Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation...Umm I'm In Two Minds

2»

Comments

• robotrobot Veteran

Turmoil needs to boil off.

silverShoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited June 2015

@genie said:
    There is no compulsion in Buddhism, which means meditation is just an optional activity. A person who meditates isn't guaranteed heaven (or nibbana, whatever). In fact, he is not even guaranteed peace of mind, since meditation may bring many subconscious turmoil to the surface.

You're right, lay people who call themselves Buddhists do not have to meditate (I'm under the impression those who choose the monastic path find that meditation is part & parcel of monastic life)...From what I gather most lay Buddhists I know do not meditate on a regular bases, some only on the nights we have meetings...

However it's quite possible many who attend Dharma talks, watch videos, read books on Buddhism, spend time thinking about what's been heard seen or read and how to incorporate the teachings into their everyday lives in the hope of improving their quality of life, so some form of contemplation seems to play a big part ( Some prefer contemplation over meditation-'Different strokes for different folks')...

Regarding the unwholesome experiences that might arise when meditating, well one won't know until they try. however if one has experienced some major trauma in their life which as not fully been dealt with through conventional means ie counselling, psychotherapy and the like, it would pay to look into getting some professional help first before entering into any form of meditation and perhaps it would be a lot safer for them to look for a certified instructor if they feel confident/stable enough to begin...

On a personal level I'm not practising meditating so as to gain a pass into an heaven (or an hell for that matter :) ) the practice brings to the five aggregates a sense of contentment with how things are flowing...

Just out of interest @genie have you ever meditated ? Do you meditate now ?

lobsterWalkerBuddhadragon
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Meditation brings and causes other things - but the peace and solitude that it provides/reminds you of, might be extremely helpful (ta da!)

The magic of buddhism, is simple and so profofound - lol

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited June 2015

"Cause Condition Effect" umm where does meditation fit in ?

Is what caused one to meditate the same as what caused others not to ?

Just thinking out loud :)

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Hi, @anataman! This is past water.
    I did not take your comments personally. I'd have to re-read the thread, but I think you were sensitive about someone else's views or so it seemed to me at the time.
    I repeat what I said above: I love you to bits <3

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:

Hi, anataman! This is past water.
    I did not take your comments personally. I'd have to re-read the thread, but I think you were sensitive about someone else's views or so it seemed to me at the time.
    I repeat what I said above: I love you to bits <3

<3

I like being loved into too little bits - no harm done!

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@genie said:
    There is no compulsion in Buddhism, which means meditation is just an optional activity. A person who meditates isn't guaranteed heaven (or nibbana, whatever). In fact, he is not even guaranteed peace of mind, since meditation may bring many subconscious turmoil to the surface.

"The practice of mindfulness (smrti in Sanskrit) leads to concentration (samadhi), which in turn leads to insight (prajña). The insight we gain from mindfulness meditation can liberate us from fear, anxiety, and anger, allowing us to be truly happy."
    (Thich Nhat Hanh)

And that's only part of the story.
    Meditation is one of the spokes of the Noble Eigthfold Path and an integral part of the practice.
    It was while sitting in meditation that the Buddha attained enlightenment.
    There is nothing optional about the practice of meditation in Buddhism.

Shoshin