Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Poll: Pro-life or Pro-choice.

2»

Comments

• I would like to thank you all for your contributions. This allowed me to get a better perspective of my fellow Buddhists. :)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@stacey said:
    I think when we look at hard topics such as this, we can easily say what we would do or what we did, but in the end, it is not our choice, beliefs, or business as to what another person's path should be. I live in Texas, so this is an ongoing topic. I sat in the gallery and watched Wendy Davis filibuster to deaf ears when she read the stories of women who had to make difficult decisions in their lives. Even reproductive rights as simple as contraceptives are being taken away because we must live under other people's beliefs and criticisms. There is supposed to be free will, but it's politician's will. We even have one congressperson who has decided to take up anti-reproductive-rights because she regrets the 2 abortions she had in her 20s. These are the people who are legislating our moralities.

I'm pro-none-of-my-business.

To be honest, and I'm sorry, but I think that's rather simplistic. Those representatives with deaf ears were elected to the state legislature by somebody. They only cast their votes after the people of their districts cast their votes.

Sorry you live in such a Republican dominated state with such backward views.

• @vinlyn I'm a Republican. :(

Sorry. Your choice.

• @vinlyn Just the party. I'm a libertarian.
  • staceystacey Explorer

I love my state, but I feel I no longer 'belong' here. The animosity toward anyone who believes anything that goes against what is scripted within the GOP is seen as an enemy. At one time we worked across the aisle and could speak with our neighbors (and even family!) respectfully. I've voted on both sides of the ticket. Hell, I even voted for Rick Perry back when he could speak coherently and didn't have God whispering to him. Those days are gone and I'm not sure they will come back soon. I struggle with it on a daily basis. Being drowned out. Might makes right. We've talked about moving somewhere where the climate is friendlier, but I feel like I am giving in to them. I have a right to be here. I have generations of family born and buried here. My life is here.

Sometimes I can laugh, but most days I am just bitter. I know that is something I have to work through and I am trying. I'm a political junkie. Perhaps I am attached/addicted to the bitterness or that is my drama. I'm conflicted between fighting and leaving it alone. Is that detaching or complacency? I'm not sure at this point. I'm not going to go on a hunger strike over bringing deep fryers back into schools, but there is real suffering that our representatives are ignoring.

I'd welcome the thoughts. I've actually been thinking on this for some time. I am not as experienced nor as well-read as many of you. I am in my last semester of grad school and am struggling to finish so I can delve more into Buddhist teachings.

I did not intend to hijack the thread, so I apologize. Admin can delete, if necessary.

silverHamsaka
  • @thenovicemonk41 said:
    Everyone! I'd like to do a little poll. Being taught almost exclusively by Tibetan Buddhist teachers, I'm proud to say pro-life.

I am ashamed for you and your 'teachers'. Just so you know. <3

• robotrobot Veteran

@lobster said:

Might as well jump in. The water's fine.

lobster
  • @lobster Why are you ashamed? Becuase we value life over a women's choice to terminate her baby?
    lobster
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I think @Federica should've nipped this one in the bud. Who couldn't see this coming?
    With giant yellow, red, and orange polka dots.

• I wish we could delete them ourselves
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@thenovicemonk41 said:
    I wish we could delete them ourselves

Delete what?

• robotrobot Veteran

@thenovicemonk41 said:
    I wish we could delete them ourselves

You can edit yours out.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@stacey said:
    I love my state, but I feel I no longer 'belong' here. The animosity toward anyone who believes anything that goes against what is scripted within the GOP is seen as an enemy. At one time we worked across the aisle and could speak with our neighbors (and even family!) respectfully. I've voted on both sides of the ticket. Hell, I even voted for Rick Perry back when he could speak coherently and didn't have God whispering to him. Those days are gone and I'm not sure they will come back soon. I struggle with it on a daily basis. Being drowned out. Might makes right. We've talked about moving somewhere where the climate is friendlier, but I feel like I am giving in to them. I have a right to be here. I have generations of family born and buried here. My life is here.

Sometimes I can laugh, but most days I am just bitter. I know that is something I have to work through and I am trying. I'm a political junkie. Perhaps I am attached/addicted to the bitterness or that is my drama. I'm conflicted between fighting and leaving it alone. Is that detaching or complacency? I'm not sure at this point. I'm not going to go on a hunger strike over bringing deep fryers back into schools, but there is real suffering that our representatives are ignoring.

I'd welcome the thoughts. I've actually been thinking on this for some time. I am not as experienced nor as well-read as many of you. I am in my last semester of grad school and am struggling to finish so I can delve more into Buddhist teachings.

I did not intend to hijack the thread, so I apologize. Admin can delete, if necessary.

Welcome Stacey :) I've heard Austin, TX is the fierce bastion of reason (and quite a bit of liberalism, fwiw) in the Great State of TX.

As far as politicians, I have to agree that there's some PEOPLE who vote in those politicians. What makes me sick is said politicians pretending to have genuine religious beliefs like their constituents. Yuck. I try not to be a political junkie but it's hard to do, about every four years or so . . . I can already feel myself getting swept up in the tide.

vinlynstacey
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Isn't valuing life also about valuing the life of the person carrying the baby? The potential life that baby could lead being born to a parent(s) who doesn't want a child and/or cannot care for them? What about valuing the lives already living in an overpopulated world?

staceyRowan1980

It is rather complex, isn't it, @Karasti. Unfortunately, some see it as black and white.

stacey
  • staceystacey Explorer

I'm in the San Antonio area, which is about an hour south of Austin. I belong to some liberal groups and am active in my county, so I seek out like-minded people. Do you want to know how many times I have been told that I am ruining the country (little ol' me?), usually over one issue like this? I'm sure many of you see it too. It's easy to get wrapped up in it and take it very personally. But, I'm a strong, resilient Texas woman so I go out to my garden and angrily squash tomatoes instead of clutching my pearls and feigning offensiveness. Imagine their disdain if I told them I meditate and am an observer of the four noble truths, which are not Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Such is life. Everyone wants to live their best life and correct the wrongs of the world, but the devil is in the details.

Funny thing about polls like this - never been known to change anyone's mind and does nothing to bring together a community. So...unless you love division and picking sides, not much purpose really.

I need to find a balance. Need.

vinlynlobster

@karasti said:
    Isn't valuing life also about valuing the life of the person carrying the baby? The potential life that baby could lead being born to a parent(s) who doesn't want a child and/or cannot care for them? What about valuing the lives already living in an overpopulated world?

My thoughts are similar, and add to that what about letting babies grow up and be capable of making their own decisions. If we dictate (yeah, who's 'we'?) to everybody on the planet how to think and what to do, it would be like crippling their minds and hearts. It'll be good business for all those psychotherapists, though. You see, it's not really about abortion.

vinlynlobsterkarasti
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Amen.

staceylobsterZenshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@silver said:
    I think Federica should've nipped this one in the bud. Who couldn't see this coming?
    With giant yellow, red, and orange polka dots.

The discussion had not descended to an argumentative level at the time I last viewed the thread.
    Had I 'nipped it in the bud' I might well have been accused of unfair censorship and being too hasty and judgemental.

Whether one can 'see it coming' is debatable; I try to do things properly, but clairvoyance isn't my strong point... and even going by past experience, threads have always begun well...one can never tell when or if, they'll divert onto the Unskilful route...
    As it is, my wonderful friend and colleague, @Jason, has seen fit to act at the appropriate moment.

Thanks all.

Zenshin
This discussion has been closed.