Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

re-engineering Jesus

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Passed along in email was the newspaper tale of how police, using the Shroud of Turin as a starting point, have re-engineered Jesus to depict how he might have looked as a boy.

The re-engineering was done using the same technique that allowed police to bag Mafia chieftains in the past.

The story refers to the shroud -- without citing any source -- as "the world's most famous relic."

What good any of this might do for even the most devout Christian escapes me. I'm as much a fan of a good story as the next man (I'm more or less a Buddhist after all), but seriously, what good can come of such stuff?

I'm not scoffing ... I'm really curious: Is anyone happier? Does anyone feel less pain? Is lamentation decreased or augmented? A good story is a wonderful thing, but does it count as real nourishment?

Comments

• SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

Perhaps some advance in scientific knowhow? Totally irrelevant to me what he looked like, it's what he did that matters. Thought the shroud had been de-bunked anyway???? :confused:

Zenshin
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Baloney. The shroud has long been proven to be the wrong date to be Jesus' shroud, so the whole premise is faulty.

Zero
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Also, it seems that it's been all but proven that Jesus was most likely a dark-skinned man. Until they can start depicting him as anything other than a blond haired blue eyed European, I can't take them seriously with regards to what they think he looked like.

ZenshinVastmind
  • KennethKenneth Veteran

People who accept the Shroud of Turin at face value probably think it's fantastic..

VastmindRowan1980
  • KennethKenneth Veteran

@karasti said:
    Also, it seems that it's been all but proven that Jesus was most likely a dark-skinned man. Until they can start depicting him as anything other than a blond haired blue eyed European, I can't take them seriously with regards to what they think he looked like.

Yes, I thought the kid looked more European than Mid Eastern. Since the kid's face was computer generated from the shroud, that might add to the evidence that the shroud is a fake were any more needed beyond the carbon dating.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I've told you before, the Buddha was an English gentleman, that's why he was a jolly decent chap.

lobster
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited May 2015

@genkaku said:
    ...using the Shroud of Turin as a starting point, have re-engineered Jesus to depict how he might have looked as a boy.

Jacques de Molay is turning in his grave I'm sure, minus the shroud!

@lobster said:

Maybe the Buddha was Babylonian?

Mandala vs Persian carpet

lobster