Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attention Awareness & Mindfulness

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited April 2015 in Buddhism Basics

This short youtube clip (approx 4 minutes) is packed with information for those who are just starting out on the mindfulness path (It might also be helpful (jog ones memory) for those of us who are well underway on our journey of 1000 miles)

And this "Adyashanti" youtube clip will give one some insight into what resting in awareness is all about...May we all rest as awareness :)

KennethlobsterEarthninjadantepw

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@Kenneth

I didn't yet catch the clip but your comment reminded me of Buddhist meditative training temples in Japan where the distractions of nearby traffic noise were presented as one of the better practice models to work with.

ShoshinlobsterKenneth
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2015

So is he talking about mindfulness on or off the cushion here? What I found interesting was the observation that consistent attention on an object leads to better peripheral awareness. That makes sense on the cushion in meditation, where varying degrees of attention can be placed on an object like the breath, but I'm not sure how this applies to mindfulness off the cushion.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

I think that constant attention on an object is an exercise in concentration.

The development of the skill of concentration can allow one to be more attentive to all phenomena (which includes peripheral awareness), as opposed to being oblivious to everything that is not in the center of your vision.

lobsterShoshinEarthninja
  • nottwonottwo Explorer

"just sit in the center watching,,then forget that you are there " =)

Shoshin
  • ZenniZenni Veteran

@SpinyNorman - "so is he talking about mindfulness on or off cushion here?"

I think he's explaining the difference between attention and awareness and how we can use this knowledge when we meditate.

..."but I'm not sure how this applies to mindfulness off the cushion."

Say, I'm running late for a very important appointment and here I am waiting to cross a very busy road.
    I will have many thoughts in my mind,
    will I be late,
    how late will I be,
    when is the traffic light going to change colour....

(My attention)I will be staring at the traffic lights.

If and when I realise, I "come back", I will pay attention to my breathing. With mindful breathing, my thoughts dissipates... The traffic light and the busy road become my awareness.

Namaste
    Zenni

So redirecting attention away from thoughts?

• ZenniZenni Veteran

I think it all depends on what thoughts...
    "My" thoughts while waiting to cross the road are useless, leading to impatience and anxiety.
    If my thoughts were about some passages I read earlier about Buddha's teachings, I will not redirect my attention.

Wouldn't the first stage be recognising that these thoughts are occurring?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Zenni said:
    I think it all depends on what thoughts...
    "My" thoughts while waiting to cross the road are useless, leading to impatience and anxiety.
    If my thoughts were about some passages I read earlier about Buddha's teachings, I will not redirect my attention.

My thoughts would be entirely focused on not becoming a sticky mess on someone's car bumper and bonnet (fender and hood, for my ATP buddies).

Zenni
  • ZenniZenni Veteran

Yes. But thoughts do "creep" in.

For me, they used to be all over the place, all the time.
    Now, a lot, a lot less.
    But they do "come and play" in some tight situations.