights.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

So, it seems to be that a fair question is to examine Rohit's statement that what the Tibetan people are undergoing now is "slavery". While I don't approve of what is happening to them, I'm not sure that "slavery" is a correct term in this instance.

Thoughts.

• DakiniDakini Veteran

@rohit said:
    They are forced to live under Chinese rule. They are forced to do family planning. Their >land and resources are used for Chinese development. Tibetans have no voice for their >own rights.

Thank you.

Have the Chinese changed their position on the number of children minority nationalities can have? Or do they not allow above a certain number? Family planning for Tibetans is a good thing. They used to have huge families (if all the children survived), some of whom ended up being given away to monasteries/nunneries, in part because many parents couldn't afford to feed all those kids. Also, not all of the kids survived past the first year or two, as in the Dalai Lama's family. The women went through life with one pregnancy after another after another, and still had to manage the family farm, or work for the overlord. It was a hard life.

True, their land and resources are used for development. Some of that benefits Tibetans (schools, electrical stations, etc.), some of it is for housing and jobs for Chinese, it's true. Forests are being cut, and there's probably mining going on that causes environmental damage. We don't hear too much about that in the West.

"Slavery" seems like an overstatement. What concerns me are the violent clashes between Chinese and Tibetans, and the harsh treatment of Tibetans in the legal system. Also, the government hasn't built schools in the rural areas, only in the cities, from what I've been able to learn here and there on the internet. In many rural areas, the only schools are monastic, so there still isn't a modern curriculum. And there are no job opportunities for girls. Too many Tibetan girls end up working as prostitutes. Nun or sex worker are their only "career" options, if they don't pursue higher education elsewhere in China.

lobstervinlynsilver