Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Seeking a Buddhist temple

Hey, I've already asked a question similar to this one but I'm still just as confused as i was before i posted that discussion. I live in South Florida, in the Miami/Homestead area. I'm new to Buddhism and don't know which denomination is right for me, but i took a quiz online and it suggested zen. I have a lot of questions to ask :/ does anyone know of any temples in my area? And would i be able to ask the monks questions?

P.S. I've tried to search online for a temples near me and the only one that keeps popping up is a Thai Buddhist temple in Homestead, I was planning on going but i don't know anything about it. Has anyone gone there, and if so how was it?

Thank You everyone :awesome:

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited April 2015

generally they are very receptive to questions and meeting with you. Sometimes they prefer you to schedule ahead, just depends on the place. I think Thai Buddhism is generally more Theravada (i could be wrong about that though, it isn't my tradition!). Sometimes, you have to dip your toes in to really know what works. Try not to worry too much! Many places now have websites and email, if you can find one with email or find their phone number, then get in touch and ask them. Tell them you are new to Buddhism and would like a chance to check out their center and maybe ask some questions. You will know more what you want to ask when you get there. The only way to test the waters is to get in :) If they have a meditation class/group schedule, plan to go. It'll ease your anxiety probably if you call/email and ask what expectations are. It is common to remove shoes, and sometimes to stand when a teacher enters the room. It just depends on what they have decided to do as a community. They arent going to beat you with a stick for not knowing though! Sometimes, you have to take whatever info you can, bite the bullet, and go for it. You'll know when you've found your spiritual home, and you'll be amazed at the people who think like you. Nothing to be afraid of :) (and that's coming from me...I'm scared to go to new restaurants just because I don't know their protocol, lol)

Chrisv23c
  • Chrisv23cChrisv23c New
    edited April 2015

@karasti said:
    generally they are very receptive to questions and meeting with you. Sometimes they prefer you to schedule ahead, just depends on the place. I think Thai Buddhism is generally more Theravada (i could be wrong about that though, it isn't my tradition!). Sometimes, you have to dip your toes in to really know what works. Try not to worry too much! Many places now have websites and email, if you can find one with email or find their phone number, then get in touch and ask them. Tell them you are new to Buddhism and would like a chance to check out their center and maybe ask some questions. You will know more what you want to ask when you get there. The only way to test the waters is to get in :) If they have a meditation class/group schedule, plan to go. It'll ease your anxiety probably if you call/email and ask what expectations are. It is common to remove shoes, and sometimes to stand when a teacher enters the room. It just depends on what they have decided to do as a community. They arent going to beat you with a stick for not knowing though! Sometimes, you have to take whatever info you can, bite the bullet, and go for it. You'll know when you've found your spiritual home, and you'll be amazed at the people who think like you. Nothing to be afraid of :) (and that's coming from me...I'm scared to go to new restaurants just because I don't know their protocol, lol)

Thanks, and thats the thing im really anxious to go :C I'm a very shy person and I'd be going a lone :/ but thank you for your response

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2015

In some cases it is more 'lineages' rather than 'sects'. So a teacher has two gifted pupils and they each establish a teaching sangha. It appears that the differences are 'sectarian' but really they are just differences in how the individual lineages teach as based on the understanding passed on in the lineage to particular people.

Chrisv23c
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

The first time I went to a center, I went alone, too. And the first time I went to a retreat, I also went alone, with like 40 people I'd never met nor spoken to. They are very welcoming people. They will treat you with kindness. That's what they do :) I doubt anyone will have all the answers to the exact questions you have because so much of it depends on how you feel when you are there. Your best bet is to email or call and talk to someone ahead of time who can answer your questions of what to expect so that you feel at ease enough to give it a try. It's worth it.

• You can as suggested email questions ahead of visit time.

You can speak to friendly zen priests and monks on the ask a teacher section here
    http://www.zenforuminternational.org

... or do a search for treeleaf, they have an online zendo and a couple of priests to talk to via the net and a forum.

We have several zen practitioners here who can answer questions.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

http://www.meetup.com/ is another good place to find local groups. There are several local zen groups on there. :)