Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tools for happiness

EarthninjaEarthninja WandererWest Australia Veteran
Namaste Sangha

The mind and subconscious often work in predictable ways. Because of this we can use tools to become a happier person without trying to acquire anything.

A great basic tool is a gratitude journal, everyday just write down 5 things you are thankful for. This allows your thought train to travel into gratitude which makes you happier straight away!

Another one is affirmations. Say a child is called fat at school, those verbal words imprint subconsciously. These thoughts then randomly appear later on and hold some hurtful feelings. The child then suffers and the cycle continues,
You can rewire these by simply saying out loud "I am totally happy with who I am"
Say these over and over with feeling and this wires into the subconscious.

The reason I brought this up is because I read @federica quote about imagine the person you meet dying that night, and what you do with them in that moment is one of the last things they will have. Or something like that.

This worked so well with my clients, so much compassion knowing that we all must die and they might at any moment. What could I do to make their day more enjoyable?

And a side effect was I felt good too! What a great tool.

Do you guys have any happiness tools?

Try the 5 things of gratitude also.

1) my gorgeous wife
2) my awesome dogs
3) that I have a roof and food
4) a job I enjoy
5) the path of self inquiry(meaning to my life)
BunksBuddhadragondantepwShoshinmmo

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Tools for Happiness?

Understanding that happiness can be as subject to change and suffering cause as everything else.
    Going, going, always going on, always becoming Buddha.

Oh..and hand made ice cream on a hot day.

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

1) The Buddha
    2) The Dhamma
    3) The Sangha
    4) Health
    5) The way to the cessation of dukkha

Earthninja
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited April 2015

I ( like everybody here) have been fortunate enough to be born in human form ( this precious human life ) with the ability to think and reason things out... I can't be any more grateful than that :)

Gratefulness

dantepw
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    Great posts guys! Thanks. Here's from the sangha here in Perth!

Buddhas Birthday festival!

This is me and my wife.
    ToshlobsterdantepwVastmind
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@how said:> Oh..and hand made ice cream on a hot day.

Ice cream is good any day!

EarthninjaVastmindlobster
  • . . . must resist posting of picture of ice cream cone. Must suffer the Dukkha ... otherwise I might not exist. :p

More Gratitude:

• chocolate (an essential food item)
    • gratitude for gratitude
    • iPad to communicate with the grateful
    • art
    • all of @bookworms gratitude's (yep I sneaked in extra's)
    Vastmindbookworm
  • Buddhist 'tools' for happiness consist of all skillful means that facilitate the following of the Eight-fold Noble Path. Nourish your natural will towards awakening, have faith in your true self. Apply yourself towards your liberation with diligence and help others along the way.

Shoshin