Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hello, everyone!

I'm new to newbuddhist.com so I guess I should introduce myself and start getting involved with you all :)
My name is Emily, I'm 22 and I'm currently training to be a meditation teacher, which is going really well!

Does anyone else teach meditation and if so, which type of meditation do you teach? :)

I also take part in regular yoga, which helps with the part time job I currently do (which is picking people's online shopping in a supermarket.. fun!), so I'm always on my feet and aching, but yoga helps a lot!

What are some of your favourite things to do in your spare time? :)

I look forward to becoming more involved on here!

Rowan1980ToshVanillithenovicemonk41VastmindlobsterdantepwKundoEarthninjaChrisv23cmockeymindFairyFellerpegembara

Comments

• Welcome, Emily!

My name is novicemonk41! I'm a former monk and soon will picking up ordination, again. It's nice to have you here with the community. You'll learn alot!
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Hi!! :awesome: ....

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Is it possible to meditate without being both a student and a teacher of what you practice?

and
    Welcome aboard, Zenlite_emily.

ElizEarthninja
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Hi there. Welcome!

I like to hang out with my kids who bring me much joy and angst (in fairly equal measurements!)

Hope your classes go well.
    dantepwzenlite_emilyKundo
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Welcome, Emily. Hope you find something useful here.

zenlite_emily
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(Damn! I knew I'd forgotten to say something!! :D )

Kundo
  • dantepwdantepw Veteran
    edited April 2015

Hi @zenlite_emily !!! Welcome! I hope you have loads of fun in here! :)

In my spare time I like to play music, games and program computer/mobile apps. What about you? Anything else besides meditation and yoga? :)

• Hi, Emily! Welcome and I hope you'll have a great time over here. :smile:

zenlite_emily
  • thenovicemonk41thenovicemonk41 Explorer
    edited April 2015
    @federica wasn't kidding about everyone here knowing everything. Well, we like to think so. XD
    zenlite_emilyRowan1980Earthninjalobster
  • @dantepw I love going on walks, riding my bike, listening to all kinds of music (you'll be surprised what my music taste is like :P)
    I have a huge passion for photography as well!
    I have too many interests, I won't bore you with all of them :P

dantepw
  • @thenovicemonk41 I love the fact you're a former monk! And I also love the fact that you guys know everything about everything ;) I'll have some interesting questions for all of you soon, no doubt!

thenovicemonk41
  • @federica beware, I'll be coming for you with my questions soon ;)

• @zenlite_emily I think it's cool you're becoming a meditation instructor! Not everyone can make it to a monastery or a Dharma center to pratice meditation! How did you get into meditation?
  • @thenovicemonk41 I think it was about 4 years ago, my nan sadly passed and I needed something to put my attention to, and meditation just popped up out of the blue (I'd never even thought about meditating) and I've meditated ever since! It's only been in the past 2 years (ish) that I've been looking into Buddhism properly, and the whole concept of it just brightens my day! :D

dantepw
  • @zenlite_emily I started praticing around the same experience. After my grandfather died I was looking for coping measures and it lead me to Buddhism! You'll love it here. I'm pretty new to this community, too!
    dantepw
  • KennethKenneth Veteran
    edited April 2015

Welcome from the previous newest member here! :)

Umm, maybe not. I think thenovicemonk41 came in after me. Anyway welcome! Its a fun board with lots of good folks!

zenlite_emily
  • @thenovicemonk41 it's a shame that both of our paths to Buddhism were such sad ones, but at the end of the day, it's led to something beautiful ☺️

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

I don't teach meditation, but I might one day if i'm successful in my practice, I practice anapanasati.

• @Kenneth why thank you!

• @bookworm I don't see why you wouldn't be successful! :)
    Teaching meditation is brilliant, I have always wanted to teach, but I didn't quite know what when I was younger. I suppose I've always had some kind of calling to teach meditation :)
    Anapanasati is mindfulness of breathing, am I right? :)

@zenlite_emily said: Anapanasati is mindfulness of breathing, am I right? :)

Yes that's right.

dantepw
  • @bookworm I have touched upon this type of meditation, but haven't delved too deep into it yet! It's very interesting!

bookworm
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Namaste Emily,

Nice to meet you. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. Some of us came for what we thought would be a short time and are now part of the furniture :)

I look forward to getting to know you.

_ /\ _
    Raven

howVastmindlobsterdantepw
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    Hi Emily!

I'm sort of in the same boat as you, I'm 26 years of age. Currently studying meditation and counselling. I would also like to teach on a basic level, but more like introduce people to meditation. That's all :) I don't feel qualified to teach even though I have a qualification in it haha.

I do Vipassana, Anapanasati, mindfulness/zen.

Welcome ! Look forward to hearing from you.
    bookworm
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran

Welcome.
    Good folks here.
    Wishing you well.

zenlite_emilylobsterdantepw

I'm using anapanasati to develop the 4 foundations of mindfulness, I barely scratched the surface, it is a work in progress, i'm hopeful through development and repeated practice that it will lead me to the 7 factors of enlightenment, and clear vision and deliverance.

lobsterzenlite_emily
  • Welcome Emily, I am sure you will like it here.

zenlite_emily
  • @lobster I'm training in Vipassana, Taoist, Transcendental and Zen meditation :)
    It's a pretty huge course but it's something I'm committed to doing, I'm enjoying it far too much :D
    dantepw
  • edited April 2015
    @dhammachick I can't wait to become part of the furniture too! :)
    Kundo
  • @Earthninja I would love to train in counselling as well, but I don't have the right qualifications to do so, which sucks :( I've tried everywhere as well!
    Nice to meet you!
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@zenlite_emily said:> lobster I'm training in Vipassana, Taoist, Transcendental and Zen meditation

That sounds like a really wide range of approaches. What's your favourite?

• edited April 2015
    @SpinyNorman it is! It's gonna take some time but I'm willing to put the effort in :)
    It's a close one really, I really love Taoist and Vipassana, I can't choose! Don't make me! :(
  • How does one train to be a meditation teacher?

VastmindEliz
  • @Nave650 there are a lot of online courses, some are genuine and accredited, some are somewhat bogus, so to speak.
    I'm currently taking an online course and have a face to face tutor/mentor helping along the way too :)
    Kundo
  • @zenlite_emily I agree. Here we are now! Being Buddhist, trying find out way to reachinf nirvana. What school of Buddhism do you subscribe to?
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. " - from the unpublished journals of John Muir

Welcome!

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

Emily, It's nice to meet you. There's a good group of folks here. I'm 53, live in Vermont USA and practice Zen Buddhism...

• thug4lyfethug4lyfe Explorer

I think OP is frauding, how do we know that you are really a girl? Where is your spoon pic?!

• robotrobot Veteran
    edited May 2015

I dunno @thug4lyfe . You look kinda nerdy. U sure ur a thug?

Vastmindhow
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

no match for me... :winky:

lobsterZenniZenshin
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran

Just have fun B)