Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pig Kneels to Pray in Front of Buddhist Temple in China

NMADDPNMADDP SUN Diego, California Veteran
edited April 2015 in General Banter

This happened on Feb 24, 2015.

Some said this pig is kneeling and praying. Some said this pig is lacking vitamin E therefore cannot stand up.

Some said the monks and Buddhists did chant the Heart sutra for this pig. When the chanting finished, the pig stood up. Instead of walking away, the pig walked to a tomb of a monk and kneel again.

In the end, the pig still got killed. The pig's owner said he did not know about the pig's praying in front of the temple. If he knows, he would not kill this pig.

(News and Pics)

(RAW)

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited April 2015

"Pig Kneels to Pray in Front of Buddhist Temple in China"

Yeah and pigs will fly :D However, all jokes aside.... who really knows ? Only the pig....

Does a pig have Buddha Nature ?

I can't see why not, it too is a sentient being and a very intelligent one at that....

The pig looks exhausted, stressed out and full of fear....

Rowan1980Kundo
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    Some say that although animals can't understand words, they can sense vibrations. As in vibrational frequency of beings.
    That pig could of understood who he was in that moment.
    Maybe he will be reborn a human, and the one who killed him a pig.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Pigs are nice and should not be eaten.

Rowan1980Kundo
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2015

I was invited a few days ago out to a restaurant with some Buddhists I did not know well.
    They chose a Chinese restaurant because they knew I was a vegetarian and it had some vegetarian fare unlike the Thai restaurant which they more commonly frequented.

Some of them then said they were real foodies and ordered more exotic meats like ostrich to the table which surprised me because their formal practice seemed to place so much emphasis on being gentle and loving. After a few moments I realized that the repulsion I felt for the arriving food was misplaced. OK, it has actually been years since I've sat at a table where meat was served but why should I judge the serving of ostrich to be any worse than the serving of cow.
    I guess the joy at which they relished their dishes did seem like a bit of a disconnect following a formal evening of practice but different strokes for different folks.

I mention this because this thread of the kneeling pig who was later butchered for food
    brought up the same taste of sadness..... Immediately followed by me wondering why I should see this pigs butchery to be any worse than any other example of animal farming..

I guess I am just a sensitive little flower when it comes to the image of animal harvesting.

I also thought that the picture of the folks at that temple showed some of them in Gassho at the sight of the kneeling pig, which is understandable...until I realized they were actually just photographing it.
    Had my hopes up there again for a moment..

lobsterdantepwEarthninjaKundo

Pigs are physiologically very close to humans, so when they're not being eaten they are being experimented upon.

lobster
  • I like pigs. Lovely, beautiful, smart animals. <3

Yesterday I ate some ham at a family birthday gathering, even had a single gin and pomegranate juice. Oh the carnage of existence ...
    Ostrich was not on the menu.
    Oy veh, never gonna make rabbinical status or Moslem Dervish orthodoxy . . . :(
    I iz hypocrite [lobster kneels sadly before samsaran tendencies]

And now back to the holy crackling hamming it up

OM MAN! PIGGEE HAM

Wouldn't you like to hear the pitter-patter of tiny trotters and adopt some piglets?

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Wouldn't you like to hear the pitter-patter of tiny trotters and adopt some piglets?

No lie, if my wife and I owned our own place, we'd seriously consider this. Because piggies! :heart:

• I feel really bad for eating meat. I have an eating disorder which makes me a really picky eater. I never had veggies since I was young and always had lots of rice, beans, eggs and meat. Maybe someday this will be overcome and I can start eating/enjoying vegetables and let go of meat. :)

Interesting post, though! :)

Rowan1980
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@NMADDP said: In the end, the pig still got killed. The pig's owner said he did not know about the pig's praying in front of the temple. If he knows, he would not kill this pig.

I doubt this very much - things of this nature can't happen without it being spread via social media within nanoseconds of the event. That nobody told him, or he didn't know, is improbable, to say the least.

• thug4lyfethug4lyfe Explorer

@Shoshin said:
    "Pig Kneels to Pray in Front of Buddhist Temple in China"

Yeah and pigs will fly :D However, all jokes aside.... who really knows ? Only the pig....

Does a pig have Buddha Nature ?

I can't see why not, it too is a sentient being and a very intelligent one at that....

The pig looks exhausted, stressed out and full of fear....

Of course he would be exhausted, stressed out and full of fear, cause he just realised he is a pig this life!!!! Time to repent guys!!!!!

• thug4lyfethug4lyfe Explorer

@federica said:
    I doubt this very much - things of this nature can't happen without it being spread via social media within nanoseconds of the event. That nobody told him, or he didn't know, is improbable, to say the least.

Not to mention the pig probably went with peace, cause he realised some of his Karmic debt has been paid. Perhaps he was a butcher in this previous life?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@thug4lyfe said:
    Perhaps he was a butcher in his previous life?

Perhaps.

Do you feel there is any hope for the pork? B)

Is there any hope for the lobster? ;)

lobsterKundo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I thought we had a thread on 'hope....? Has the Pig found re-birth there....?

Kundo