Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `  South Carolina, USA Veteran
edited January 2007 in Arts & Writings
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

This excellent movie, based on Patrick Süskind’s novel, Das Parfum, is a truly great work of art, which I suspect may very well become a cult classic, much like “King of Hearts.”

The guy with “the nose” has a wonderful olfactory talent that enables him to get by with his activities through, in effect, giving him a full range of “vision” of where dangers, traps, or possible discoverers of his activities may appear. He is most probably autistic to some degree, yet very focused.

This movie is based on a truly amazing novelist’s imagination and does not depend on the plastics imagination so many movies employ. Yet, it does not suffer here, either.

I think that the obsessions portrayed in this movie add to its haunting effects long after the movie has ended. I’ve thought about this movie for days. ENJOY!

CAUTION: One should read very little about this movie beforehand, as SPOILERS will really ruin this one for you.

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    I read the book a few years ago as it was going around in my group of friends and I really loved it. It was a fantastic read. I still think about it from time to time. It has clung to me like an expensive perfume. (Oh, that was bad!)

I can't wait to see the movie, so looking forward to it.

Hi, Nirvana! Nice to see you!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2007
    If anyone else loves the strangeness of our sense of smell, the most primitive and 'direct' of our sensory inputs, they may also enjoy Tom Robbins' Jitterbug Perfume (a book - not a film).