Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Seeking Temple in South Florida

Chrisv23cChrisv23c New
edited April 2015 in Buddhism Basics
I live in South Florida, does anyone know if there are any temples in south Florida? :/ that I can go to and talk to someone?

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited April 2015

Can I put a tent in your yard and live there? LOL

I live in northern Minnesota (we got 3 inches of snow yesterday) but just spent 10 days in the Keys and Cocoa Beach and I'm sad that it's only summer here 2 months a year. I need to move! To me, all of Florida is a temple of summer to worship ;) I miss it. I will recover, of course, but coming home has lead to a bit of vacation blues. Thankfully I brought a jar of sand and plenty of shells home, so I can look at them and be sand that our sad is still frozen solid and our lakes still have ice floating in them ;)

Anyhow, it looks like Miami/Fort Lauderdale/Homestead all have some things available to you. How well they work for you, you will have to investigate yourself based on your needs.

Chrisv23c
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2015

Here's a useful site. On the far right, it says what "denomination" each center is. There are a number of Japanese Zen Centers of different schools, a couple of Korean Zen ctrs., and there's a Thich Nhat Hanh Vietnamese "Order of Interbeing" Ctr. Sounds cool. =) There are Theravada centers, as well. Quite a variety. You're in luck, OP!

http://www.smiling-buddha.com/fldharma/

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

HI, @Chrisv23c , just edited your title to give a broader explanation of content and purpose; smileys are nice, but on their own, convey nothing, and don't help in searches...

Thanks!

lobster
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I live in south FL. I know of 3 actual temples. This is my korean zen temple. :). There's a Thai Theravada temple in Miami. There's Huong Hai Vietnamese temple in Davie. The affiliated American group to this temple, where many more people speak English, is Broward Lotus Sangha. Huong Hai temple and Broward Lotus Sangha are under Thich Nhat Hanh's tradition. There's several other Tibetan centers and zen centers listed in the above dharma group links.

lobster
  • www.buddhanet.net

This is an awesome tool! They have an app you can download.
  • @federica said:
    HI, Chrisv23c , just edited your title to give a broader explanation of content and purpose; smileys are nice, but on their own, convey nothing, and don't help in searches...

Thanks!

Thanks :D i didn't know what to title it so i just put a smiley :P

• @seeker242 said:
    I live in south FL. I know of 3 actual temples. This is my korean zen temple. :). There's a Thai Theravada temple in Miami. There's Huong Hai Vietnamese temple in Davie. The affiliated American group to this temple, where many more people speak English, is Broward Lotus Sangha. Huong Hai temple and Broward Lotus Sangha are under Thich Nhat Hanh's tradition. There's several other Tibetan centers and zen centers listed in the above dharma group links.

I think I'm going out be checking out the Thai Theravada temple in Miami, because its really close to my house, i don't really know much about the different denominations :/ so i'm just going to be going their with an open mind and hoping i feel comfortable. Does anyone know if they allow "random" people to go there and ask questions? x/
    Thanks everyone! :awesome:

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited April 2015

@Chrisv23c said:
    Thai Theravada temple in Miami. Does anyone know if they allow "random" people to go there and ask questions?

Yes, that's what they're there for. :) Anyone can go and talk with the monks. You just have to go at the proper time and observe proper temple etiquette. The rules are on their website under visitor info.

• @seeker242 said:

Thanks C: and im nervous to go D:

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

When my sister and I were vacationing in Deerfield Beach (just by Boca Raton), we dropped in on a session of Tibetan Buddhism at the Thubten Kunga center. Yup, the real deal, a Tibetan geshe/monk.