Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If there was no Dukkha would we still meditate?

What do you guys think?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes of course. The Buddha continued to do so after Enlightenment.

Why, what do you think....?

dantepw
  • Oh, that is very interesting, I did not know it!

I think, up to this day, I still misunderstand what meditation really is - or at least why we practice it. Why would Buddha meditate after enlightenment?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2015

@dantepw, I think you also misunderstand what Enlightenment is.

let's establish that first:
    Tell me how you perceive an Enlightened being presents themselves...?

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I'm addicted to meditation and the doctors can'd do nuffink to help.

You're already under the best 'doctor' there is.... ;)

lobster
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    @dantepw it depends why we meditate I guess.
    If your seeking freedom from suffering then maybe you would stop after enlightenment. But maybe you enjoy it? It wouldn't matter.

If there we no dukkha I think a lot less would meditate. There are pleasant meditations that people enjoy doing so it's kind of a hobby for people.

Me it's for the cessation of suffering, the side effects are a nice bonus. :)

I don't think an enlightened being needs to do anything.
    dantepw
  • @Earthninja said:

I don't think an enlightened being needs to do anything.

Wot?

Nobody tells me Nothing! I'm off to rejoin the accursed but self indulgent Hinayanists ...

Earthninjadantepw
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"If there was no Dukkha would we still meditate?"

Tis possible meditation would become the recreational drug of choice :)

lobster
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    @lobster go on I dare you!
    Shoshinlobsterdantepw
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Well, the title of the thread is "If there was no dukkha, would we still meditate?"

Dukkha there will always be. It's our perception of dukkha that changes, as I understand it.

dantepw
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

No because if there were no dukkha, none of us would even be born to begin with. :)

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    If there was no dukkha, there would have never been the struggle that brought us to this point in evolution.

So no, I don't think so.

If there is dukkha but then it is overcome, I think the best thing would be to continue following the path.
  • KennethKenneth Veteran
    edited April 2015

If there was no dukkha I would never have started. And it took many rounds of excessive dukkha over the course of my lifetime for it to finally stick. I'm in for the duration now :)

lobster